The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) really speed up the rebuild with 3 trades

I am not going to attempt to make a proposal here lol. Mainly because ppl tend to rip on me for over-valuing our players ;).

So there are 3 players that i think could really excel our rebuild. Now trading these players now could be devistating for the team for the next 1-2 seasons. However after that we should be golden.

What do you believe we could get for these players? Be wise on when during the season we trade them for max value.

Hamhuis

TD is the best time to trade him for max value imo

Vrbata

Same situation as Hamhuis

Edler

I believe anytime would be good to trade him. Detroit is VERY high on him. But with trading Bieksa and Hamhuis we should trade him at the 2016 draft so we dont completely destroy our D.

Obviously after these trade our D is very weak. But we are not going to contend, so let the young guys lime Clendenning and Corrado a chance to develope their NHL game. Our lineup would look like:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Higgins Bonino Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Corrado Sbisa

Bartkowski Weber

Clendenning

So its not a complete overhaul. We still have vet leadership in:

Sedins

Burrows

Higgins

Hansen

Tanev

Prust

Dorsett

Bonino

So its not like an Oiler/Saber rebuild lol.

When do you think we should trade them? And what do u think we will get for them?

I am not going to attempt to make a proposal here lol. Mainly because ppl tend to rip on me for over-valuing our players ;).

So there are 3 players that i think could really excel our rebuild. Now trading these players now could be devistating for the team for the next 1-2 seasons. However after that we should be golden.

What do you believe we could get for these players? Be wise on when during the season we trade them for max value.

Hamhuis

TD is the best time to trade him for max value imo

Vrbata

Same situation as Hamhuis

Edler

I believe anytime would be good to trade him. Detroit is VERY high on him. But with trading Bieksa and Hamhuis we should trade him at the 2016 draft so we dont completely destroy our D.

Obviously after these trade our D is very weak. But we are not going to contend, so let the young guys lime Clendenning and Corrado a chance to develope their NHL game. Our lineup would look like:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Higgins Bonino Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Corrado Sbisa

Clendenning Weber

So its not a complete overhaul. We still have vet leadership in:

Sedins

Burrows

Higgins

Hansen

Tanev

Prust

Dorsett

Bonino

So its not like an Oiler/Saber rebuild lol.

When do you think we should trade them? And what do u think we will get for them?

The Oilers' problem has been a complete absence of solid defencemen. Trading both Hamhuis and Edler would give the Canucks the same problem. I'm not against trading Hammer at the deadline, but I think there needs to be at least some experience going into the next season. Edler is a solid #2.

Unless we get another big-minute left-side D-man, I don't think we should trade Eddie at all.

We'll need him and Tanev to keep the back-end from completely becoming a mess. Without him, we'd have one elite defensive option in Chris, then a bunch of fringe top-4 guys (being somewhat generous here), which would lead to a lack of puck-moving ability and getting buried in our own end.

As for trade returns, hopefully Hammer goes to Buffalo for their 1st and Jake McCabe (mobile left-handed D-man who's physical), while hopefully Montreal's still cold offensively and we deal Vrbata to them for Scherbak and 1st. At least that's what I'd do to ensure that the drop-off in talent in each position would be replaced in short order.

Unless we get another big-minute left-side D-man, I don't think we should trade Eddie at all.

We'll need him and Tanev to keep the back-end from completely becoming a mess. Without him, we'd have one elite defensive option in Chris, then a bunch of fringe top-4 guys (being somewhat generous here), which would lead to a lack of puck-moving ability and getting buried in our own end.

As for trade returns, hopefully Hammer goes to Buffalo for their 1st and Jake McCabe (mobile left-handed D-man who's physical), while hopefully Montreal's still cold offensively and we deal Vrbata to them for Scherbak and 1st. At least that's what I'd do to ensure that the drop-off in talent in each position would be replaced in short order.

Buffalo isn't trading a likely top 10 pick and a prospect for a 32 year old pending UFA defence an and Montreal isn't trading a 1st and their top offensive prospect for a couple months of Vrbata. MAYBE their 1st. No chance at Scherbak though. Let alone both

I swear having expectations like this is the cause of people losing their minds every time Vancouver makes a trade

Buffalo isn't trading a likely top 10 pick and a prospect for a 32 year old pending UFA defence an and Montreal isn't trading a 1st and their top offensive prospect for a couple months of Vrbata. MAYBE their 1st. No chance at Scherbak though. Let alone both

I swear having expectations like this is the cause of people losing their minds every time Vancouver makes a trade

First of all, I HIGHLY doubt Buffalo would still have a top-10 pick, esp. if the young guns are ready to contribute.

If Eichel and Reinhart are ready, and Lehner at least solidifies their goal-tending, watch out. Remember also, Buffalo lost Nikita Zadorov for O'Reilly and they may be shallow on the left side. Montreal was also lacking in terms of scoring last season, so much so that it cost them in the playoffs.

It also depends IMO on whether they believe the guy they're getting is the last piece to their puzzle. If Trader Jim can get Hammer signed to an extension before moving him the return could be there if Buffalo's ready to contend (look at what Yzerman gave up to get two years of Coburn: Gudas, plus 2015 1st and 3rd round picks; maybe Buffalo's less eager but getting a 1st and a good prospect shouldn't be out of the question).

St. Louis alone netted Callahan, '14 1st and '15 2nd. Last but definitely not least, our own Ryan Miller, while a pending UFA in Buffalo but considered the final piece for St. Louis, (along with Steve Ott) netted Halak, Chris Stewart, a prospect in Carrier, a 1st and conditional 3rd.

I get that some people would think that that those are extreme cases, and I would be open to agree (though some of them were also pending veteran UFA's). However, if you look at what the Wild paid to get Moulson (Mitchell, two 2nd's), what the Kings paid to get Gaborik (Frattin, 2nd, 3rd) and the Habs paid to get Vanek (solid prospect in Collberg and 2nd) that's still a decent return. Honestly, if Trader Jim got an "average" return (by the standards set by these trades) he could get two 2nd's and a solid young prospect for each of them and I'd consider that a win.

not sure why everyones trying to trade edler hes only d other than rookies( clendenning and corrado) that id keep hes someone you can build a team around. hamhuis and vrbata hansen and higgins should be traded before or at trade deadline lets get a few more firsts and 2nds i wanna draft a top d pick dman for once

Yes, the drop off would be made up in short order with such trades but there is zero chance of either. Why would Buffalo want a rental when they are years away from contending? Montreal wants to won the cup, why would they want a 35 year old with 8 carreer playoff goals.

First of all, I HIGHLY doubt Buffalo would still have a top-10 pick, esp. if the young guns are ready to contribute.

If Eichel and Reinhart are ready, and Lehner at least solidifies their goal-tending, watch out. Remember also, Buffalo lost Nikita Zadorov for O'Reilly and they may be shallow on the left side. Montreal was also lacking in terms of scoring last season, so much so that it cost them in the playoffs.

It also depends IMO on whether they believe the guy they're getting is the last piece to their puzzle. If Trader Jim can get Hammer signed to an extension before moving him the return could be there if Buffalo's ready to contend (look at what Yzerman gave up to get two years of Coburn: Gudas, plus 2015 1st and 3rd round picks; maybe Buffalo's less eager but getting a 1st and a good prospect shouldn't be out of the question).

St. Louis alone netted Callahan, '14 1st and '15 2nd. Last but definitely not least, our own Ryan Miller, while a pending UFA in Buffalo but considered the final piece for St. Louis, (along with Steve Ott) netted Halak, Chris Stewart, a prospect in Carrier, a 1st and conditional 3rd.

I get that some people would think that that those are extreme cases, and I would be open to agree (though some of them were also pending veteran UFA's). However, if you look at what the Wild paid to get Moulson (Mitchell, two 2nd's), what the Kings paid to get Gaborik (Frattin, 2nd, 3rd) and the Habs paid to get Vanek (solid prospect in Collberg and 2nd) that's still a decent return. Honestly, if Trader Jim got an "average" return (by the standards set by these trades) he could get two 2nd's and a solid young prospect for each of them and I'd consider that a win.

Regardless of if Buffalo's pick is top 10 or not Hamhuis still isn't a piece they need. They're rebuilding, why trade away any assets for a defenceman who is already into his 30's and isn't signed beyond this season.

In Montreal's case, yes, they're offence starved, but Scherbak and a 1st is massive overpayment for a few months of Vrbata. You refered to what the paid for Vanek. Vanek, at the time was coming off a couple point a game seasons and was 29. Montreal hoped to re-sign him and even then they only gave up a 2nd and a decent (but far from their best) prospect. You're suggesting they give up a 1st and their best offensive prospect for a 35 year old forward who they likely would have no interest in re-signing. It's apples and oranges

I would rather trade Edler and get a bigger return than trade Hamhuis who will be a rock on our D for the young guys. Sorry but Edler is better as a #3 or #4 (less pressure on him). He is seen as a #1 or #2 but he isn't geared mentally for it, I honestly believe that he will thrive in a 3 or 4 role, just my opinion.

In a perfect scenario:

Canucks tank for top 3 pick - one of Matthews, chychrun, or puljujarvi.

Sell vets at deadline for picks- hamhuis,vrbata,burrows,etc

Sign stamkos or kopitar, Seabrook and lucic

Comeback stronger the year after.

But just the canucks getting top 5 pick would really make the rebuild faster + getting picks trading some vets at the deadline.

In a perfect scenario:

Canucks tank for top 3 pick - one of Matthews, chychrun, or puljujarvi.

Sell vets at deadline for picks- hamhuis,vrbata,burrows,etc

Sign stamkos or kopitar, Seabrook and lucic

Comeback stronger the year after.

But just the canucks getting top 5 pick would really make the rebuild faster + getting picks trading some vets at the deadline.

I suspect that you would have to find some additional cap space. :)

regards,

G.

We definitely need to sell off our vets at the deadline, regardless of our playoff hopes. Why hold on to them just to exit the playoffs in the first round? We should take the short-term hit of mossing out on the playoffs so we can continue to build our long-term success, then with the cap space provided by their departure we could add high-end free agent vets in the offseason to enhance and mentor our young core.

I've seen a Hamhuis for Theodore proposal. Theodore is stuck behind Anaheim's good young defensive players, and Anaheim could surely deal from that position of strength to bring in an olympic-calibre defenseman and solidify their team's status as a contender for this year. They would likely be able to re-sign him for a few years too! Vancouver gets a local defenseman for the future who could step in as early as 2016.17 considering the success he's had in the very few games he's played in the AHL.

Edler - Tanev

Theodore - Seabrook

Sbisa - Clendening/Corrado

I like the idea of trading all three of those players! What about trading Edler now while value is relatively high and signing Franson to a 5 mill 1 year deal? With the sole purpose of holding onto him for 75% of the season and collecting another 2nd rounder come TDL?

I hate how much people toss around the "this isn't NHL 15" comments on here, but you definitely play GM Mode too much.

Archived