The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New MTV show called "White People" to shame white people for being white

Mr. Ambien

So.. who's gonna watch this? :lol:

Not like I watch TV anyways, but is this even a serious thing?

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/07/mtv-white-people/

Watch White People Struggle With Their Whiteness In MTV’s ‘White People’

MTV put together a documentary called White People, which highlights the perceived struggle of white people in America as they explore their racial identity. The show will follow the lives of five young people as they confront their white privilege head-on. This trailer features white people talking about how hard it is to “be careful.” Why? “You say the wrong thing, and suddenly you’re a racist.”

The concept sounds ridiculous, but the documentary comes from Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas. He covered the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings, so he presumably knows how to package difficult subject matter. This is MTV, but there’s no better time for a discussion on race than right now.

Will these young white people learn from their experiences during filming? Vargas will force them “to internalize what they’ve done in America.” We’ll find out when White People premiers on MTV on July 22.

Even better, evidently the show is hosted by an illegal alien.

From the looks of the background in the video, they don't seem to be going to poor areas to tell poor white people to check their privilege.

Wonder what the lesson to learn from this is..

dare I say it, it looks very necessary

nothing worse than people avoiding important topics that make them uncomfortable by hiding under the "~~ i am colourblind and race does not exist" excuse

about time

Kind of refreshing to see a TV show tackle important, uncomfortable issues unlike most of TV.

The execution is very important though. Will it be done in a thought provoking, respectful manner or a guilt-tripping manner? Too hard to tell for now. People are already so defensive about the topic and don't realize that it isn't about making white people feel bad for being white, it's about confronting the societal and institutional biases that minorities face.

Kind of refreshing to see a TV show tackle important, uncomfortable issues unlike most of TV.

The execution is very important though. Will it be done in a thought provoking, respectful manner or a guilt-tripping manner? Too hard to tell for now. People are already so defensive about the topic and don't realize that it isn't about making white people feel bad for being white, it's about confronting the societal and institutional biases that minorities face.

This is MTV, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

On average asians have a higher IQ than whites and make more money. Is that because of privilege? Or is it because they value education and want to succeed in life? "White privilege" is an excuse non whites use for their failures. White majority countries and certain asian countries are by far The Most civilised and Advanced places in The world. "White privilege" really means white achievement. This Show is openly racist towards white people and is trying to make us feel guilty for being succesful. When are they going to make a Show called " asian people"? Or "jewish people"? Because they Both must have lots of "privilege".

On average asians have a higher IQ than whites and make more money. Is that because of privilege? Or is it because they value education and want to succeed in life? "White privilege" is an excuse non whites use for their failures. White majority countries and certain asian countries are by far The Most civilised and Advanced places in The world. "White privilege" really means white achievement. This Show is openly racist towards white people and is trying to make us feel guilty for being succesful. When are they going to make a Show called " asian people"? Or "jewish people"? Because they Both must have lots of "privilege".

Your words are so patriarchal, sexist, racist, and offfensive. The way you use such triggering words could only be interpreted as harrassment. Your priveleged class could never understand and has brought forth this wage gap that has nothing to do with anything but you being a cis white priveleged male.

#equalityforwomenz #77%wagegap #quotas #reducestandards #givemestuffihaventearned #feminism #sarcasm

Honestly, this whole priveleged and offensive movement has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed.

It's a bit of a different scenario in the States where you have people who were segregated based on race then stuffed into impoverished ghettos, denied education, kept out of jobs, etc.... To expect them to instantly work hard and be less poor is ridiculous.

The closest comparable in Canada is the aboriginal people. But I'd agree the term white privilege is misleading. It only takes into account the relationship between whites and blacks in the States. It doesn't deal with other minorities like Asians, who share many of the and privileges as white people.

its on MTV. Which is owned by VIACOM. These guys hit their peak in the early 1990s and have been coasting downhill ever since. Sumner Redstone owns VIACOM and hes in his 90s now. They cant do anything major without his say-so and hes about the last person who should be managing a media empire during a time of technology transition like right now.

Im a middle aged white male. People can put us down all they want and we dont care. We have better things to do.

It's a bit of a different scenario in the States where you have people who were segregated based on race then stuffed into impoverished ghettos, denied education, kept out of jobs, etc.... To expect them to instantly work hard and be less poor is ridiculous.

The closest comparable in Canada is the aboriginal people. But I'd agree the term white privilege is misleading. It only takes into account the relationship between whites and blacks in the States. It doesn't deal with other minorities like Asians, who share many of the and privileges as white people.

Yeah , i agree with this. I just find it annoying. I hope i Didnt cause a $&!#storm. Haha

Archived