The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"As a primary logo, the orca isn't going anywhere"

tas

I think you're missing a point here.

1) You're correct (at least in my opinion) in the assumption that Vancouver and native art/orcas, goes hand in hand. - However, all your arguments contradict this. Not one example from you has a team with a name and a logo of something completely different. The Seahawks=Seahawk, Blackhawks=a Blackhawk (regardless of racist or not, it makes sense), Oil Kings=Crown (what does a king wear!?) Canadiens=CH (Club de Hockey Canadien) etc etc... they all makes sense. I hope can you understand that!?

2) The problem is that the team is named Canucks, to honor the old WHL team which took the name from the troops (called Canucks) in the WWII, and they (the troops) took it from the redesigned cartoon Johnny Canuck (made into a canadian captain america). So... I guess we could either do it the Rangers way, by simply write CANUCKS on our chest (which the old WHL team had, but as an arch) or make a new logo depicting either the troops logo of Johnny Canuck (the captain america replika), or the original lumberjack.

3) If we wanna keep the Orca/native art theme, we really should rename our franchise. At least skip the C-shape since the orca/native art has nothing to do with a Canuck.

Until 1986, they were called Black Hawks. So where are the black hawks? Unless you know some of the (racist) history there, the logo makes no literal sense at all.

How about the Ducks logo? Some vague wing that kinda looks like it's from a bat or dragon. Nothing to go quack there.

Columbus Logo... No Blue Jackets.

And can somebody tell me what a 'Wild' is? Or wtf that animal the Predators use is?

The Bruins logo is a B. Ours is a C. Sold yet?

WW2 has no appeal here. Scratch that. The lumberjack doesn't really apply to Vancouver either. Scratch that. So what is a Canuck? To us it's the team, and only the team. So the logo can be whatever they choose. That's what they've done so far.

Renaming the team isn't going to happen either. C for Canucks using the pacific northwest orca and native art is perfectly acceptable.

Until 1986, they were called Black Hawks. So where are the black hawks? Unless you know some of the (racist) history there, the logo makes no literal sense at all.

How about the Ducks logo? Some vague wing that kinda looks like it's from a bat or dragon. Nothing to go quack there.

Columbus Logo... No Blue Jackets.

And can somebody tell me what a 'Wild' is? Or wtf that animal the Predators use is?

The Bruins logo is a B. Ours is a C. Sold yet?

WW2 has no appeal here. Scratch that. The lumberjack doesn't really apply to Vancouver either. Scratch that. So what is a Canuck? To us it's the team, and only the team. So the logo can be whatever they choose. That's what they've done so far.

Renaming the team isn't going to happen either. C for Canucks using the pacific northwest orca and native art is perfectly acceptable.

Ok, here we go again... the blackhawks makes sense, go read the history books.

The ducks logo is a duck wing. They wanted to get away from the Disney corp. I thinks it's hideous, but it does have a meaning!

Blue jackets represent the flag and heritage from the what? Yes, the army and the blue jackets.

The wild represents the wild nature, hence the logo in shape of a wild animal with the forest, river etc...

The Bruins is a big B, as in Bruins... no strange "creature" making the B up...

Jesus... are you for real when you say these logos doesn't make any sense?

That you, yourself doesn't have any appeal for the cartoon from the WWII is perfectly fine, but that's where our team name comes from. You can dislike it, but not disregard it. The lumberjack was the original before the cartoon captain america, as I mentioned... did you even read my post!? You can think what you want, but there's no question about where our names heritage lies...

You can dislike it, and that's fine... but don't question the heritage.

I get it that you like the orca, and that's fine by me! :-) But please respect the people who doesn't like it. Don't come with bad arguments like that the CH in Canadiens logo has nothing with their club to do, or the Ducks, Blue Jackets etc...

yeah but wasn't he originally a political cartoon? And a terrible stereotype of Canadians..Rochester Americans don't skate around with uncle Sam on their chest

Yeah... I don't know about "terrible" though... :lol: I've seen a very old sketch as a lumberjack but also converted to a "terrible" canadian as a political person, before the troops took the captain america-style of Johnny Canuck. However, the reason why our team is called Canucks, is because the team before us, were named Canucks. (The WHL team from the 40's I think up until we got a NHL franchise.)

Ok, here we go again... the blackhawks makes sense, go read the history books.

The ducks logo is a duck wing. They wanted to get away from the Disney corp. I thinks it's hideous, but it does have a meaning!

Blue jackets represent the flag and heritage from the what? Yes, the army and the blue jackets.

The wild represents the wild nature, hence the logo in shape of a wild animal with the forest, river etc...

The Bruins is a big B, as in Bruins... no strange "creature" making the B up...

Jesus... are you for real when you say these logos doesn't make any sense?

That you, yourself doesn't have any appeal for the cartoon from the WWII is perfectly fine, but that's where our team name comes from. You can dislike it, but not disregard it. The lumberjack was the original before the cartoon captain america, as I mentioned... did you even read my post!? You can think what you want, but there's no question about where our names heritage lies...

You can dislike it, and that's fine... but don't question the heritage.

I get it that you like the orca, and that's fine by me! :-) But please respect the people who doesn't like it. Don't come with bad arguments like that the CH in Canadiens logo has nothing with their club to do, or the Ducks, Blue Jackets etc...

Jeez, what do ducks look like in your world?

Strange creature? It's an orca. As in freakin' Free Willy. lol.

I don't think you're aware of the heritage, but it doesn't matter when the original NHL Canucks did away with it all and started with the stick-in-rink, does it? Nobody remembers anything prior, certainly. So the 'heritage' is made up by fans of the lumberjack or the other invented looks made up by... The Canucks. That being said, the orca and native art ARE part of Vancouver's actual heritage. So wtf?

When the Canucks developed the standard of changing jerseys and looks every few years, imho that started a pattern of an inconsistency in terms of team identity and it has been part of the failure in the franchise. Shy of a total franchise reboot, I would suggest doing away with the pattern of changing looks every few years. It is ridiculous.

Jeez, what do ducks look like in your world?

Strange creature? It's an orca. As in freakin' Free Willy. lol.

I don't think you're aware of the heritage, but it doesn't matter when the original NHL Canucks did away with it all and started with the stick-in-rink, does it? Nobody remembers anything prior, certainly. So the 'heritage' is made up by fans of the lumberjack or the other invented looks made up by... The Canucks. That being said, the orca and native art ARE part of Vancouver's actual heritage. So wtf?

I am very aware of that, but you don't seem to be, since you're still talking about the lumberjack.

The old team were called the Canucks, to honor the troops name; Canucks. They got it from the redesigned cartoon of Johnny Canucks, dressed like the captain america.

Pretty clear actually. However, I haven't heard/read any evidence as of that our team took the name directly from the cartoon Johnny Canuck!? I think that was made up later, or indirect from the prior team.

PS Sorry, I meant a duck feet, not a wing ;-)

I am very aware of that, but you don't seem to be, since you're still talking about the lumberjack.

The old team were called the Canucks, to honor the troops name; Canucks. They got it from the redesigned cartoon of Johnny Canucks, dressed like the captain america.

Pretty clear actually. However, I haven't heard/read any evidence as of that our team took the name directly from the cartoon Johnny Canuck!? I think that was made up later, or indirect from the prior team.

PS Sorry, I meant a duck feet, not a wing ;-)

Where is this logo developed for the troop meaning? It is just the name Canucks. That's why the original PCHL looks were just the 'V' for Vancouver or the word 'Canucks'. Big deal. Would going back to that make you happy? Because guaranteed thousands of people would be miffed at having to update their jersey just for that lame copout.

Where is this logo developed for the troop meaning? It is just the name Canucks. That's why the original PCHL looks were just the 'V' for Vancouver or the word 'Canucks'. Big deal. Would going back to that make you happy? Because guaranteed thousands of people would be miffed at having to update their jersey just for that lame copout.

You just assume I want that logo!?

The only problem I have right now is with our current Orca, since it's heritage is from the american corp owned by John McCaw, and the original colors came from his corp as well. It's bad blood for me.

We can keep the orca theme (not necessarily in the shape of a C though) but please redesign it into a more Vancouverite-haida orca, so it's not the old corp logo. But that's just my opinion. I do respect all of you who want to keep the existing one though.

My priority, however, lies in going back to the SIR, even though I think it has no meaning and isn't that pretty. I've simply gotten used to it. And it is our original and goes well with our current (original colors!). No more changing...

I equate it to the New York Red Bulls of the MLS. This is happening more and more. There's many more in Europe and Asia. Corporations are taking over sports franchises and attaching their corporate name to the team/city. If it wasn't for Pat Quinn we would've been the Orca's. They're not necessarily their to sell a cheeseburger per say but their brand and stamp out their identity on a franchise and further promote their name. Now that Aquilinis changed the name to Canucks S & E freakin get rid of the Orca.

For people who talk about Orca's being so Vancouver, c'mon there's as many other Native art animals as there are Orcas. Just because it's the aquariums logo it doesn't mean it represents Vancouver.

But Orca Bay didn't sell or produce anything. It was simply a parent company to the Canucks, Grizzlies, and GM Place. So what point is there in promoting their name? None.

Btw, there is a pod of Orca's off our coast that doesn't migrate. This is unique as all other pods do migrate. It's why they are identified with our city so much.

No one wants to say it, but Canucks was a bad name to begin with.... It's just slang for Canadians.... Hard to come up with a logo for that..

Choosing that name was a marketing ploy. A friend of the owner suggested naming the team Canucks. It was shortly after WWII and the idea was to play on the locals sense of patriotism to support the team. Rather ironic considering how many see the Orca logo as a marketing ploy to promote Orca Bay.

But you're right. It's not a great team name if you want logo that actually matches the name. The only options I like are putting 'Canucks' across the jersey like the Rangers or using a C logo.

I'd keep the Orca. The I started watching the Canucks when they still had the flying skate but the logo has aged (most of it is because the font is so 90's).

The Orca at least looks pretty neat and the only problem with the Jersey anyways is the "Vancouver' on it.

Also as far a logos are concerned The Canucks do not have a tradition or roots to stick with. Changing the Orca now means the team's identity has go back to square one.

I'd keep the Orca. The I started watching the Canucks when they still had the flying skate but the logo has aged (most of it is because the font is so 90's).

Also as far a logos are concerned The Canucks do not have a tradition or roots to stick with. Changing the Orca now means the team's identity has go back to square one.

Going back to the club's roots is the only way to go. The current Agency font looks very cheap and block-style font should be brought back.

Even a 'V' logo with "CANUCKS" on the inside is far more acceptable. No orca or any animal. West Coast or not.

Going back to the club's roots is the only way to go. The current Agency font looks very cheap and block-style font should be brought back.

Even a 'V' logo with "CANUCKS" on the inside is far more acceptable. No orca or any animal. West Coast or not.

I guess we have to do it the "John McCaw-way..."

That is; buying the Canucks Sports & Entertainment from the Aquilini's and change the logo ourselves. :lol::rolleyes:

After all, it seems that most of the people in here doesn't have any problems with changing the logo/colors that way... B)

Is this the pre-NHL jersey of the Canucks in the PCHL?

1949nux.JPG

The Giants made a throwback jersey.

197_vancouver-giants-special_event-2013.

There's also this:

source_821_83819.jpg

I don't see a lumberjack.

Look out your window and you'll see a few lumberjack wannabes.

Anyways I do not wear any Canucks gear because I don't support the crack society that that whale smile is based on.

Stick and rink any day.

Archived