The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Year, Same Outlook

Nigerian

To me its all about prospective. What do you want from this team entertaining regular seasons with little to no playoff success or do you want to win a Stanley cup? We just went through 15 years of entertaining hockey with one good run to show for it. Do we want to do that for another 15?

For me the answer is no. There hasn't been one team other then Detroit that has won a Cup in the salary cap world that didn't have a core that didn't include high draft picks. Now Detroit which everyone uses as an example. There Cup hopes died when Lindstrom retired they will not win another without doing a rebuild and getting high draft picks either, unless they can fluke out again and get another Lindstrom in the later rounds which is unlikely.

So for me every year after 2013 has been a wasted year that we should have been doing everything we could to acquire draft picks and prospects. You have to be bad in the salary cap world to be good. The way I see it if you want to be competitive over the long haul you have to get high end talent at a cheap price go for broke and hope you win a cup if you miss the window, you need to sell all the assets before they lose value get more draft picks and prospects probably have an off year or two and try again. This is pretty much what the Black hawks have done and look how its working for them.

When Benning and Linden went out and signed Miller and Vrbata last year saying there goal was to just make the playoffs it pissed me off to no end. This group cannot win a Cup and signing players to make you just good enough to make the playoffs is just adding time to when we can win a Cup. Imagine if instead of trying to make the playoffs this year we stayed pat with the players we had and sold off Matthias, Higgens, Beiksa and anyone else they could have convinced to waive there NTC for picks and prospects maybe finished the year in the bottom 6 possibly won the lottery. We would be so much further ahead in our rebuild.

This whole theory they tried to sell us on about a winning environment is the biggest load of crap ever. You are either a hard worker with drive or your not no one can teach you that not at the age you are in the NHL. Horvat proved it in the playoffs all the people except for a select few had no drive at all in the playoffs but Horvat worked his ass off that wasn't put there by his underachieving team mates that was there in the first place.

We need to be like a phoenix burn out (suck for a few years) then rise from the ashes. The longer we try to just hang on the longer it will be before we are great again. Thankfully Benning and Linden seem to see this now and instead of having the playoffs to look forward to we can enjoy watching our new prospects grow and prosper.

That's my prospective, all I want is to see the Canucks win a Cup before I die. Regular season no longer means anything to me. I'm pretty sure that people with my outlook are growing by the day as the years without a Cup just keep getting added on. I loved the old core but there day has passed I can't wait for the next one and hopefully they are the one that will win it all.

I think you mean perspective and it's Lidstrom not Lindstrom.

People like to point at Chicago and Pittsburgh. How about the Islanders? Or the Leafs, Coyotes, Blue Jackets, Panthers, and of course the Oilers. When was the last time any of them was a Chicago or Pittsburgh? Has wallowing at the bottom helped them? It's easy to look at Chicago or Pittsburgh and say that's how you do it. but there's far more that have failed at being bad to be good. And many seem ignore just how long Chicago and Pittsburgh were bad.

No form of rebuild comes with guarantees.

Now being an oldtimer I can tell you this: Watching your team suck year after year with no hope of making the playoffs is not a fun experience. It's 82 games of bad hockey you're asking for. Having experienced those years I can tell you I 'd rather roll the dice on the playoffs and have an enjoyable 82 game season. here's another voice of experience: Your team winning the championship actually has no effect on your life.

- Lack was a lovely goalie, and he has such a lively spirit. But the primary reason I think people liked him was for his sense of humour, and just the charm he had when it came to interacting in a social environment, than his on ice product.

I liked his .921 save percentage even more than his cartoon-character persona.

Yup.. They do add some new, younger faces. It's a slow process.. gonna face a similar fate at the end of this season at best.

Like Torts said, the core is stale (old and slow). It's the one thing he was right about but Aquaman presumably didn't want to bite the bullet and have empty seats. Now I think it's clear that we need to suck for a while (at least 1 year) and re-build as re-tooling (ongoing mid-level picks) will never get us a SC.

I think you mean perspective and it's Lidstrom not Lindstrom.

People like to point at Chicago and Pittsburgh. How about the Islanders? Or the Leafs, Coyotes, Blue Jackets, Panthers, and of course the Oilers. When was the last time any of them was a Chicago or Pittsburgh? Has wallowing at the bottom helped them? It's easy to look at Chicago or Pittsburgh and say that's how you do it. but there's far more that have failed at being bad to be good. And many seem ignore just how long Chicago and Pittsburgh were bad.

No form of rebuild comes with guarantees.

Now being an oldtimer I can tell you this: Watching your team suck year after year with no hope of making the playoffs is not a fun experience. It's 82 games of bad hockey you're asking for. Having experienced those years I can tell you I 'd rather roll the dice on the playoffs and have an enjoyable 82 game season. here's another voice of experience: Your team winning the championship actually has no effect on your life.

Maybe I didn't make my point very clear. I'm not saying to be Like Edmonton or the Islanders at all what I was trying to say is we are going to need to suck so we can get the proper assets to succeed. Once we have them we need to sell them off while they have value and aren't to expensive to keep in order to acquire new assets that way we can be like Chicago and be good for the long haul.

I'm sure that Chicago fans weren't happy about losing Byfuglin sp?, Versteeg, etc etc etc Chicago has traded alot of good players away in their prime but they got good assets back for them and always have a pipeline of good prospects coming in at low contracts. Yes they have a few players they have kept with big contracts but those are players like the Sedins that you keep.

Vancouver has a real bad habit of keeping assets when they get too expensive and have little trade value left. That has to change if you want to be successful long term in a cap environment.

I know that a rebuild has no guaranties of success but keeping players till they retire or leave to UFA cause you can't afford them any more has a much lower chance of success. Its just my opinion but I'm pretty sure my reasoning is sound, even if my ability to explain it isn't.

I'm not young either when I say that all I want is the Canucks to win a Cup before I die. I'm talking on a Canucks board and mean it as far as the Canucks are concerned. I'm sure no one here wants to hear about my aspirations for my kids my Wife, job, retirement etc. I love the Canucks and all but if they folded tomorrow I wouldn't be happy but I certainly wouldn't be devastated either.

I think you can be critical of your team and still be a fan, that is the entire point of watching sports in the first place is to voice your opinion on a product that you are watching. Hockey is competitive, we watch it for that reason, and that translates to the fans. I am a diehard hockey nut, and can't stand to watch a game with someone who is just a fair weather fan because they do not understand the concept of high-level competition.

This isnt minor league where you clap for both teams, this is pro and you watch because you expect a certain standard of play from the team you cheer for. If it isnt there (ala our first round exit this year), you can bet more than a few fans will be pissed off.

I may have been critical of a few of the moves (sbisa acquisition and signing, trading Kass), but that does not mean that I wont watch the games. I still love the team and hockey provides me with the necessary entertainment that I need. It is wrong to say that just because you criticize a move, that you are somehow a "disloyal fan"...quite the contrary I think.

Every year I hear the same ol' song, "GMMG DIDN'T GET CROSBY, WE ARE SCREWED". "GMJB DIDN'T IGINLA BUT GETS A NO NAME VRBATA". What I'm getting at is the Canucks fan base, wether it be on CDC or the real life armchair GM's, lacks true faith in the team. We started last season and many of our "fans" had already jumped ship saying theres no chance we stack up in our division. Look what the boys did last year, but since we didnt take home the cup the season was a waste. Now this offseason I see the same thing, doubt in our team before the season even is close to start! Last year vrbata, miller, horvat, kenins, amongst the new stepped up in a key way. What im saying is wait and watch the new young guns step in and show a repeat of what we did last year. Have some faith in our guys or ggo hop on the Mcjesus and coiler crew bandwagon.

Show a repeat of what we did last year? From my perspective that was a nice regular season, a once again very short (somewhat predictable) playoffs, and a low 1st round draft pick. This is the cycle that the Canucks have been on for quite some time now and how has it worked out? Things are finally just starting to change but we still have a mostly old team that has no chance to win a cup.

If simply just making the playoffs is satisfactory to some people then that's great for them. I for one would like to see a contender and hopefully a championship not long after. As of right now this team is a long way from that, so perhaps instead of repeating the same strategy of patching holes to make the playoffs every year, try a different approach and see how that works out. If it doesn't work out, well we weren't winning a cup anyway.

Things change, the team will change, dynasties rise and fall, new stars, old stars, teams packed with stars and teams with no stars. This is the beauty of sports, it's ebb and flow my friends. There will always be trash talk, arguments and complaining from fans, but we share one thing THE LOVE FOR THE GAME. I just want the puck to drop already.

We are all canuck fans and our goals are pretty much the same in the end.

Win a cup

I don't know why we can't have adult conversations about it. Just because we don't agree with each others methods doesn't mean we are not all on the same side.

Archived