The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 Free Agent List

IBatch

I decided to do this as a recent post asked who Benning is targeting next summer and 95% of the replies had to do with Lucic and Seabroook (with apologies to those discussing the merits of Shattenkirk).

Here are the more prominent ones and their ages, UFA unless otherwise listed as RFA:

Eric Staal 30

Stamkos 25

Kopitar 27

Seabrook 30

Byfugien 30

Vrbata 34

Kesler 30

Goligoski 29

Hamhuis 32

Backes 31

Coburn 30

Ladd 29

Eriksson 29

Ladd 29

Vorachek 25

Giordano 31

Hudler 31

Perron 27

Erik Johnson 27

Boedker 25

Krug 24 RFA

B. Sutter 26

Lucic 27

S. Gagner 25

Grabner 27

Gunnarsson 28

Okposo 27

Yandle 28

Tyson Barrie 28

Ott 32

Gudbranson 23 RFA

Kreider 24 RFA

Schwartz 23 RFA

Andrew Shaw 23 RFA

Vantanen 24 RFA

Lack 27 UFA

C. Ward 30 UFA

F. Forsberg 20 RFA

Ughh.. Sorry fellow posters - new computer and I pressed something and it just posted....anyways you get the idea - there is a lot of talent (went through about 50% of the RFA and UFA list...there is a lot more available than just what is on this list). RFA's are unlikely but you never know if an offer sheet is played and what can happen if it isn't matched. I like Okposo, Yandle, Byfuglien, Kopitar, and Ladd. Lucic is a bum and I hope they don't overpay just to bring him back home.

The free agent list is always impressive a year out. But then most of the big names are re-signed throughout the season. When free agency finally rolls around next year there will be a couple big fish for teams to fight over and a bunch of lower level scraps left over

Ughh.. Sorry fellow posters - new computer and I pressed something and it just posted....anyways you get the idea - there is a lot of talent (went through about 50% of the RFA and UFA list...there is a lot more available than just what is on this list). RFA's are unlikely but you never know if an offer sheet is played and what can happen if it isn't matched. I like Okposo, Yandle, Byfuglien, Kopitar, and Ladd. Lucic is a bum and I hope they don't overpay just to bring him back home.

I doubt it would happen but I hope Stamkos goes to free agency, with expiring contracts like hamhuis and vrbata would be amazing to see Stamkos in a Canucks Jersey

Stamkos, Kopitar and maybe half of this list will be resigned

1. Yes it is an impressive list of UFAs at this stage.

2. I would not place any weight on RFAs. The number of RFAs who have moved due to offer sheets in recent years is 0!

3. Yes, more than half these guys will be re-signed, but the list should still be deep,

4. I agree that Benning will take a run next year. He would love to have a great draft AND improve the team immediately with one or two good UFAs.

5. But the bidding will be fierce. I am almost afraid to think of what Stamkos would command on the market. I am guessing $10 million per year, maybe 11 (Toews is 10.5).

6. You cannot build a contender through free agency. I hope Benning does not get carried away.

Stamkos 25

Kopitar 27

Hamhuis 32

Ladd 29

Eriksson 29

Ladd 29

Voracek 25

Boedker 25

Gunnarsson 28

Okposo 27

Are the guys of those list I'd at least touch base with.

You really want Ladd, don't you?

I doubt it would happen but I hope Stamkos goes to free agency, with expiring contracts like hamhuis and vrbata would be amazing to see Stamkos in a Canucks Jersey

Even if he did, why would he sign in Vancouver?

The free agent list is always impressive a year out. But then most of the big names are re-signed throughout the season. When free agency finally rolls around next year there will be a couple big fish for teams to fight over and a bunch of lower level scraps left over

Exactly this. Obviously don't follow every team as closely as I do the Canucks or the Jets. But as far as the Jets go, they have already begun working with Ladd, Trouba, and Scheifele to sign extensions. So we can expect that list of RFAs/UFAs to look just as brutal as it did this last year. Teams rarely let their top guys walk for free. It does happen, but not as often as it used to.

Even if he did, why would he sign in Vancouver?

Maybe Benning has a time machine and can transport Stamkos back to our 2011 SCF run.

I decided to do this as a recent post asked who Benning is targeting next summer and 95% of the replies had to do with Lucic and Seabroook (with apologies to those discussing the merits of Shattenkirk).

Here are the more prominent ones and their ages, UFA unless otherwise listed as RFA:

Seabrook 30

Hamhuis 32

Lucic 27

Okay, let's just make it simple.

Sign the guys above that I didn't delete and plan the parade.... ::D

Archived