The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey Article

NHL'er

Vey spent the better parts of three seasons in the AHL. This is the league where players are supposed to hone their craft and get prepared for the NHL. Indeed our present coach is of the opinion that rookies should not be played until they have time in the AHL. That he came into the NHL so unprepared and needing so much work over the summer screams....oops.

I, myself believe that if a player is in the minors too long they can stagnate, they get used to that pace and the lack of high end talent. Long time members of the AHL usually end up marginal third or fourth liners.

Vey was a 4th round pick BUT he was a WD favourite at Medicine Hat.

I guess with a one year contract he is nothing but a fill in until Cassels or McCann or some other center is ready.

Vey spent the better parts of three seasons in the AHL. This is the league where players are supposed to hone their craft and get prepared for the NHL. Indeed our present coach is of the opinion that rookies should not be played until they have time in the AHL. That he came into the NHL so unprepared and needing so much work over the summer screams....oops.

I, myself believe that if a player is in the minors too long they can stagnate, they get used to that pace and the lack of high end talent. Long time members of the AHL usually end up marginal third or fourth liners.

I guess with a one year contract he is nothing but a fill in until Cassels or McCann or some other center is ready.

In regards to your third paragraph... I continue to find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that a rookie NHL coach would come into his first year and play someone he didn't deem worthy of at least getting an opportunity. As his production slowed in the regular season, so did his ice time. The fact that he's "Willie's boy" is absolute crap.

Know what I saw out of Vey last year? Consistency. He worked hard but was out muscled. That IS something that can be improved upon and by all accounts he's working hard on it. I also saw consistent improvement over the course of the year in his defensive zone work, which I mentioned in an earlier post.

The rest of your post I can agree with for the most part.

In regards to your third paragraph... I continue to find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that a rookie NHL coach would come into his first year and play someone he didn't deem worthy of at least getting an opportunity. As his production slowed in the regular season, so did his ice time. The fact that he's "Willie's boy" is absolute crap.

Know what I saw out of Vey last year? Consistency. He worked hard but was out muscled. That IS something that can be improved upon and by all accounts he's working hard on it. I also saw consistent improvement over the course of the year in his defensive zone work, which I mentioned in an earlier post.

The rest of your post I can agree with for the most part.

Okay you saw a better defensive game from him, I believe Benning's statement was that they needed goals from him.

Again that he needs to get stronger, are they all weaklings in the AHL? He prospered there for two+ seasons.

WD's boy? Who knew him better than WD? He coached him for a couple of season's, WD also coached a lot in the AHL seeing him, even though Benning is supposed to be a scouting guru, did he see Vey that much? It is not like he played in Boston's backyard.

Okay you saw a better defensive game from him, I believe Benning's statement was that they needed goals from him.

Again that he needs to get stronger, are they all weaklings in the AHL? He prospered there for two+ seasons.

WD's boy? Who knew him better than WD? He coached him for a couple of season's, WD also coached a lot in the AHL seeing him, even though Benning is supposed to be a scouting guru, did he see Vey that much? It is not like he played in Boston's backyard.

.33 PPG in his first full season as a NHLer is nothing to sniff your nose at.

I'm not arguing that WD didn't have a say in bringing him in, if he was in fact part of that discussion.

I wasn't singling you out in particular about that actually, I apologize if it came across that way. Just a little irksome with some around here with the hate on a guy who clearly wants to get better at his craft and is working on his shortcomings. Let's cut the guy some slack is what I'm saying.

If Vey is to have any success, it should be from playing on the wing. I think he can have more freedom and use his offensive abilities better because at center it seems like he overthinks too much, and his skillset is not geared towards winning faceoffs or covering the middle D zone.

I just do not understand why Willie keeps playing him at center, move him to wing, you got him for offence. They did the same thing with Mattiass, only he was better playing center than the wing.

Best case scenario is he has a breakout season and puts up like 40-50 points.

Then we can trade him for some help on D. Cause I don't see him being part of the rebuild.

Do you see Benning and Desjardins being part of the rebuild?

I'll be very surprised if they move Vey - particularly if he puts up 40 or 50 points this year.

Judging by the numbers he put up in the AHL,Vey was more than ready for primetime..IMO...It was frustrating watching him get bullied along the boards last season...and he just sort of faded away...I have a feeling he'll be a rejuvenated player at training camp in September...There has to be a lot of motivation there,because he's definitely on the fringe

You might want to take a look at a map. Manchester, NH to Boston, MA is 50 miles. So yah, Vey was playing in Benning's back yard.

Texas (the only team Willie ever coached in the AHL) played in the western conference and Manchester (the only AHL team Linden Vey has ever played for) played in the eastern conference. You know how many games eastern conference teams play western conference team? Notta. Zero.

The only piece of fact you got right in your statement was that Vey played for Willie for a couple of seasons. In junior.

Want to take a mulligan?

Best case scenario is he has a breakout season and puts up like 40-50 points.

Then we can trade him for some help on D. Cause I don't see him being part of the rebuild.

Agree about Vey. Even if they can get the most out of him, where does he fit in the future depth chart? Does he profile as top 6 or bottom 6. 2C or 3C surely, so that puts him behind Horvat or Cassels.

If either of them flame out, then fine, otherwise, the Canucks are improving and asset and getting the best return for their investment. It's only business.

Why would you question whether Benning and Dejardins are part of the rebuild? Why so flip?

Your post count implies that you've been around the block but your words do not.

Again, you missed the point.

I'm not questioning whether they're around for the rebuild. It's a rhetorical question.

They're here for the rebuild. And so is Vey.

Do you really see them turning around and dealing Vey? Not likely - and even less so if he puts up 40 or 50 points this year.

The assets being moved in this 'rebuild' are not those acquired in the last year, during the Benning era. If they were, Miller probably should have headed that list.

If you guys think Vey will be flipped, I think you're going to be disappointed. You never know. but odds are there are a lot of guys that will be gone long before Vey, one of the first guys they re-signed btw.

Well, I guess I don't know you well enough to get your sense of humour. It just struck me as an odd thing to say and I took exception. No worries.

Linden Vey has always been a difficult one for me. On the one hand, I can see his potential and I believe he is a character guy. That is why they picked him up in the first place. On the other hand, where would he fit in if he achieved his potential? I think he max's out as a 2C ideally behind a big #1 but at his size, I don't see him in the bottom 6 in a checking role. Like you say, if he can put up 40+ points every year, he's a nice problem to have.

Dealing Vey in the future I think is a possibility like anybody else. Really, I think that any GM can't afford to get stuck on a particular player because of their ego or whatever. Although I'm sure it happens. Things change constantly and GM's have to adapt. Every year, they review all of the parts of the team and see where they're going in the following year. So do I think that Vey will be developed and traded? The answer is, it depends.

I think that's why people became annoyed with Vey. He was handed his roster spot and pp time and was given a long leash. Other players aren't quite as lucky and so it sort of created resentment towards Vey because h wasn't earning his spot. Hopefully. Next season he improves but I don't see him at center for much of the season.

He was "handed" his ice time based on his performance in preseason. Which is to say he earned it. The start of the season he did well. When he struggled, being waiver eligible, he couldn't be sent to Utica. So he was sat out here and there and at times put on the fourth line. He was also moved back and forth between center and wing. The bottom line is this: young players need experience to improve. Parking him in the press box won't get him anywhere. People need to accept some prospects take longer than others.

I don't think he was nearly as bad as most made out.

You might want to take a look at a map. Manchester, NH to Boston, MA is 50 miles. So yah, Vey was playing in Benning's back yard.

Texas (the only team Willie ever coached in the AHL) played in the western conference and Manchester (the only AHL team Linden Vey has ever played for) played in the eastern conference. You know how many games eastern conference teams play western conference team? Notta. Zero.

The only piece of fact you got right in your statement was that Vey played for Willie for a couple of seasons. In junior.

Want to take a mulligan?

Marc Crawford said on the 1040 morning show last winter that, when he was coaching the Stars and Willie was coaching the farm team, WD constantly tried to get the Stars to acquire Linden Vey.

That said, the clowns who constantly rag on Vey would have chased the Sedins out of town if they had the chance.

Marc Crawford said on the 1040 morning show last winter that, when he was coaching the Stars and Willie was coaching the farm team, WD constantly tried to get the Stars to acquire Linden Vey.

That sounds about right............

I just don't see Vey becoming a better player than Virtanen and Boeser, which would basically make him a 3rd line RW and/or him being better than Horvat and McCann/Cassels which again leave him to being a 3rd liner.

I was really excited when the Canucks traded for Vey.

I think he has a lot of talent and if all works out well he could be a 2c at some point in his career. He has a lot of work to do but the talent is there, you can't deny that. Saw glimpses off it this year but can't say he impressed me. If Kassian got as many chances as he did, Vey should atleast get one more!

Archived