The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 dead, 53 injured over the weekend in Chicago shootings, and mob violence in Cincinnati

Mr. Ambien

Might be in Chicago in 2 weeks for a family wedding, this stuff has always been in the back of my mind

With the exception of one of the shootings, these all took place in neighborhoods you would most likely have no business whatsoever going to. Unless the wedding is in Englewood, Murray Park, or a southside ghetto at 1 am, you really don't have too much to worry about.

Been to the city hundreds of times and never had a problem or even seen a crime. But then again, I've never gone roaming around in the middle of the night in any of these areas mentioned either.

Because stricter gun control in Chicago definitely prevented the violent offenses committed with illegally obtained firearms.

Two points:

What's the data to suggest this?

and also, what's the data to suggest that firearms were "illegally obtained"?

Two points:

A simple deduction really. The story mentioned gang violence and while I'm no expert in gang violence, I really doubt each gang member went to the local gun store, apply for a Firearm licence (FOID), then do the 16-hour training course for those wishing to conceal-carry a handgun along with a background check by the police.... and then wait 72-hours to gain possession of the firearm..... and then go and commit their gangland related crime. Just a guess....

Obviously more gun control in Chicago is the answer...

Indeed. The best way to combat criminals with guns is to make it harder for the vast majority of law abiding citizens to attain guns. Criminals will see the difficulty these law abiding people have in protecting themselves, then they will empathize and put down their arms and stop committing gun crimes. To believe otherwise means you're a crazy NRA gun nut and probably slept with Heston (or one of Ted Nugent's animals).

ah...

the classic "I don't want to perpetuate racist stereotypes BUT..." posts everywhere with no attention to any other demographic categorization

what is it with white people and getting divorced by the way..? that's all they seem to do after having a few kids out of wedlock

"what is it with white people and getting divorced by the way..? that's all they seem to do after having a few kids out of wedlock "

While trying to make a point, you appear to have had a failure; married folk do not have kids out of wedlock, but single people do.

"what is it with white people and getting divorced by the way..? that's all they seem to do after having a few kids out of wedlock "

While trying to make a point, you appear to have had a failure; married folk do not have kids out of wedlock, but single people do.

White trash singles who then end up with a string of three divorces isn't unheard of

Everyone is someone's step sibling at a certain point

Two points:

I think it is basic supply and demand. The harder it is to get guns the higher the black market prices are. The higher the black market prices the less people can get them. As opposed to many USA cities were you can get an illegal gun for as little as $100.

Archived