The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey Article

NHL'er

So in his years in the AHL with his previous call ups to the Kings he never realized he might need to get stronger and improve his skating. I find it hard to believe that nobody ever laid it out for him before now.

I don't like to be all that critical of prospects but how was this something that he didn't know earlier. The little guys in the NHL are often the ones who have to be in the best shape to make up for the deficiency. Jordan Subban has known this since he was a kid, he didn't wait till after his rookie year to decide this might be an issue and he is ridiculously strong and powerful.

It just speaks to professionalism.

i like vey and his work ethic his team skills and his iq yes draws are going to be a crucial part of his 3c roll wich we all know will happen when horvat get pushed up. but he put up something like 26 points in his first nhl "season" basically tied horvat with less games. thats not really something to over look. hes a good kid i say give him rope. whats iut gunna hurt our situation??? lol

Canucks have Cassels looking for a spot this year and he is a center that is bigger, stronger and plays a 2 way game also Grenier who is supposed to be good on the draw and big. Gaunce was a center, now playing wing that is also looking to make the big club. I see no reason to give Vey a spot because he played for Willie in the "Hat" he should have to earn the spot not given it like last year. Canucks also have Vertanen ready to challenge for a spot and McCann could also but he and Vertanen can be sent back to junior.

Ummm.....

• Vey is listed at 6'0" 189 and Cassels is listed at 6'1" 183, he is not bigger and he is 4 years younger. Cassels has been playing in junior so if he looks strong, it's because he has been playing against boys. I would be very surprised if he is stronger than Vey.
  • Grenier is a winger
  • Gaunce is a winger who they are grooming to be a power forward
  • Virtanen does have a shot but his defensive game is in question, but again he is a winger
  • McCann isn't ready

Bottom line is that Vey has no serious challengers this year. He is a character player which is why they picked him up in the first place. To not give him a chance to adapt to the NHL game after a decent rookie season would be foolish at this point. He is working on his strength and his first 2 strides this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if he came to camp 5-10 lbs heavier. It'll make all the difference.

I'm not a big Vey fan but if he can get stronger and can improve his faceoff ability, I will be satisfied. If management see him as a winger, then he primarily needs to work on his strength. I think he demonstrated last season that he has the skill to play in the NHL, even if it was inconsistently shown.

Vey did not have the worst even strength corsi among regular forwards. Not surprised to see a very simple fallacy like that published in the Province, however.\

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=30&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

People expected too much of him imo. He was a rookie - the 'disappointment' that he's not up to NHL speed was to be expected imo.

What I liked about Vey - he works hard - he may not wonevery battle down low, or even the majority of them, but he gets down there into the hard areas, battles nevertheless and maintains his position. I think he was actually better in that sense than most people perceived. HIs speed could improve, but he has good vision and a good nose for the game and perhaps most importantly, he can put the puck in the net when he gets the opportunity. He only managed 61 shots last year, but scored 10 goals and there is literally nothing wrong with a 24 point rookie campaign. People complained a lot, as if he was spoon fed opportunities, but he played about 13 minutes a night, primarily bottom six minutes with Richie, Matthias and/or Dorsett.

Virtually every rookie, particularly young centers, struggle with the strenght aspects of the game (necessary to play down low, and often against difficult matchups, particularly on the road) - and they also tend to struggle in the faceoff circle. Playing with Horvat doesn't help put proper perspective to it.

I like him. He has some key tools - hockey sense, hard work, a good shot, plays responsible hockey and he's also intelligent with the puck (25 takeaways and 28 giveaways, a mere -3). His strength, skating/speed and abiltiy to handle the faceoff circle are bound to improve if he puts in the time and effort - and he certainly seems like the type to do so. He'll probably never be a 'physical' forward, but that's not his calling card.

Looking forward to a year of growth and seeing what he can do this season. I won't be surprised if he takes a significant step forward.

Vey did not have the worst even strength corsi among regular forwards. Not surprised to see a very simple fallacy like that published in the Province, however.\

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=30&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

People expected too much of him imo. He was a rookie - the 'disappointment' that he's not up to NHL speed was to be expected imo.

What I liked about Vey - he works hard - he may not wonevery battle down low, or even the majority of them, but he gets down there into the hard areas, battles nevertheless and maintains his position. I think he was actually better in that sense than most people perceived. HIs speed could improve, but he has good vision and a good nose for the game and perhaps most importantly, he can put the puck in the net when he gets the opportunity. He only managed 61 shots last year, but scored 10 goals and there is literally nothing wrong with a 24 point rookie campaign. People complained a lot, as if he was spoon fed opportunities, but he played about 13 minutes a night, primarily bottom six minutes with Richie, Matthias and/or Dorsett.

Virtually every rookie, particularly young centers, struggle with the strenght aspects of the game (necessary to play down low, and often against difficult matchups, particularly on the road) - and they also tend to struggle in the faceoff circle. Playing with Horvat doesn't help put proper perspective to it.

I like him. He has some key tools - hockey sense, hard work, a good shot, plays responsible hockey and he's also intelligent with the puck (25 takeaways and 28 giveaways, a mere -3). His strength, skating/speed and abiltiy to handle the faceoff circle are bound to improve if he puts in the time and effort - and he certainly seems like the type to do so. He'll probably never be a 'physical' forward, but that's not his calling card.

Looking forward to a year of growth and seeing what he can do this season. I won't be surprised if he takes a significant step forward.

Whoa oldnews, people don't want to read this kind of logic around here. He wasn't drafted by us, therefore he sucks.

Oldnews is just that: oldnews.

Please bring some new news to this forum or just leave forever.

Babych has spoken.

I'm expecting a reasonable jump in both scoring and possession stats from Vey this upcoming season.

If you look at his history, he's made noticeable improvements statistically in every league each subsequent year he has played. At his age, no reason this trend shouldn't continue.

But is that because you're a lot stronger now or that you just didn't train hard when you were 24? Also, strength may continue to grow but speed, agility etc tend to decline.

When I was 24 I had just moved to Alberta after not doing any "tough" jobs in BC. Now that I've worked some real jobs (at times, physically demanding), I'm naturally stronger and outweigh the 24 y/o version of me. Some of that is beer-related (lol) but my arms are bigger and like another poster said, I'm probably much smarter than the 24 y/o me. On the other hand, the 24 y/o version of me could probably outrun me, so unless I ambushed him, he might get away. lol

I really don't see him breaking out for at least two or more seasons. He has to learn to navigate the NHL defensive pressure (like Ronning took several years) so if were satisfied with another 10 goals then so be it because were waiting for the other young guys anyway.

He could really use some seasoning in Utica if possible.

(btw got a Ronning rookie card today)

I really don't see him breaking out for at least two or more seasons. He has to learn to navigate the NHL defensive pressure (like Ronning took several years) so if were satisfied with another 10 goals then so be it because were waiting for the other young guys anyway.

He could really use some seasoning in Utica if possible.

(btw got a Ronning rookie card today)

He was put on the trade market because he was waiver eligible last year.

You can say all you want about Vey, but the reality is that we gave up a 2nd round pick. That means we have invested in him quite a bit, so we have to give this guy a chance to develop his potential. This also explains why he was given a spot on the PP and 2nd line off the bat, to hopefully see his game develop. Like it or not, we have him for at least the next two years, where we should get an idea of what type of player he will be. He is still fairly young and seems like a guy who would work hard to improve.

at 76, i haven't just lost a step from when i was 24, i've lost a whole block...that is why young players need a couple of year in the minors to build up their strength and speed...vey just got into the spot where he had to play up or they would have lost him..they do think highly of him and believe that he will improve greatly..it might take 2 years for him to max out his abilities.

You can say all you want about Vey, but the reality is that we gave up a 2nd round pick.

I hear you, but I think it would be an eye opener for a lot of people here to understand something.

The Canucks, as a franchise, have a very mediocre history of picking 2nd rounders. Vey, believe it or not, at this stage of his young career, has already played more NHL games than half of every single one of the 2nd rounders we've ever picked (look it up on DB, it's shocking how many seconds never even get a glimpse of the NHL).

Bottom line, JB acquired a legitimate NHL capable player with significant upside, for a pick that has a 50% chance of never panning out.

I don't lament the pick given up, but I do lament writing this post because no matter what some people here won't understand, not necessarily you SP.

Looking forward to seeing him this year. Not as bad as people made him out to be.

I think he can at least reach Bonino's level in the future.

However, I do think that Willie gifted him with alot of minutes sometimes.

I think that's why people became annoyed with Vey. He was handed his roster spot and pp time and was given a long leash. Other players aren't quite as lucky and so it sort of created resentment towards Vey because h wasn't earning his spot. Hopefully. Next season he improves but I don't see him at center for much of the season.

Archived