The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Why not Cody Franson

Type R

1) That's just not true at all. He's barely topped 30 in the NHL. How hard is it to use google?

2) Not really, no. We have 4 waiver-eligible RHD's as it currently stands.

3) There's literally zero proof of that. That's simply your opinion.

5) His 29 points in 80 games during the 2010-11 season with Nashville are pretty comparable to his numbers with Toronto, and if I'm not mistaken he did that with less TOI and PP time (having guys like Weber and Suter in front of him).

If people get frustrated with Alex Edler's inconsistency, we'll be seeing riots similar to 2011 with Franson in a Canucks sweater. Also, he's really slow...

These points just make me want the Canucks to sign Franson more. Top 30 is the NHL is pretty damn good. There are 30 teams in the NHL each with 6 to 8 Dman that play regularly. Top 30 in scoring makes him a top pairing player at least offensively. He also scored more points than any of the Canucks Dmen last year.

These points just make me want the Canucks to sign Franson more. Top 30 is the NHL is pretty damn good. There are 30 teams in the NHL each with 6 to 8 Dman that play regularly. Top 30 in scoring makes him a top pairing player at least offensively. He also scored more points than any of the Canucks Dmen last year.

I was saying he barely topped 30 points, not that he was top-30 in the league for points by a d man.

but he was just 3 points shy of being top 30 in the league.

Which I'll admit is good, but to me scoring just over 30 doesn't make up for his poor defensive play. Plus the poster I quoted claimed he had "multiple 40+ point seasons", which is what I was refuting.

The hype around Franson is ridiculous. Everytime a local BC boy is up for FA or in trade speculation we hype him up beyond belief. The same with prospects like Harkins. Makes for a good sob story, and you can tell which posters just get their news from the local beat writers and which ones actually watch hockey, and not just nucks games.

As Mr. Monohan pointed out, the dude is slow, he has never topped 45 points, struggled in the playoffs, and is not overtly physical or nasty. His main attribute is a decent slapper. Teams ruin their cap by signing mid-level guys to hefty contracts because of the nature of FA. We got 3 d-men who are similar in level of play to Franson, we dont need another slightly above average d-man.

Others are saying wait until next year to pick up a top 4 Dman and go for Seabrook. I hardly think Chicago is going to let him go that easily. We need to shore up the top 4 with the exit of Bieksa. Does not sound like Weber or Bart is going to fit that bill. There is lots of speculation whether he is PMD or he is too slow etc. etc. Much has to depend on what is out there within the next 2 years. Is he the best that we can possibly/realistically get or is someone else in the works? A high skilled big bodied player is needed and at 27, Franson could be of use if the price is right.

Others are saying wait until next year to pick up a top 4 Dman and go for Seabrook. I hardly think Chicago is going to let him go that easily. We need to shore up the top 4 with the exit of Bieksa. Does not sound like Weber or Bart is going to fit that bill. There is lots of speculation whether he is PMD or he is too slow etc. etc. Much has to depend on what is out there within the next 2 years. Is he the best that we can possibly/realistically get or is someone else in the works? A high skilled big bodied player is needed and at 27, Franson could be of use if the price is right.

Not with where this team's headed he's not.

Clendenning and Corrado both go through waivers before they can go to Utica...

Time to get younger people say, lets tank people say...

Pass on Franson and lets see what we got with Corrado and Clendenning.

All the Canucks Dmen came from the same cookie cutter and non have B_lls that Bieska had. I would rather a tough stay at home Dman than Franson and see how Clendenning and Corrado do. They are cheaper and appeared to be NHL ready.

Maybe offensively but overall, no. Not even close.

:picard:

A 6'5 215lbs right handed shot who actually uses his body and gets in on the play, He was strong defensively on a poor defensive team in Toronto... 5 years younger as well. Where is advantage Hamhuis? The countless cough ups? Because he was selected for the olympic squad? I like Hamhuis but its time for a refresh

A 6'5 215lbs right handed shot who actually uses his body and gets in on the play, He was strong defensively on a poor defensive team in Toronto... 5 years younger as well. Where is advantage Hamhuis? The countless cough ups? Because he was selected for the olympic squad? I like Hamhuis but its time for a refresh

He's not strong defensively. Watch some Leafs games these last few years and you'll see that.

I know Hamhuis isn't as good as he was a couple years ago but the fact he made TC while Franson wasn't even considered should say enough.

He's not strong defensively. Watch some Leafs games these last few years and you'll see that.

I know Hamhuis isn't as good as he was a couple years ago but the fact he made TC while Franson wasn't even considered should say enough.

I won't argue with his defensive abilities. I watched several leaf games this year and years prior and have seen Franson alot over the years, he isn't the strongest defensive dman, but he isnt that terrible either. What I am saying is he is young, big and he hits and joins the rush, by no means is he "the answer" but I don't see him being a huge downgrade. I would be happy with Hamhuis gone and leaving it to Corrado and Clendening. I do think Franson could be a great fit here though. Its time for some bigger changes here period. IF Hamhuis starts the season here, he won't finish it here

All the Canucks Dmen came from the same cookie cutter and non have B_lls that Bieska had. I would rather a tough stay at home Dman than Franson and see how Clendenning and Corrado do. They are cheaper and appeared to be NHL ready.

With Barts and Hamhuis we have our stay at home guys, what we don't have and haven't had since Erhoff left (we had our best season ever when Ehroff was here) is an offensive guy who can play top pairing minutes, Weber or the rookies can't fit this role but Franson can. Corrado is good but is more of a two-way guy and not capable of being a PP QB.

With Barts and Hamhuis we have our stay at home guys, what we don't have and haven't had since Erhoff left (we had our best season ever when Ehroff was here) is an offensive guy who can play top pairing minutes, Weber or the rookies can't fit this role but Franson can. Corrado is good but is more of a two-way guy and not capable of being a PP QB.

No he can't. He's no more in the mold of Ehrhoff than Edler is.

And we already have Edler (who's also better than Franson IMO).

I won't argue with his defensive abilities. I watched several leaf games this year and years prior and have seen Franson alot over the years, he isn't the strongest defensive dman, but he isnt that terrible either. What I am saying is he is young, big and he hits and joins the rush, by no means is he "the answer" but I don't see him being a huge downgrade. I would be happy with Hamhuis gone and leaving it to Corrado and Clendening. I do think Franson could be a great fit here though. Its time for some bigger changes here period. IF Hamhuis starts the season here, he won't finish it here

Hamhuis isn't going anywhere, he'll sign an extension.

The silence of 30 GMs speaks volumes on Franson.

People get carried away by the glamour stuff....size, big shot from the point, etc.

Watch Franson play in close quarters, watch his footwork. He stumbles around and is slow to react. He kinda makes up with his reach and long stick, but only partly. For $5M/year or more I want defensively-sound defensemen...Franson isn't that guy. CDC would have him lynched by mid-season.

Archived