The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"As a primary logo, the orca isn't going anywhere"

tas

This call for Jersey change is just a ploy to make more money off the fans. As politely as I can.... screw off. I paid good money for my sweater.

You aren't obligated to buy every jersey. Simmer down.

As for jersey change I am not as opposed to it as others. People make it seem like changing jerseys has some sort of negative effect on the players. If it doesn't look stupid I couldn't care less if they switched up the jerseys.

This call for Jersey change is just a ploy to make more money off the fans. As politely as I can.... screw off. I paid good money for my sweater.

But the team is saying it won't change them and it's the fans actually clamouring for it... :unsure:

I fall in the 40+ group and never liked the stick in rink. A few friends in my age group like it for the nostalgia, but the majority are with me and never liked it. I love the Orca jersey. Best we've had as it represents where the team plays. It's very Pacific Northwest. Perfect.

As Linden showed asking people there what logo they preferred everybody has their favorite and you'll never get everybody on board with one. You can't please all the people. It's been our logo for almost 20 years. Our longest standing primary. So leave it alone and have a tradition. Variation is what the third jersey is for.

Get rid of the whale - it was brought in to plug "Orca Entertainment" not the Canucks, and never belonged. Doesn't make sense to keep it now that Orca Entertainment is irrelevant. I am ok with going back to the stick (third jersery), that jersery is good.

So basically plugged the Canucks. Don't really see how the Canucks Orca plugged the Grizzly's or concerts. Those are the only three things Orca Bay Entertainment and Sports promoted. :lol:

this tidbit, to me, was the most interesting thing to come out of the summer summit last night. listening to vic de bonis explain the logic behind that decision made perfect sense ... except that it didn't.

he talked about how for the younger generation of fans, anybody up to age 25 or 26, that's all they've ever known. they've had the logo for 20 years and have created an identity with it. he felt that the addition of the vancouver word mark really hammered home the team's image and what they represent.

i see his point. i respect the thought process. but i beg to differ.

now, i know that it was the organization's goal, when they came out with this newest iteration of the sweater, to end the jersey carousel and to create an image that would be long lasting and would grow a sense of tradition akin to that that goes hand in hand with some other teams in the league (original six, flyers, blues, flames, oilers, penguins etc. spring immediately to mind). i understand that desire completely.

but it's too late. you can't go through 5 or 6 completely different looks in the first 40 years and then expect to create a unified, traditional image afterward. it just doesn't work that way. nobody is going to forget the first 40 years happened, and why would you want them to?

instead of trying to force a unified brand identity that not only won't actually work, but also that is preferred by at most 50% of their fan base over previous designs, i think this team would be better served by embracing their REAL identity, which is changing their look every 10 years or so.

they way it's worked so far has broken up the logos and jerseys by convenient "eras" that makes for easy association for fans and enhanced nostalgia.

the stick in rink was the original era, an identity that resonates with the fans that have been around for 40+ years.

the flying v was the smyl era, and will always be associated with the 82 run and towel power.

the plate of spaghetti was the linden/bure/mclean era, associated with the 94 run.

the maroon and navy whale, personally, i associate differently with two adjoining eras; the white jersey is keenan and messier and futility, the blue jersey is the west coast express/crawford era. i suspect most people will have slightly varying views on that one.

and finally, the current jersey is the sedin era, forever linked to the 2011 run.

i personally love that you can break canucks history down this way. it creates a vivid, crystal clear series of memories for me, picturing different guys in different sweaters and knowing when they played, who they played with, and remembering deeply how it felt at the time.

this team is entering a new era. the horvat/virtanen/etc era. i wish the team would realize the errors in their good intentions and come out with a new look for the new core.

Lets look at some of the most successful teams...Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, Colorado Avalanche...they all had eras...and i don't see them changing their logos.

I for one am glad they are not changing it. The Orca, is creating its own history now. This is the "Canucks" jersey moving forward

I hate the orca...it has no meaning of anything to do with the Canucks. Give me stick-and-rink all day long...it may not be the greatest, but it represents Canuck hockey.

Quite honestly, the Canucks logo/graphic history is a complete joke and should be mocked.

I hate the orca...it has no meaning of anything to do with the Canucks. Give me stick-and-rink all day long...it may not be the greatest, but it represents Canuck hockey.

Quite honestly, the Canucks logo/graphic history is a complete joke and should be mocked.

Stick in Rink pertains to the sport, Orca pertains to where the team plays. Both have exactly the same meaning for "Canucks" as both form a "C". If one doesn't pertain to "Canucks" neither does the other.

i apologize to all, because this genuinely wasn't meant to be another rehashed jersey thread. frankly, i couldn't care less which logo any of you prefer, and if you noticed, i didn't offer my own opinion on the matter. as it were, i've often defended the orca, and despite it not being my first choice, i think it's fine.

this thread was supposed to be about the merits of identity and how the canucks should, in my opinion, stop running away from who they are and embrace the fact that they have a tendency to change their skin once in awhile. the methodology used by other, "more succeasful" teams is irrelevant to me. i don't see why the canucks can't blaze their own cultural trail and have a unique identity of change.

those organizations weren't successful because of the logos oj their chest, the success defined the logo.

Our current jerseys are hideous. The orca will never be a classic look. This team will never have an original six look, may as well keep changing the jersey till we find something that looks good. The blue/green color scheme with orca and Vancouver lettering is terrible, and is going on 5-6 years with no change.

Stick in Rink pertains to the sport, Orca pertains to where the team plays. Both have exactly the same meaning for "Canucks" as both form a "C". If one doesn't pertain to "Canucks" neither does the other.

When I saw the orca, upon introduction of Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, I thought 'may as well be a picture of a fax machine for all it matters'. Soulless and corporate.

Our current jerseys are hideous. The orca will never be a classic look. This team will never have an original six look, may as well keep changing the jersey till we find something that looks good. The blue/green color scheme with orca and Vancouver lettering is terrible, and is going on 5-6 years with no change.

I like the CANUCKS current look. I don't like seeing the team changing its jersey every couple of years. we must be the only team that has changed its jersey as often as we have. I don't think we will ever have an original six look. cause we aren't an original six team. and to me. well, that's ok.

The word Canuck means to be a true canadian. Where the hell does a whale fit into this? I get it represents our coastal lifestyle, and has some form of aboriginal roots in there, but Canuck means CANADIAN, and you can tell by looking at it its just a corporate sell-off to the fanbase.

JOHNNY CANUCK FOR OUR LOGO!

Archived