The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2015 Young Stars Classic

Blueberries

Since the prospects camp is done, time to get hyped for the Young Stars Tournament!

24mgi2h.jpg

Vancouver, BC – The 2015 Young Stars Classic in Penticton, BC, beginning Friday, September 11 will feature a number of notable prospects of the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets. Over the past four Young Star Classics, over 80 players have gone on to play NHL games. Complete rosters will be released at a later date. A limited number of Tournament ticket packages go on sale on July 10 at 10:00 AM.

The Vancouver Canucks roster will include four players selected in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft since 2012: Jake Virtanen (6th overall in 2014), Jared McCann (24th overall in 2014), Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall in 2013), and Brendan Gaunce (26th overall in 2012). Cole Cassels, who helped lead the Oshawa Generals to a Memorial Cup Championship this past season, will attend the event alongside defence prospects, Ben Hutton and Jordan Subban. 2015 Entry Draft selections Guillaume Brisebois (66th overall) and Dmitry Zhukenov (114th overall) will also make their Young Stars tournament debut.

The Calgary Flames roster includes three first round draft picks: Sam Bennett (4th overall in 2014), Emile Poirier (22nd overall in 2013) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th overall in 2013). In addition, forward Austin Carroll, who recently completed his fourth season with the Victoria Royals, and goaltender Jon Gillies, who led the Hockey East Conference in both GAA and save percentage and won the NCAA national championship last season with Providence College, have been named to the roster.

The Edmonton Oilers roster will include 2015 Canadian Hockey League Player of the Year, Connor McDavid (selected 1st overall in the 2015 NHL Draft), Leon Draisaitl (selected 3rd overall in 2014) and Darnell Nurse (selected 7th overall in 2013). Draisaitl and Nurse both made their NHL debuts during the 2014.15 season with the Oilers.

The Winnipeg Jets roster includes two first round picks: Nikolaj Ehlers (9th overall in 2014) and Josh Morrissey (13th overall in 2013). The list also includes 2015 World Junior Championship tournament participants Jan Kostalek (Czech Republic), Nic Petan (Canada) and Eric Comrie (Canada). 2015 second-round selection Jansen Harkins, whose 59 assists on the season for the Prince George Cougars established a new single-season franchise record, has been named to the tournament. Andrew Copp, who made his NHL debut last season, St. John’s IceCaps goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, and recently acquired prospect Brendan Lemieux will also appear at the Young Stars Classic.

A limited number of Tournament ticket packages go on sale Friday, July 10 at 10:00 AM and will include six games for $60.00*. This all-event package offers best value to fans with savings of 30%available until August 15th. VIP ticket packages are available for $90.00* and $260.00* (*plus applicable fees). For information and details on what VIP packages include please visit Canucks.com/YoungStars andSOEC.ca.

Tickets are available online at www.valleyfirsttix.com, by phone at 1-877-763-2849, in person at the Valley First Box Office at the SOEC or Wine Country Visitor Centre.

This year the festivities will include a Canucks Town Hall Breakfast as well as Minor Hockey Day, which will include a Party on the Plaza event with games, food, music and entertainment as well as skills and development camps for B.C. minor hockey players.

Young Stars Classic Schedule*

Penticton, BC – September 11-14, 2015

GAME TEAMS DATE TIME

Game 1 Calgary vs. Winnipeg Sept. 11 4:00pm
Game 2 Vancouver vs. Edmonton Sept. 11 7:30pm
Game 3 Calgary vs. Edmonton Sept. 12 7:30pm
Game 4 Vancouver vs. Winnipeg Sept. 13 2:00pm
Game 5 Edmonton vs. Winnipeg Sept. 14 11:30am
Game 6 Vancouver vs. Calgary Sept. 14 3:30pm

Here's a detailed layout for the tickets and prices for those interested:

Tickets:
On sale Friday, July 10, 2015 at 10:00AM
(6-game tournament packages ONLY)
Tickets can be purchased:
  • Valley First Box Office (at the SOEC)
  • Wine Country Visitor Centre
  • Phone: 1.877.763.2849
  • Online: www.valleyfirsttix.com

Prices:
$60.00* (6-game ticket package)
$90.00* (VIP Package) includes:
6-game tournament ticket package
  • 2015 Canucks Young Stars Classic VIP credential and lanyard
  • 2015 Canucks Young Stars Classic exclusive t-shirt – 5 Year Commemorative
ONLY 200 available
$260.00* (Premium VIP Package) includes:
6-game tournament ticket package
Seating in the VIP event level section during all six games which includes:
  • i. (6) Six Delicious VIP buffet meals during each game
  • ii. Private cash bar
  • IP Event Parking Pass for the entire tournament ($60 value)
  • 2015 Canucks Young Stars Classic VIP credential and lanyard
  • 2015 Canucks Young Stars Classic exclusive t-shirt – 5 Year Commemorative
  • ONLY 50 available
  • * (*additional service fees apply)
Individual tickets will be released in August
  • $15.00 (single tickets)
  • $25.00 (double header)

So Sept.11 will be the first time we witness McJesus vs Canucks(jrs). No worries though the all-mighty McDavid slayer will be present in Cole Cassels:

mcdavid_cassels-640x360-640x356.jpg

Hope Virtanen blows McDavid up. Love the kid but I hate the Oilers more than I love McDavid

Imagine, Jake Virtanen lays McDavid out at the tourney and injures him for a year. I can see the Oilers fans now.

" :shock: ... :sadno: ... :frantic:... :sick: " In that order..

Imagine, Jake Virtanen lays McDavid out at the tourney and injures him for a year. I can see the Oilers fans now.

Their reaction to Gagner taking a stick to the jaw was bad enough. If their wonderchild goes down, those guys will burn our city down. Seriously, they finally see the light at the end of the tunnel after a decade and if we take him out, oh boy...

Hope Virtanen blows McDavid up. Love the kid but I hate the Oilers more than I love McDavid

The Canucks would then ban Jake from ever playing another game against the Oilers again

Also, so question for anyone that went to the prospect camp this year. This may be wrong section but it's related enough.. I couldn't go, so your intel will be much appreciated. Who are your top 5 players that impressed you?

I plan on watching this tourney, and I'm super pumped. Last year it was a great time. 2 guys that I'm extremely interested in are Ben Hutton and Guilliame Brisebois. How did they do?? Of course, I'm pumped about our first rounders Subban and Zhukenov too, but from what I've seen Hutton and Brisebois seem like the real deal, and have solid potential to be impact NHL players. I hope everyone had a strong camp, but any intel would be good. Anyway, top 5 players that impressed? Maybe a player that didn't?

Will be interesting to see Guilliame Brisbois play. I've heard nothing but great things about him during the prospects camp. Hopefully, he pans out and shows us what he's got.

Virtanen, McCann, Brisbois, and Cassels are going to be players I'm watching closely.

He'll be studying by then.

NO BOESER.

Me no like no Boeser

He is committed to College , regardless if he is in school or not .

There are NCAA guidelines & rules .

Which is why we didn't see Demko last year in Penticton .

Also why we won't see Boeser this year .

Along with Kyle Connor for the Jets .

He is committed to College , regardless if he is in school or not .

There are NCAA guidelines & rules .

Which is why we didn't see Demko last year in Penticton .

Also why we won't see Boeser this year .

Along with Kyle Connor for the Jets .

And Rosolvic, who i really wanted to see play :(

Whatever happened to that small Russian kid on the Oilers that stood out at the Young Stars Tourney? I think he was 5'6 140 lbs. but was one of the best players out there...and also, didn't the Oilers try to sneak him into their organization as a free agent signing only to be busted because of some technicality?

Did any of this actually happen or am I just imagining it? Does anyone remember any of this?

Edit...don't mind me. Just looked it up and the kid was Vladimir Tkachev...5'8" 160 according to Oilers roster sheet...5'10" 144 lbs. according to The Hockey News. Wouldn't mind seeing JB take a flyer on this kid. Looks like he got passed over in the draft this year.

Archived