The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"As a primary logo, the orca isn't going anywhere"

tas

Get rid of the whale - it was brought in to plug "Orca Entertainment" not the Canucks, and never belonged. Doesn't make sense to keep it now that Orca Entertainment is irrelevant. I am ok with going back to the stick (third jersery), that jersery is good.

The way I see it is that the logo transcended the original Orca Entertainment association to being the symbol of Vancouver hockey. It might have been designed as an endorsement, but how many people even remember them? That symbol is THE symbol associated with the Canucks across the league/ world today. Not many people outside of Vancouver even remember any of our logos pre-late 90s.

More like 30% Orca, 30% Stick in Rink, 30% Downhill skate, 10% the freaks that like the flying V. (Barf)

WooHoo Flying V!!!

If you want to call us Vee freaks, so be it. B) Also why is the V described as "flying"? Shouldn't that be attached to the skate logo?

The Big Vee logo. Still ahead of its time I guess. (has there ever been a design where the jersey IS the logo before or since?) Love to see the Vee in blue and green.

The way I see it is that the logo transcended the original Orca Entertainment association to being the symbol of Vancouver hockey. It might have been designed as an endorsement, but how many people even remember them? That symbol is THE symbol associated with the Canucks across the league/ world today. Not many people outside of Vancouver even remember any of our logos pre-late 90s.

Enough with catering to the outside world. Most educated and knowledgeable sports fans in North America know that an orca has nothing to do with the Canucks name. When I talk to tourists about the Canucks or hockey in general, I show them my Johnny Canuck and Stick in Rink key chain pieces. I explain to them the origins and history of the team. I also tell them the truth about the Orca Bay ownership and its meddling of the Canucks brand.

Look at the other Vancouver pro sports teams' logos:

1. Vancouver Whitecaps - White-capped mountain peaks reflecting a "VW" in the water below. No Native-themed animals to be seen. Soccer is far more popular to our tourists than hockey. Team was originally named after the white-capped mountain peaks.

2. B.C. Lions - Mountain lion's head roaring out of BC. Team was originally named after the Lions mountain peaks and the BC mountain lion, aka the cougar. No Native-themed mountain lion, however.

3. Vancouver Canadians - One of the nicest and most creative logos in all of sports. A baseball occupying the negative white space inside a red circular "C" for C's, whom the Canadians are commonly referred to as, going back to their old Triple A Pacific Coast League days. A small maple leaf forms an apostrophe in "C's". Again, no Native-themed animals to cater to Tourism Vanco. If Vancouver ever got a major league team, the C's name, logo and brand would be a no-brainer.

The Canucks would be doing themselves a huge favour by going with a logo that unites the majority of Canucks fans, young and old, male and female, Vancouver/BC born-and-raised and new to Vancouver/BC. The Stick in Rink and Johnny Canuck fit that description.

Enough with catering to the outside world. Most educated and knowledgeable sports fans in North America know that an orca has nothing to do with the Canucks name. When I talk to tourists about the Canucks or hockey in general, I show them my Johnny Canuck and Stick in Rink key chain pieces. I explain to them the origins and history of the team. I also tell them the truth about the Orca Bay ownership and its meddling of the Canucks brand.

1. Vancouver Whitecaps - White-capped mountain peaks reflecting a "VW" in the water below. No Native-themed animals to be seen. Soccer is far more popular to our tourists than hockey. Team was originally named after the white-capped mountain peaks.

2. B.C. Lions - Mountain lion's head roaring out of BC. Team was originally named after the Lions mountain peaks and the BC mountain lion, aka the cougar. No Native-themed mountain lion, however.

3. Vancouver Canadians - One of the nicest and most creative logos in all of sports. A baseball occupying the negative white space inside a red circular "C" for C's, whom the Canadians are commonly referred to as, going back to their old Triple A Pacific Coast League days. A small maple leaf forms an apostrophe in "C's". Again, no Native-themed animals to cater to Tourism Vanco. If Vancouver ever got a major league team, the C's name, logo and brand would be a no-brainer.

The Canucks would be doing themselves a huge favour by going with a logo that unites the majority of Canucks fans, young and old, male and female, Vancouver/BC born-and-raised and new to Vancouver/BC. The Stick in Rink and Johnny Canuck fit that description.

Get your facts straight. Whitecaps were named after a combination of the whitecaps of the ocean and the top of mountains as viewed by one of the founders of the team.

deBonis has spoken. The orca isn't going anywhere no matter how much you wish it does. Get used to it.

Like it or get lost? Who said I need to love the jerseys to be a diehard fan. Throwing out words like "gutless" in regards to a team jersey... Melodramtic much?

You are kidding right? This whole constantly recurring jersey change thing is melodramatic in the extreme. If the jersey means so damn much to some of you, seriously, find another team.

Black, yellow and red need to come back... Sure we have blue skies and water, green mountains etc etc... I just feel like that the old Colors were tough and intimidating... Current color's are soft and scream push me around

Actually it's the players wearing the jerseys right now that scream push me around. No one messed with the Canucks when the likes of Hordichuk, Rypien, Glass, Kesler (pre shoulder problems), Bieksa, O'Brien were matching up against other teams' toughness.

Vancouver pre-Orca was a totally different city. The Olympics really cemented the city's world-class identity. No way to just suddenly go back and say "Yeah, I identify with a symbol that speaks to a scrappy, underdog team from an internationally barely-known Canadian city."

The city and the team are inseparable and both have changed dramatically. There's no going back.

Because great teams switch logos and jerseys all the time.....

ZOMG...we're rebuilding...we need a new jersey.

Every damn six months we get another post about changing jerseys, logos. You'd think the Canucks were some fashion brand that has to change with new trends.

Enough with the changes. Let's create an identity from our players and our team. I have friends outside BC, and they think our current jersey's are the best we ever had. We have Canucks fans from all over the world. Yet we have more complaints from local fans. Fans can't even agree on player moves, let alone what jersey's we like.

Have to agree. I like the current logo. And there is a lot to be said for tradition. Teams that are constantly making changes in attempt to be trendy usually do more harm than good.

Get your facts straight. Whitecaps were named after a combination of the whitecaps of the ocean and the top of mountains as viewed by one of the founders of the team.

deBonis has spoken. The orca isn't going anywhere no matter how much you wish it does. Get used to it.

The white-capped mountains ARE the main reason why the soccer team is called "Whitecaps". It was Danny Veich, the 'Caps original gm and Bob Lenarduzzi's future father-in-law, who decided on the team name when he was driving home over the Lions Gate Bridge. He noticed the white-capped mountains. However, he did notice the white-capped waves in the water surrounding the city. And again, no second rate Native-themed animals in the logo.

de Bonis is just an Aquilini puppet who wouldn't dare utter any mention of a potential logo change. What he said and what the Canucks eventually do are two different things. His reasons for keeping the orca are just plain weak. Then, again, he's just a corporate puppet who sounds rehearsed.

Until the orca is finally ditched, the Canucks will continue to lag far behind the other Vancouver sports teams and other pro sports teams when it comes to having a solid identity and brand.

The white-capped mountains ARE the main reason why the soccer team is called "Whitecaps". It was Danny Veich, the 'Caps original gm and Bob Lenarduzzi's future father-in-law, who decided on the team name when he was driving home over the Lions Gate Bridge. He noticed the white-capped mountains. However, he did notice the white-capped waves in the water surrounding the city. And again, no second rate Native-themed animals in the logo.

de Bonis is just an Aquilini puppet who wouldn't dare utter any mention of a potential logo change. What he said and what the Canucks eventually do are two different things. His reasons for keeping the orca are just plain weak. Then, again, he's just a corporate puppet who sounds rehearsed.

Until the orca is finally ditched, the Canucks will continue to lag far behind the other Vancouver sports teams and other pro sports teams when it comes to having a solid identity and brand.

Straws_zpsfgbiztdn.jpg

Vancouver pre-Orca was a totally different city. The Olympics really cemented the city's world-class identity. No way to just suddenly go back and say "Yeah, I identify with a symbol that speaks to a scrappy, underdog team from an internationally barely-known Canadian city."

The city and the team are inseparable and both have changed dramatically. There's no going back.

Vancouver from the pre-Orca days was not only a different city, it was a much better city. It was far more affordable, less transient, less congested, less politically correct and there was a more "hometown feel" to it. The city is now run by bleeding-heart politicians(Hello Mayor Moonbeam), greedy developers who overprice property and sell to absentee foreign buyers while the middle-class gets squeezed out into the suburbs while beautiful mid-20th century homes and neighbourhoods are compromised at the hands of the density movement and foreign capitalism.

The city simply is overrated and overpriced. Take away the beautiful natural scenery and the city is nothing.

but it's too late. you can't go through 5 or 6 completely different looks in the first 40 years and then expect to create a unified, traditional image afterward. it just doesn't work that way. nobody is going to forget the first 40 years happened, and why would you want them to?

The orca logo has been a part of the Canucks organization for 18 years, so the idea that it somehow is new & isn't a huge part of the Canucks 44 year history is ridiculous.

If you want to keep a long lasting history & tradition, you have to stop screwing with things. Keep the Orca, it's actually grown on me quite a bit over the many, many years it's been a part of the Canucks logo.

I just wished the Canucks third jersey was the original stick-in-the rink logo on Canucks blue, instead of the newer "stylized" version.

As far as logos in general go, it is a pretty $&!#ty logo, never even mind that it doesn't go with the Canuck nickname. It wouldn't even appeal to me if it was just used as a corporate logo. Too Mickey Mouse. Doesn't have any respectable elements that other world wide recognizable logos. Too bad.

Killer whales/orcas are primarily found off the coast of Vancouver Island, not Vancouver. It's wrong to keep a logo that only caters to tourists, transients and the so-called 25 and under fanbase.

This is a 45 year-old franchise(3rd oldest Canadian NHL franchise) and for it to have a lasting and timeless identity, the classic Stick in Rink C and Johnny Canuck(one as the primary/one as the main secondary) need to represent the Canucks 24/7. The current colours are great and are enough to represent the Pacific Northwest.

I don't buy De Bonis's argument for ONE second. Any mumble of a logo change and his job is on the line. All potential logo/brand changes are strictly confidential. Even "No comment" doesn't cut it.

I guess you haven't heard or seen any videos from the past decade of killer whales being spotted in the English Bay and Burrard Inlet then..

So you go out of your way to not only bash the current orca logo but also put it down and disregard it as part of the brand and image of Vancouver's only professional sports team in North America's big four sports leagues. Cool.

Also, de Bonis did say the stick in rink logo is staying and it is his preference so are you happy?

Archived