The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"We could've moved Ryan Miller. There were teams calling on Ryan Miller." - Jim Benning

Zuongo

It's quite obvious there was nothing lack could have done to win the trust of management and have them believe in him. The goalie battle was not based on merit. Miller is Benning's golden boy signing and he was always going to ship out lack in favour of miller no matter how well lack played.

I wonder how much Aquilini is steering this direction though.

He is without question, telling management to remain competitive so tickets are sold. This is going to backfire in his face.

Sadly management is going to pay the price for his greed.

Benning didn't have to and really shouldn't have said that. now clearly Benning isn't that great with answering questions and communicating with the media (that's been evident since day one). But I don't think it really affects his job as GM. notice how he didn't answer another question after that. I don't think we'll see him there next year.

Exactly, it's completely useless information. It almost seems like he was trying to justify his decision by implying interest for Miller.

I don't understand why he would poke the hornets nest with a response like that. The guy is almost too translucent.

I think you mean transparent, but I also think Benning doesn't really care. He likely rolls his eyes at much of the knee-jerk fanbase here, but also realizes it comes with the job and just accepts it. All that being said, he goes about doing his job in a systematic and deliberate manner without it affecting him.

The fans aren't his boss; his job is to get results, not win any popularity contest with short-sighted emotionally-charged reactionaries that don't understand what's going on anyway. The Aquaboys have given TL and JB full hold of the reins to turn this thing around and do it right.

It's a pity party mentality alright, and they feed off each other in a synchronistic manner (prime example, the obsession over backup goalies), which simply perpetuates itself. I guess that's why it never stops, no matter how well or poorly the team does.

It starts with Dave Phatman Prattman. For some goofy reason, Phatman starts a story in the morning and the rest of the lemmings at TSN1040 run with it the rest of the day. I'm thinking Phatman secretly wanted the Swedish Touch from Eddie.

Can someone please take that buffoon, bonk him on the head, put him in a sack and throw him off the Port Mann bridge? I say that figuratively...not literally (for the 2-3 Phatman fans out there) because I don't condone violence.

He is without question, telling management to remain competitive so tickets are sold. This is going to backfire in his face.

Sadly management is going to pay the price for his greed.

Nobody needs to tell Benning anything about business. Only in places like Edmonton and Arizona do they operate without regard for the product they're providing the paying customer, offering up poop on a stick and calling it chocolate. Putting out the best product you can, now and in the future, is simply smart business.

Apparently word also that they offered Chris Higgins to everyone and no one was willing to take him because of his contract.

Man his contract isn't even that bad

Some tweets from i supposed people who went to the summit.

Why is Linden telling fans that they offered Higgins around the league and no one wanted him. HE'S STILL ON YOUR TEAM

If I am Higgins how excited are you to be back here next year. Offered around the league and no one wants him

I thought Higgins would have some value, but his stats are a little scary: 12 goals last year with lots of 2nd line/2nd unit pp time.

Ryan Biech@ryanbiech 2h

From "the other guy" who Linden asked to speak to at the #SummerSummit #Canucks http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=105068969&postcount=602

Nobody needs to tell Benning anything about business. Only in places like Edmonton and Arizona do they operate without regard for the product they're providing the paying customer, offering up poop on a stick and calling it chocolate. Putting out the best product you can, now and in the future, is simply smart business.

In these past few days, since this whole JB fiasco started, I have understood that it is useless to make the blind understand what they simply cannot see.

Apparently word also that they offered Chris Higgins to everyone and no one was willing to take him because of his contract.

Man his contract isn't even that bad

No biggie, he'll have some value at the TDL. Just won't be able to free up his roster spot as soon as we might like. Market dictates!

And remember, again -- ANYONE can be traded. It's a matter of whether or not you are satisfied with the value or return in doing so.

Drance is arguably the Canucks best writer. Try reading his material and know what you're talking about.

Agree. Drance does an excellent job. He provides a lot of careful analysis and very little gratuitous opinion. I also regard him as the best writer covering the Canucks.

to bad they didnt eddie is a better goalie youll see him dominate this yr watch him be top 10 in nhl

your crazy

No carolina goalie will ever finish top 10 this coming year lol let alone their backup

I'll say this though, calling is not the same as viable offers. If they weren't teams that Miller might waive for, or they asking for too much/giving too little then I don't blame Benning for not taking them. I'd have been happy to get any cap space and return at all and let Lack and Markstrom run with it though.

I wonder how much Aquilini is steering this direction though.

I was thinking the same thing. Remember Benning saying he as was getting lots of calls on Lack and Markstrom and then, after fact, said that the offer from Carolina was the only firm offer for Lack. He also talked during season about getting calls on Kassian.

As for Miller, I can imagine some of those calls: "Say, Jim, how about a package consisting of Miller and Horvat for a second round pick and a marginal 4th liner." More seriously, he has already said that he talks to other GMs all the time and I suspect that almost all the players get discussed or at least mentioned from time to time. But most of that talk is a long way from being a serious offer.

I think that what was going on when Benning got this question at the Summit was that Benning did not want to undermine Miller and make himself look bad by admitting that he had no serious offers. But he made the situation worse instead of better. He is not exactly a smooth PR guy, which I suppose is a good thing.

Keeping Miller will be essential in Markstrom's development. Benning is thinking 3/4/5 years down the line, which is whats best for this team. Much better than Lack mentoring Markstrom IMO. The same process is happening to the rest of the roster gradually. Too bad the Canucks fanbase lacks patience and wants benning shot..

My thoughts exactly!

You know what is funny? Benning will turn out to be nothing more then a sacrificial lamb.

If you look at the history of this organization it continually repeats Itself

At the start of the each decade we have a team that can challenge for the Stanley cup

80's Gradin/ Smyl

90's Bure/ Linden

00's Bert/ Naz

10's Sedin/ Kes

By the later half of each decade we are garbage.

If history repeats itself we won't be a contender until 2020-21.

Benning will be long gone by that time and the new GM will be reaping the fruits of our infidelity.

If it's true and it was an offer equally fair to the Lack deals, then he made a terrible mistake.

For his sake, I hope it's not true.

EDIT: People have made good points that it could be that the offers weren't good ones at all and thus not options.

:picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard: He is going to be the Backup to Ward next year.

As Benning said, Lack was traded for to be a backup. He was NOT traded for to be a starter. His role is to be a backup, who has enough talent to push Cam Ward to his full level, and maybe, MAYBE Lack will outplay him and earn the starting job. But again, he was traded for to be a backup. I understand he's such a lovable guy, but people are acting like Eddie Lack is Cory Schneider or something. He's a hard worker, with a great and lovable personality, but as of right now, the whole league sees him as a backup. Miller is a bonifide starter, and perrenial all star. He even has the talent to be an all star next season.

Plus, Ryan Miller is the guy you want teaching Jacob Markstrom the ropes of the NHL and how to be succesful. Not Eddie Lack. I love the guy, but people let the fact that he was a good guy cloud their judgement and give him more value than he has

You can't possibly be that dense to actually think Lack is going to be a backup. Ward has been going downhill for the past three years. Carolina traded for Lack as a replacement for Ward not a bloody backup. Sometimes you should think critically about these things instead of regurgitating management's rhetoric.

Archived