The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

can ayone tell me what happen to mathias

hockeygod77

He plays really soft for a big guy.

Yep, he's 6'5 but plays like he's 5'6" much like Franson another player that plays a small game. I have hope that Grenier has learned to play his size this season

Yeah, he went on vacation at various points of the season, he wanted far too much compensation for it, he has a tendency to play a tunnel-vision game (ala David Booth) and he is aloof when it comes to playing the kind of physical game he needs to - with far too many skate-bys when he should have been taking the body.

I like Matthias, and he has some good tools, but he's beyond the point in his career where he can play intermittent hockey and have the kind of value to command more money.

So all the people saying he was worth a 2nd at the trade deadline and Benning screwed up royally were totally on point because Matthias is clearly wanted league wide.

Yeah, it's quite difficult to procure high draft picks for players when nobody is offering them. But at CDC, that's just annoying details.

As Jack Fig points out, the availability of draft picks at the deadline is very different from what happens immediately before the draft and immediately after.

In case anyone did not notice, a lot of draft picks were traded away for not very much at the deadline but became very hard to obtain in the lead up to the draft.

At at this point no one is looking to draft away draft picks for short term help.

As for Matthias, he value was high at the deadline, as he had been on a hot streak. HIs performance then dried up completely. I would be very surprised if he gets more than $2.5 million and I would not be surprised if he gets less.

And there is no reason for the Canucks to sign him. With Daniel, Baertschi, Higgins, Prust, Kenins, and Gaunce on the depth chart at LW I do not see why the Canucks would want him. He slots in behind Daniel and Baertschi and is nowhere near as good defensively as Higgins or Prust, and he does not play the high energy game that Kenins plays.

And at center he is not good enough defensively. Possibly he could slot in at 4C ahead of Vey, but the Canucks just signed Vey and probably view him as having more long run potential than Matthias.

The Canucks could have and should have traded him for a second round pick at the deadline.

i know I'm being an arm chair gm buthey i know talent and skill when i see it..if you think guance virtanen bowser etc will be good nhl players soon you guys are wrong...the players the canucks pick are always steps behind..good for junior leagues and maybe ahl but your giving up great talent in mathias lack and kassian..you watch the canucks will not score many goals again and the defence will get beat up..you need tough d men that can play and you need goalies that play with an edge.. i don't see any improvements...you got dorset prust and burrows...the rest of the team will get pushed around..you have a soft team benign and west coast teams will just punish the juniors...

Given that the UFA market has taken a strong turn to the buyer's favour, I wouldn't really be opposed to re-signing Mattias at an AAV starting with 2.

Free agents just aren't getting paid what many were expecting. The 2015-16 salary cap, and uncertainty about where that figure is headed for 2016-17, means that many GMs are showing surprising level of restraint and we're just not seeing "mad money" getting thrown around like in previous years.

I think it's looking more and more unlikely that Matthias earns a big payday (people were predicting he'd get more than $4 million per season only a month or two ago). I actually wouldn't be surprised if Matthias ends up accepting something closer to half that amount (which would put him right in our price range).

That said, Matthias isn't the only UFA looking like he'll be settling for less money than expected this summer. And there are still a couple options out there I'd be much more interested in pursuing, for the right price.

Yeah I wondered the same thing in the second half of the season and the playoffs - where did he go? Free agency is supposed to be an exciting and literally rewarding time for players, but for others it is painful as they find out nobody wants them or their bargaining power is essentially non-existent.

Overpriced, underachieving, only scores goals and doesn't do much else at high-enough levels to warrant big money.

Not surprised they let him go, more surprised/ disappointed at Zack's deal and how everything fell apart between him and team, but I digress.

Archived