The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 Free Agent List

IBatch

Did anyone else notice Seabrook on that list? :bigblush:

A guy that could seriously help us would be Tyson Barrie. And what a disaster that would be for COL if he left. Eric Staal has such potential to be interesting as well? He was sooooooo good 5 and 6 years ago...

I decided to do this as a recent post asked who Benning is targeting next summer and 95% of the replies had to do with Lucic and Seabroook (with apologies to those discussing the merits of Shattenkirk).

Here are the more prominent ones and their ages, UFA unless otherwise listed as RFA:

Eric Staal 30

Stamkos 25

Kopitar 27

Seabrook 30

Byfugien 30

Vrbata 34

Kesler 30

Goligoski 29

Hamhuis 32

Backes 31

Coburn 30

Ladd 29

Eriksson 29

Vorachek 25

Giordano 31

Hudler 31

Perron 27

Erik Johnson 27

Boedker 25

Krug 24 RFA

B. Sutter 26

Lucic 27

S. Gagner 25

Grabner 27

Gunnarsson 28

Okposo 27

Yandle 28

Tyson Barrie 28

Ott 32

Gudbranson 23 RFA

Kreider 24 RFA

Schwartz 23 RFA

Andrew Shaw 23 RFA

Vantanen 24 RFA

Lack 27 UFA

C. Ward 30 UFA

F. Forsberg 20 RFA

Corssed out are the most likely to be re-signed imo...

Based on those assumptions:

Top available dmen:

Byfuglien

Yandle

Giordano

Hamhuis

Goligoski

Coburn

Gunnarsson

Top available forwards:

Staal

Okposo

Lucic

Backes

Eriksson

Vrbata

Hudler

Perron

Ott

Sutter

Gagne

My feeling is that the Canucks will be VERY aggressive with a top D, and if they miss out, theyll likely look at signing Hamhuis, traded away or not.

It seems as though a Lucic signing could be in the cards, as LA wont be able to retain both he and Kopitar. If Lucic falls through, Im not certain which direction theyll take, but I'd think theyd look for top 6 with size.

Depth signings wont be in the cards as the 16/17 season is certain to be chalked full of promoted prospects.

My best guess:

we trade Hamhuis, Vrbata, and 3 of Bonino/Burrows/Higgins/Hansen/Prust (will all be available) at the deadline.

Somehow walk out of the 2016 draft with chychrun.

Roster for 16/17

sedin sedin lucic - He'll make the transition to RW, and could see a career year in production.

baertschi horvat virtanen - only a matter of time.

gaunce bonino grenier - boninos last season in Van. keeps seat warm for cassels/mccann.

kenins cassels dorsett

vey

edler tanev

hamhuis clendenning

chychrun corrado

sbisa

pedan

utica keeps shinkaruk, jensen, stewart, hutton, subban, cedarholm. adds mccann, tryamkin, demko.

We could have over 30 million in cap space (depending on how much the cap goes up) if we are able to trade Higgins and Burrows.

Sedin Sedin 8 mil

Baertschi Bonino 6 mil

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Prust 2 mil Dorsett

7.5 mil 5 mil

Edler Tanev

Sbisa 1.2 mil

800k 900k

Miller

Markstrom

Just an example of how we could spend. Fill in whatever names you want, there's definitely room to beef up our roster after this season. As long as the signings are short term for vets, or long term for 25-26 year olds, I think we're good. It'll give the Sedins one last chance for a run in the playoffs.

Then with a high pick this year, we can continue to build for the future and insert young guys like Virtanen, Boeser, McCann, Shinkaruk and Cassels as they become ready.

why does everyone se Lucic on the market next year?

Do you really think Lombardi traded for him for 1 year?

If LA fails to make the playoffs again this season, or Lucic has a so-so season there they may not be so quick to re-sign him.

They're looking at the same list of potential UFA's and have a chance to be big spenders.

We could have over 30 million in cap space (depending on how much the cap goes up) if we are able to trade Higgins and Burrows.

Sedin Sedin 8 mil

Baertschi Bonino 6 mil

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Prust 2 mil Dorsett

7.5 mil 5 mil

Edler Tanev

Sbisa 1.2 mil

800k 900k

Miller

Markstrom

Just an example of how we could spend. Fill in whatever names you want, there's definitely room to beef up our roster after this season. As long as the signings are short term for vets, or long term for 25-26 year olds, I think we're good. It'll give the Sedins one last chance for a run in the playoffs.

Then with a high pick this year, we can continue to build for the future and insert young guys like Virtanen, Boeser, McCann, Shinkaruk and Cassels as they become ready.

I just don't see free agency as a viable route. I can see using it to plug holes here and there but for meat and potatoes I'm not so sure.

You've shown that it might work financially but my issue is taking up spaces for young players. There are players who need spots to aspire to. Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Shinkaruk and others. The priority has to be to bring the young group along. I don't mean rushing them but certain players are going to need top 6 spots over the next 2-3 years.

Benning has shown that he wants to build through the draft. If players like Hamhuis and Higgins or others are moved, I think that it'll be for picks. That's what he did with Bieksa.

I just don't see free agency as a viable route. I can see using it to plug holes here and there but for meat and potatoes I'm not so sure.

You've shown that it might work financially but my issue is taking up spaces for young players. There are players who need spots to aspire to. Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Shinkaruk and others. The priority has to be to bring the young group along. I don't mean rushing them but certain players are going to need top 6 spots over the next 2-3 years.

Benning has shown that he wants to build through the draft. If players like Hamhuis and Higgins or others are moved, I think that it'll be for picks. That's what he did with Bieksa.

You're not going to have a team full of drafted players, so at some point you have to fill the holes through free agency. Our biggest holes are on D, and I don't think any amount of drafting will allow us to catch up to the lack of D depth based on this teams timeline for rebuilding. Therefore a couple big ticket players on D might be in the cards.

As I said, it's not taking away spots from young players. It's all about having the young players push from below.

When Horvat shows he can replace Bonino on the second line, he'll move up. When McCann and Cassels show they can be third or fourth line centers, they'll be in the lineup. It's all about keeping the roster flexible, which is why we'll likely sign some vets to shorter term deals.

Don't be surprised if we sign some 25-26 year olds to fill in the gap between the Sedins and guys like Horvat and Virtanen though. It's all about the succession plan, and not forcing guys into roles before they're ready.

You're not going to have a team full of drafted players, so at some point you have to fill the holes through free agency. Our biggest holes are on D, and I don't think any amount of drafting will allow us to catch up to the lack of D depth based on this teams timeline for rebuilding. Therefore a couple big ticket players on D might be in the cards.

As I said, it's not taking away spots from young players. It's all about having the young players push from below.

When Horvat shows he can replace Bonino on the second line, he'll move up. When McCann and Cassels show they can be third or fourth line centers, they'll be in the lineup. It's all about keeping the roster flexible, which is why we'll likely sign some vets to shorter term deals.

Don't be surprised if we sign some 25-26 year olds to fill in the gap between the Sedins and guys like Horvat and Virtanen though. It's all about the succession plan, and not forcing guys into roles before they're ready.

Well, I agree with you there because some of the older players are not going to remain effective until the prospects are fully developed and ready to take top 6 forward or top 4 D spots.

I think this is one of the key points that gets people confused. The biggest push must come from young players (drafted or otherwise) but a certain level of play needs to be maintained to keep the young guys playing in meaningful games. When a team is right out of the play offs for example, they play loose because the games don't matter. No gains are made when this happens. So holes will be filled from trade or free agency.

There may always be holes to fill from free agency but the main part of the team will come through the draft. In a cap world, it's just too expensive otherwise.

Sedin Sedin 8 mil

Baertschi Bonino 6 mil

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Prust 2 mil Dorsett

7.5 mil 5 mil

Edler Tanev

Sbisa 1.2 mil

800k 900k

Miller

Markstrom

Exactly how I see it...don't know why people want to tank for the next 3-4 years...I don't mind writing off the up-coming season but if JB plays his cards right, with all the money we'll have to spend we could easily become a contender the following season.

Sedin Sedin 8 mil

Baertschi Bonino 6 mil

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Prust 2 mil Dorsett

7.5 mil 5 mil

Edler Tanev

Sbisa 1.2 mil

800k 900k

Miller

Markstrom

And when your first line player who you're giving $8M to doesn't produce as much as anticipated, Canucks "fans" will call for Benning's job even though they're the one's saying give that first liner $8M...

Great "fans" I tell ya :rolleyes:

And when your first line player who you're giving $8M to doesn't produce as much as anticipated, Canucks "fans" will call for Benning's job even though they're the one's saying give that first liner $8M...

Great "fans" I tell ya :rolleyes:

If we`re spending 8+ million it would be on a player like Voracek, Kopitar, or Stamkos if any of them are available. Somehow I don`t see any of those guys under-performing.

However the 2016 summer might be the summer of the offer sheet for us. There`s some intriguing RFAs, and if we can get a couple extra picks at the deadline, we could afford to pay the price for a big salary player.

Most of those guys would be well into their 30's by the time the prospects take over this team.

Vancouver will have to pay +++ to entice free agents. The best UFAs want to go to a contender.

JB will be looking at a player that can fill the teams needs and is young enough to have an impact on the prospects.

I hope he will go for Keith Yandle(28). PMD,Skilled, competitive, good size, smooth skater and can put up points like crazy. Always played on the Pho/Ari teams, so could be underrated like Vrbata was. If JB could pick him up for around 5.5m it would be fantastic.. Would love to see this guy with the D.

I hope he will go for Keith Yandle(28). PMD,Skilled, competitive, good size, smooth skater and can put up points like crazy. Always played on the Pho/Ari teams, so could be underrated like Vrbata was. If JB could pick him up for around 5.5m it would be fantastic.. Would love to see this guy with the D.

i feel yandle will take closer to 6.5-7m.

Bring home Seabrook and Barrie. Backes would be a great leader and show the kids how to be true warriors! Plus Backes did sign a contract with us once before lol so you never know!

Backes is a frickin chump. He's no warrior. He's repeatedly attacked Daniel Sedin for no apparent reason.

Archived