The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Matthias signs in Toronto

Considering what Higgins, Dorsett and Prust makes he is right in the ball park. Sure he's no enforcer ir kill penalties, bit he's bigger and has far better offensive skills than those guys. 2.3M in todays inceeased cap is proportionally similat to about 1-1.5M when Higgins was signed. Pretty good for a streaky but effective occasional game breaker who scored 18 goals in a bottom 6 role, there aren't many players in the NHL qho can rack up that many goals with almost no powerplay or top 6 minute time.

Poor asset management no matter how you look at it. Should of been traded at the deadline. Don't give me a speech about the playoffs, if management is worth thier weight they should know when to cut ties and do whats best for the team.

only to you...canucks do have prospects coming up! its time to see if they can play..

I hate to see my team finish second to last...therefore, you're right, I'm concerned and it will be a long year to watch hockey because I don't cheer for anyone else but the Canucks. I guess that's my problem too.

Hoping that 2016 will be the quick turn around season to get back to contention.

I'll bet you a nickel the Canucks won't make the playoffs... at this rate.

...neither of which are even remotely "power forwards"...

Tell me exactly...who will replace them and what they bring.,,if you say the young guns; The young guns are still behind Higgins, Burrows, Dorsett, Bonino, Hansen, Prust, Vey???

Soon enough you will be asking yourself, where is our second line and now where is our third line

This team is starting to look like the teams of the 70s and 80s, where scoring a goal will be like trying to suck water from a rock.

Can anyone tell that I'm a little bit upset!?

This team is starting to look like the teams of the 70s and 80s, where scoring a goal will be like trying to suck water from a rock.

Can anyone tell that I'm a little bit upset!?

I'm a little upset that you deemed it necessary to make 4 separate posts just now but that's not important.

Quite frankly I don't care if you're upset. Anybody who thinks what we've lost in Kassian and Matthias is irreplaceable is pretty clueless if you ask me.

Another one of the Canucks' wasted assets that someone picks up for free.

Should have traded him at the deadline for a pick for our...you know...rebuild.

And who would give you anything for a player who is a ufa in a few days and clearly not re-signing?

The Canucks have taken a step backwards by letting their third line walk.

I hope this is some how related to the master plan, which leads us to the Holy grail.

I like Richardson, Kassian and Matthias, but they haven't really let their 'third line" walk.

First, Higgins, Horvat Hansen is in all likelihood the 3rd line this year - better than the three players they let walk.

Second, Kassian has back issues, Matthias wasn't himself last year after his concussion and never really played the kind of game needed to be effective in the bottom six, and Richie is great, but like those other two, was out for extended periods of time last year, in which the team did fine filling the gap. None of them were really integral to the team's success last year, at least not consistently so, and arguably the bottom six will be better this year dependent upon two things imo, whether Vey improves as most young players his age do, or whether the alternative 4C is able to handle the role reasonably well.

The top 6 has only one difference, with Baertschi likely to move in. The one thing I think it lacks is, aside from Burrows, a heavy forechecking and net front presence. Virtanen could potentially bring that eventually, with the effect of pushing the depth a position deeper down the lineup.

The bottom 6:

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

(Kenins, Grenier, et al)

The blueline has replaced Bieksa on the right with Bartkowski in the 4L spot - imo both Corrado and Clendening have the ability to improve upon the right side of last season.

There seems to be a perception that the team has taken a significant step backwards and yet at what position will that in fact be the case, and additionally, very few people are accounting for the potential improvement of a number of young players - from Horvat and Baertschi, to their young blueliners, and the other players in the system whom none of us really know where they'll be in September, October....

I see no reason this team can't be every bit as good as they were last year - with the one question mark I have in that sense being who will fill that 4C role - and in reality - that is a question that existed for half the season last year in Richardson's absence.

I think the team will be fine and I also think that the impression that the rest of the west has improved so drastically is fairly over-stated - we hear that year after year - I'll be waiting to see what in fact evolves.

One move I could see making sense is dealing someone rarely mentioned - Vrbata - perhaps to a contender in the east - for a heavy, young talented forward that might make a better fit on the particular makeup of the 2nd line.

What I'd propose is something to a team like the Isles who could use a pure goal scoring veteran, a right handed shot that with the exception of Okposo, they lack in their top 9, with the rest all being left handed shots. Vrby to the Isles for Anders Lee and a pick.

The Canucks have taken a step backwards by letting their third line walk.

I hope this is some how related to the master plan, which leads us to the Holy grail.

In order to get something you have to give up something. The Canucks have gotten rid of Kassian, Matthias, and Richardson in order to open up roster spots for the young players. If you want success in the future it all starts with youth and giving the youth ample opportunity to succeed by opening up roster spots. It looks bleak at the moment because there is a lot of uncertainty heading into this season but if any sort of glory is going to be had in Vancouver in the coming future it's gonna start with slowly getting these kids into the lineup and getting them experience so they can find their game at the NHL level.

Matthias has some awesome underlying numbers.

He and Winnik will bring us a decent haul near the deadline.

This contract is an absolute steal, imo.

Have you watched him play? He is an enigma just short of Kassians level.

This is equal to Booth sogning in TO.

Matthias could have easily fetched a 2nd at the deadline

Chris Stewart got a second from the WIld. Stewart typically brings more offense than Mathias plus some other attributes that Mathias does not have. Maybe a third for Mathias? Did any team want him... hard to say.

I agree, but are they ready...we'll see?

Burrows and Higgins are still on the roster, where Kassian and Matthais are not...this isn't great.

Burrows and Higgins are vastly more valuable than two big guys who refuse to use their size. People complain about Higgins consistency but want Kassian? :picard: Matthais can strive in the East, more power to him.

Meh

His relative corsi was -4.5, 20th on the Canucks.

His relative quality of competition was 0.314, 14th on the Canucks.

His ozone starts were 49.8% - virtually dead center.

Those aren't "awesome underlying numbers" - they're average at best or slightly below.

But he threw exactly as many hits as the bruising Yannick Weber, in 13 more games than Yannick. Definite power forward numbers.

I'm sure his possession numbers will leap off the page in Toronto however, making him so much more attractive than he was in this UFA market, where he managed a cap hit in the range of Brad Richardson, without the 3 year term.

Wishful thinking Caboose.

Great post. I have absolutely no problem with the Canucks moving on. Moving Kass, and letting Mattias/Richardson go means young guys are in the lineup. Before anyone chimes in with "Prust is 31 and Kass is 24" know that one player on average being older does nothing to dispel the teams goal of getting younger.

Archived