The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2018 Eligible] David Levin

Baer.

You're probably wondering why I made a thread for a 15 year old, but soon you'll find out.

DAVID LEVIN

levin-david-150410-620.jpg

BIRTHYEAR 1999-09-16

BIRTHPLACE Tel Aviv, ISR

AGE 15

NATION Israel/Russia

POSITION LW/RW

SHOOTS L

HEIGHT 180 cm / 5'11"

WEIGHT 77 kg / 170 lbs

Top Prospect eligible for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft

"Levin was picked by the OHL's Sudbury Wolves after a very formidable season with the Greater Toronto Hockey League's Don Mills Flyers, where he had 80 points in 55 games, including 39 goals.

Standing 5"11, and at 170 pounds, Levin moved to Canada at the age of 12 to pursue hockey and stay with relatives, leaving his family behind in Israel.

Before leaving Israel, Levin did not have much opportunity to skate and play ice hockey (it's not really the most popular sport in the Middle East) but was able to excel at inline hockey.

It was a really big part of my life. More than school, Levin said. I always had a stick in my hands. If practice was cancelled or something, Id still stickhandle, practise my moves.

Obviously, his tenacity persevered. After he arrived in Ontario, Levin practiced every day in order to achieve his goal: making it to the big leagues, the NHL.

Every day Im waking up in the morning and thinking about hockey, working hard to get to the NHL, so I can move my family here, he said, referring to his father, a current hockey instructor and former soccer athlete, mother, and brother. In 2018, he can make his dream a reality when he becomes eligible for the NHL Draft. And if he continues playing the way he has, his chances of making it are actually very much within reach.

In fact, according to Don Mills Flyers coach Lindsay Hofford, Levin's one of the most talented young athletes he's seen, the kind of player that can score "those kind of YouTube-sensation goals."

David is one of the most purely gifted offensive talents in this years draft, added OHL Central Scouting director Darrell Woodley stated. He has the ability to make an opposing player look very silly and he does it with such ease. Things come very easy for him which is impressive considering he has only been playing hockey for three seasons. He is very hard to knock-off the puck as he has a strong core and low centre of gravity. David is a very compact skater and has very good agility and quickness, changes gears in mid-stride, and is not afraid to challenge anyone at anytime. He has a very good shot with a quick release, is a smart player, and never seems to put himself in a bad position. Overall David has the potential to be a great player at the OHL level and the skys the limit for him as he continues to learn and develop.

No player born in Israel has ever played in the NHL, with only 2 Israelis ever playing in the AHL; Oren Eizenman (Admirals, Sharks, Moose, Rampage, Crunch, Whale) and Max Birbraer (River Rats, Rampage). Daniel Spivak currently plays for the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL.

This is a cool story for sure.

As time goes on hockey is only going to grow more and more global. If NHLers go to South Korea in 2018 that could potentially add a new market for hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived