The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs re-sign Nazem Kadri

The Leafs announced today that the club has signed forward Nazem Kadri to a one-year contract extension:

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Sunday that the club has signed forward Nazem Kadri to a one-year contract extension.

Kadri, 24, finished fourth among Maple Leaf skaters in scoring last season with 39 points (18 goals, 21 assists) in 73 regular season games. The London, Ontario native has appeared in 250 career NHL games – all with Toronto – and has collected 152 points (64 goals, 88 assists) to go along with 134 penalty minutes. Kadri was originally drafted by the Maple Leafs in the first round (7th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=773982

Kadri...another one of the over-hyped, unable to translate potential into NHL level play on a consistent basis type of player that Toronto can't get enough of, though Shanahan doesn't seem to be making all that much of a commitment to him.

After this contract, Kadri will be playing in the KHL where he'll be a superstar (if Nigel Dawes can be a superstar in the KHL, so can Kadri).

Kadri...another one of the over-hyped, unable to translate potential into NHL level play on a consistent basis type of player that Toronto can't get enough of, though Shanahan doesn't seem to be making all that much of a commitment to him.

After this contract, Kadri will be playing in the KHL where he'll be a superstar (if Nigel Dawes can be a superstar in the KHL, so can Kadri).

Any other NHL development system and Kadri would thrive. Leafs fraked him up big time.

Any other NHL development system and Kadri would thrive. Leafs fraked him up big time.

Hard to say...the player has to take some ownership of his own development at some point in time. Only my opinion, but it doesn't seem like Kadri's done that.

Burkie calling Kadri out when the kid was 18/19 didn't help. Never a good thing (as we've seen with players like Hodgson and Kassian)...but there's a common theme that runs through kids that get called out (i.e., they don't achieve any success). For our sake, I hope Baertschi can be the anomaly.

Meh that was two years ago, besides that was the shortened season and everybody knows the leafs fall off the cliff at about the 40-50 game mark every year. The only reason they made the playoffs was because it was a 48 game season lol

They were not doing that bad until they fired Carlyle which was just a huge mistake.

perhaps Babs can get through to him.

44 points in 48 games in the season the leafs made the playoffs. he can put up 70 points in a season if he stays focused. He is not this bust that people on here seem to think he is.

^ These guys are the clear thinkers

Hard to say...the player has to take some ownership of his own development at some point in time. Only my opinion, but it doesn't seem like Kadri's done that.

Burkie calling Kadri out when the kid was 18/19 didn't help. Never a good thing (as we've seen with players like Hodgson and Kassian)...but there's a common theme that runs through kids that get called out (i.e., they don't achieve any success). For our sake, I hope Baertschi can be the anomaly.

That's one of the dumbest things you can do imo is call out a young kid, especially publicly. As soon as their confidence is ruined they will never reach their full potential, barring few exceptions.

His career is approaching a crossroads - is he going to buckle down and become a top six center, or waste his talents and amble towards the inevitable move to Europe? I hope for the Leafs' sake it's the former, but I suspect it will be the latter.

Hmm sounds like someone familiar? Kassian...

Kassian may have not been over-hyped by everyone, but he sure was by CDC who were quick to label him "The next Todd Bertuzzi" after 2.5 seasons...

Seriously though Kadri is like 24 years old he still has a couple of more years to prove himself.

Archived