The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"As a primary logo, the orca isn't going anywhere"

tas

this tidbit, to me, was the most interesting thing to come out of the summer summit last night. listening to vic de bonis explain the logic behind that decision made perfect sense ... except that it didn't.

he talked about how for the younger generation of fans, anybody up to age 25 or 26, that's all they've ever known. they've had the logo for 20 years and have created an identity with it. he felt that the addition of the vancouver word mark really hammered home the team's image and what they represent.

i see his point. i respect the thought process. but i beg to differ.

now, i know that it was the organization's goal, when they came out with this newest iteration of the sweater, to end the jersey carousel and to create an image that would be long lasting and would grow a sense of tradition akin to that that goes hand in hand with some other teams in the league (original six, flyers, blues, flames, oilers, penguins etc. spring immediately to mind). i understand that desire completely.

but it's too late. you can't go through 5 or 6 completely different looks in the first 40 years and then expect to create a unified, traditional image afterward. it just doesn't work that way. nobody is going to forget the first 40 years happened, and why would you want them to?

instead of trying to force a unified brand identity that not only won't actually work, but also that is preferred by at most 50% of their fan base over previous designs, i think this team would be better served by embracing their REAL identity, which is changing their look every 10 years or so.

they way it's worked so far has broken up the logos and jerseys by convenient "eras" that makes for easy association for fans and enhanced nostalgia.

the stick in rink was the original era, an identity that resonates with the fans that have been around for 40+ years.

the flying v was the smyl era, and will always be associated with the 82 run and towel power.

the plate of spaghetti was the linden/bure/mclean era, associated with the 94 run.

the maroon and navy whale, personally, i associate differently with two adjoining eras; the white jersey is keenan and messier and futility, the blue jersey is the west coast express/crawford era. i suspect most people will have slightly varying views on that one.

and finally, the current jersey is the sedin era, forever linked to the 2011 run.

i personally love that you can break canucks history down this way. it creates a vivid, crystal clear series of memories for me, picturing different guys in different sweaters and knowing when they played, who they played with, and remembering deeply how it felt at the time.

this team is entering a new era. the horvat/virtanen/etc era. i wish the team would realize the errors in their good intentions and come out with a new look for the new core.

this tidbit, to me, was the most interesting thing to come out of the summer summit last night. listening to vic de bonis explain the logic behind that decision made perfect sense ... except that it didn't.

he talked about how for the younger generation of fans, anybody up to age 25 or 26, that's all they've ever known. they've had the logo for 20 years and have created an identity with it. he felt that the addition of the vancouver word mark really hammered home the team's image and what they represent.

i see his point. i respect the thought process. but i beg to differ.

now, i know that it was the organization's goal, when they came out with this newest iteration of the sweater, to end the jersey carousel and to create an image that would be long lasting and would grow a sense of tradition akin to that that goes hand in hand with some other teams in the league (original six, flyers, blues, flames, oilers, penguins etc. spring immediately to mind). i understand that desire completely.

but it's too late. you can't go through 5 or 6 completely different looks in the first 40 years and then expect to create a unified, traditional image afterward. it just doesn't work that way. nobody is going to forget the first 40 years happened, and why would you want them to?

instead of trying to force a unified brand identity that not only won't actually work, but also that is preferred by at most 50% of their fan base over previous designs, i think this team would be better served by embracing their REAL identity, which is changing their look every 10 years or so.

they way it's worked so far has broken up the logos and jerseys by convenient "eras" that makes for easy association for fans and enhanced nostalgia.

the stick in rink was the original era, an identity that resonates with the fans that have been around for 40+ years.

the flying v was the smyl era, and will always be associated with the 82 run and towel power.

the plate of spaghetti was the linden/bure/mclean era, associated with the 94 run.

the maroon and navy whale, personally, i associate differently with two adjoining eras; the white jersey is keenan and messier and futility, the blue jersey is the west coast express/crawford era. i suspect most people will have slightly varying views on that one.

and finally, the current jersey is the sedin era, forever linked to the 2011 run.

i personally love that you can break canucks history down this way. it creates a vivid, crystal clear series of memories for me, picturing different guys in different sweaters and knowing when they played, who they played with, and remembering deeply how it felt at the time.

this team is entering a new era. the horvat/virtanen/etc era. i wish the team would realize the errors in their good intentions and come out with a new look for the new core.

Because great teams switch logos and jerseys all the time.....

ZOMG...we're rebuilding...we need a new jersey.

Every damn six months we get another post about changing jerseys, logos. You'd think the Canucks were some fashion brand that has to change with new trends.

Enough with the changes. Let's create an identity from our players and our team. I have friends outside BC, and they think our current jersey's are the best we ever had. We have Canucks fans from all over the world. Yet we have more complaints from local fans. Fans can't even agree on player moves, let alone what jersey's we like.

Because great teams switch logos and jerseys all the time.....

ZOMG...we're rebuilding...we need a new jersey.

Every damn six months we get another post about changing jerseys, logos. You'd think the Canucks were some fashion brand that has to change with new trends.

Enough with the changes. Let's create an identity from our players and our team. I have friends outside BC, and they think our current jersey's are the best we ever had. We have Canucks fans from all over the world. Yet we have more complaints from local fans. Fans can't even agree on player moves, let alone what jersey's we like.

I second this. If we want an identity this is where we start.

Thing of the flyers. Are they tough? No not at all. But whenever you think of that jersey, toughness comes to mind with the bullies. Same thing with the islanders. They sucked for the last decade but its hard not to think of the dynasty they had.

I dont want to hide out past anymore. It may not look all that great back there but its what we have. I want to see a bright future in spite of all that weve lost as a team.

Everything that happened at the Summit meeting must have its own thread.

2 separate threads for during the meeting and a thread with a summary of the events that took place after the meeting.

We also need trade rumour threads for any trade related responses from management. 1 in Canucks talk so people that can't navigate through the different forms can discuss, and 1 in TR&S, where the more adventurous users may find themselves discussing the trade related events of last night.

We do need to change the name to the whales then. Or, put a Canuck on the front of the jersey.

One or the other.

VANCOUVER JOHNNY HOCKEY CANUCK NORTHERN LUMBERJACK KILLER WHALES

celebrate western canada, ****en, eh, right, bud

change the jersey to plaid but keep the orca and the team plays with plastic axes you buy at value village for halloween costumes

new stanley cup champions

Get rid of the whale - it was brought in to plug "Orca Entertainment" not the Canucks, and never belonged. Doesn't make sense to keep it now that Orca Entertainment is irrelevant. I am ok with going back to the stick (third jersery), that jersery is good.

I guess it's a tough decision due to all the other logos. There is not one logo which all would embrace, so I can understand the management when they keep it.

But please remove all the "dark blue" from the logo. It's much nicer when it's white, like on the home jersey. Couldn't we go with a green logo on the away jerseys instead of the dark blue?

Or please redesign the killer whale and remove the name vancouver.

Bhaaa... let's just go back to the stick in the rink. it's a classic logo and our true identity!

I love the orca! I can understand if people want to get rid of the the giant VANCOUVER on the front, but I love the Orca. More importantly, I love the colors. The sea of blue is awesome. I personally think we have the second best jerseys in the league. Keep it please. I don't really like massive overhauls of jerseys and colors anyway. The great franchises keep their colors throughout. If we still had the black red and yellow, I would probably say keep those colors too, but now we have this, and there is no need to change. Right on Linden, right on

(I would say Columbus Blue Jackets have the best...)

That's unfortunate. The orca, as well as Johnny Canuck, both seem rather cartoon-ish to me. I know Johnny Canuck has a special place in the hearts of a lot of Canuck fans, but, if I weren't one myself I would find it laughable and hard to take the team seriously if either logo is what the organisation chooses to stick with.

Get rid of the whale - it was brought in to plug "Orca Entertainment" not the Canucks, and never belonged. Doesn't make sense to keep it now that Orca Entertainment is irrelevant. I am ok with going back to the stick (third jersery), that jersery is good.

Um what? Vancouver is one of the number 1 destinations in the world to see Orca whales it makes absolutely perfect sense. Ever wonder why a company like Orca Entertainment existed in Vancouver? Of course you didn't.

Archived