The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Darkhorse heading into the '15/'16 season.

Mathew Barzal

Ronalds Kenins.

This kid is just oozing potential. If he gets pushed out of the lineup after the rookie year he had I will be absolutely shocked. He should be a staple on Bo's wing, those two feed off each other tremendously and you can see they've built an amazing relationship over the course of the year too.

The core strength.

The skill.

The IQ

https://youtu.be/h0p-6O4kJWY?t=23s

If he gets the playing time I'd put money on him outproducing the likes of Higgins/Hansen. Please don't sleep on this guy Benning, I don't want to see fourth liners taking precedence over our young guns.

EDIT: Darkhorse does make more sense and more what I was implying, thanks for the suggestion!

I'd say "dark horse" as opposed to unsung hero. He hasn't done a ton yet.

That said, I agree with you. People don't seem to think he'll stay with Horvat, but I could see the two making a good combo in the future. That said, it would be somewhat like Burrows and the twins, where one is dominant (Horvat) and the other plays off the better one extremely well (Kenins).

I'd say "dark horse" as opposed to unsung hero. He hasn't done a ton yet.

That said, I agree with you. People don't seem to think he'll stay with Horvat, but I could see the two making a good combo in the future. That said, it would be somewhat like Burrows and the twins, where one is dominant (Horvat) and the other plays off the better one extremely well (Kenins).

I agree, Bo and Ronny seemed to show some good chemistry. Their skill, physicality and speed really compliments each other.

Yeah, I like his game as well, especially when he and Bo were buzz-bombing Chara in the game here. We've targeted him before as a Hansen replacement, and though he has more skill he needs work defensively. Definitely suffered from some sort of injury(s) though, as he wasn't the same player for the last half of the season. He and Horvat are the intense high-energy type of players that Benning is drafting and developing.

Unsung Hero?

Probably Miller, he gets so much hate, despite 6 SO's & 29 W's in 45 games.

I'll second this. Miller is a great goalie...I feel bad because I know that the first bad goal that goes by him, he will be faced with an "Eddie" chant. All goalies have an off moment and I hope that fans will get behind the players that are here.

PS. Noteworthy is in the second clip, the goal is against Talbot......hope to see many of those this year.

Last year it was Bo Horvat, to me, this year it is without a doubt ADAM CLENDENING.

Adam Clendening is the guy we need to step up into his role, and push this team further. As we all know, we lack a quality PMD. Adam Clendening as been that quality PMD every level he has played. In fact, he's been better.

• Made the USA U18 team as a 17 year old posting 2 points 7 games.
  • Next year he made the U18 team again, posting 10 points in 7 games.
  • Also played on the USA WJC team, posting 5 points in 6 games.
  • US National team, 32 points in 39 games.
  • In college he put up, 26 points in 36 games his first year, and 33 points in 38 games the next.
  • His first year in the AHL, he posted 46 points in 73 games, and the next year he put up 59 points in 74 games making the AHL first team all defence AS A 21 YEAR OLD.

The man without a doubt, has the talent to be a great two way PMD in this league. If you ask me, the only reason why he just played alright with us, was because he got brought in mid season, to fill in on major injuries. He moved to a new city, got immediately thrown into the fray with little to no practice with his teamates, had to learn a new system, and do it all on the NHL level. The man got traded and was in the top 4 of our lineup a ocuple of days later, and then bounced around with different linemates for weeks. (It's not really anyones fault, we just had a crazy amount of injuries and needed bodies.) That is extremely difficult to do, especially for a defensman who doesn't have crazy huge size and speed

This year, I think coming into camp, he will know what is required of him. If he can start the season with the team, I honestly think he will be our best rookie this year. (Does he still count as a rookie? I don't know technical rules. He's played 21 regular season NHL games. Does he qualify?) All he needs is a few weeks before the season starts where he can find his linemate, I suggest Dan Hamhuis, gel with him, learn the system, and gel with the whole team. He without a doubt has the talent. A line with Hamhuis and Clendening seriously has the potential to be extremely dangerous for a second pairing. I'm actually really pumped to see that duo in action, if we get it. He actually played alright when he was with us, his chances just lacked finish, but he was pretty responsible defensively and moved the puck great. The man has got some serious talent, we just didn't get to see it all firsthand. Chicago fans, and Rockford fans will tell you, this guy is big time

I'm calling it now, by the end of the season, Clendening will be our top rookie. Even over a Sven Baertschi, or even a Jake Virtanen for 2 reasons. 1, he definately has the skill, 2 a right handed PMD is THE most glaring hole in our team. This opportunity for him is just too perfect. He's going to be an important player for us next year. Don't believe me, just watch.

^^ Livewire is right. Out of our biggest needs, defence is tops and this season we will be starting with Clendening and Corrado on the back end. I watched last season and saw that Clendener can actually walk the line on a PP, get pucks through and he has a nice crisp breakout pass. Too often though the forwards bobbled it. I loved the acquisition of him from the hawks, he possesses great potential for us on the back end.

Corrado is also someone with speed and decent passing, remember that goal against TB last year? IMO these two will make or break the nucks season, if they live up to their potential we could really see a difference in team speed. I expect them both to struggle with the more physical matchups, but that is the learning curve they gotta go through.

Ronny had a good rookie year, but there were flaws in his game and was inconsistent. That is to be expected of a year player finding his footing in the show. I am exited to see ronny progress, I think we have a Janik Hansen type player on our hands!

Ronny had a good rookie year, but there were flaws in his game and was inconsistent. That is to be expected of a year player finding his footing in the show. I am exited to see ronny progress, I think we have a Janik Hansen type player on our hands!

Last year, Swiss league-AHL-NHL. That is a lot for any player to absorb. I actually see more in Kennins

game that I do in Sven B's.

Love RKs energy and sparkplug style of play, but he's reckless out there (in a good way ) and as a result I predict he'll be injured regularly.

My dark horse is coach Willy. A year of experience and a better understanding of what assets he has at his disposal and what these assets are and aren't capable of in various situations. He should be able to extract even more from this team.

@Matthew Barzal

i think we would all rather see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Kenins - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - Friesen - Dorsett

Vey

than this:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Prust - Vey - Dorsett