The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Matthias signs in Toronto

Another one of the Canucks' wasted assets that someone picks up for free.

Should have traded him at the deadline for a pick for our...you know...rebuild.

Yep def should. I thought Mathias was pretty bad during the playoffs. Especially for being so big he really didn't for check very hard. Watch he leafs move him at the deadline for a pick. All these 1 year deals they are signing are perfect to move next season for picks.and prospect

I'm shocked at the dollar value... I figured we let him walk because he was asking for 3.5 or something.

Anyways, all the best to him. Really liked him but it is what it is.

Good luck Shawn!

He was probably asking for that or more then reality set in that no one wanted him for that price; so now he's settling

It's ignorant posts like these that I have a tough time sometimes letting go.

There is a clear and concise distinction between Sbisa/Dorsett and Matthias. I'll give you a hit, it's not points production. Dorsett and Sbisa brought it every single night, game in game out. They might have had some bad games here and there, but the effort and consistency of work ethic were there.

Matthias disappeared for games at a time, then woke up when he felt like playing, then disappeared again.

It's that kind of inconsistent work ethic that JB is trying to weed out of the team because it's infectious for the youth that is being brought into the fold.

What you don't understand, is this is again addition by subtraction. Last year we couldn't afford to trade Matthias despite his pending UFA status because we had no one ready to take his place, and we were closing in on the playoffs.

By letting Matthias walk, and retaining the likes of Sbisa and Dorsett, not only is a roster spot freed up, but whichever young player fills the void is going to have quality players surrounding him, and that's the example we need to set for the youth joining the big club.

while I agree with you that losing Mathias isn't a big deal and will open up.a.spot for a.younger player,I don't know how you can justify both of those deals that Dorsett and Sbisa signed . Dorset got too muh money and too much term, needed to be one or the other. Sbisa should not have been resigned Until after the season. Also he got way to much money. I'm. Not bashing the players but saying that they didn't get overwhelming contracts for their ability is a lie. Benning is really making a pattern of signing people for longer than he should and for more money then he should. It's I fine line to walk between handing out NTC and way to much money/term

Matthias would have likely asked for more from us if we re-signed him before free agency.

There's a reason why he took this long to sign. Teams weren't as interested in him as he may have thought it appears. Definitely not at a cost of 3.5-4 million.

Leaf fans are happy with the signing of Matthais.

A player than can play a power forward game.

It's official, Canucks have lost both their power forwards Kassian (24 years old) and Matthais (27 years old).

Canucks still have their old core players...this alone should be concerning to all Canuck fans.

also weren't an insane number of Matthias goals scored on weak east opponents?

12 of 18 goals were against eastern teams, I believe.

On a side note,

People complain when roster spots aren't available for young guys. So a roster spot is freed up, but then they complain that we let them walk for free...shoulda got a draft pick. Can only have so many contracts in the organization (50?)...then people complain AGAIN when Patrick McNally walks for next to nothing. We can't have it all people!

12 of 18 goals were against eastern teams, I believe.

On a side note,

People complain when roster spots aren't available for young guys. So a roster spot is freed up, but then they complain that we let them walk for free...shoulda got a draft pick. Can only have so many contracts in the organization (50?)...then people complain AGAIN when Patrick McNally walks for next to nothing. We can't have it all people!

well there you go. We dont play in the east.

Leaf fans are happy with the signing of Matthais.

A player than can play a power forward game.

It's official, Canucks have lost both their power forwards Kassian (24 years old) and Matthais (27 years old).

Canucks still have their old core players...this alone should be concerning to all Canuck fans.

We had power forwards?

Given our cap situation is anyone surprised we didn't sign Mathias. The writing was on the wall last year.

I am legitimately concerned with the secondary offensive potential we have lost with Mathias and Kassian's departures. I'm not sold on any of the kids providing that "firepower"., Baertschi, maybe?

Virtanen, Gaunce, Grenier.

These are the only power forwards I care about.

I agree, but are they ready...we'll see?

Burrows and Higgins are still on the roster, where Kassian and Matthais are not...this isn't great.

sbisa gets 3 years and 700k/y raise - sign before playoffs, what a stud.

dorsett gets4 years and 650k/y raise on top of a 600k raise the year before - UNDERSIZED 4TH LINER LOCKEM UP.

matthias gets 1 year and 550k raise after more goals than both combined - NAAAAAAAAAH, peace.

Clearly you dont follow the Canucks to often, Matthias was good the first half of the season but was hardly visible the latter half. An for a big guy, he used his body far less then even Kassian. Matthias does not fit into our plans with the youth route we are taking. While the other two deals were overpaid a bit. Dorsett was one of our most valuable players last season. And was the only one of our players who brought that feistiness and meanness every night(not to mention the only one who would drop the gloves to stick up for a teammate). Benning made sure he didn't lose him, but hey if he didn't sign him and he signed somewhere else for the same deal. Most of yall would be going ape tits.

Mathias is the best powerforward in the league one out of fifteen rushes. When he takes puck to net he was beyond dominant. However he has the mentality of a 180lb perimiter player. Burrows spends far more time infront and driving the net and is dwarfed by mathias. Im glad we didn't resign i just wish we traded for 2nd or 3rd at deadline seeing as he was 2nd highest scorer.

Archived