The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report)Baertschi will not accept qualifying offer

jono2009

The man wants his shot in the NHL. I get that. If I was him, my one unbendable demand would be a 1 way contract. He sure has deserved it. if I were him, I would even take lower money for a 1 way contract if I had too

It remains to be determined what he deserves.

Just because he has a one way doesn't mean he deserves a spot on the team. He also doesn't deserve being paid 60k a year playing in Utica

However since he hasn't clear waivers you might as well give him a one way since he has no chance of clearing unless he totally sucks

Just because he has a one way doesn't mean he deserves a spot on the team. He also doesn't deserve being paid 60k a year playing in Utica

However since he hasn't clear waivers you might as well give him a one way since he has no chance of clearing unless he totally sucks

Exactly. I don't know why people care about this so much. The only people it affects is Sven and the owners wallets. He won't make it through waivers anyways so might as well just pay him the one way deal.

Call me old school, but imo a 2-way deal makes players accountable and quite frankly, motivates them.

But I realized that players these days don't live/play by old school morality, at least not many do.

It's simple.

He just wants his job to be secured. I'd give him a one-way contract seeing as that he won't pass waivers as he'll most likely be claimed. These are just simple negotiations. This happened to Markstrom, and Grenier, oh and they're resigned.

I don't know why people are freaking out and already jumping to conclusions, it's a business and soon, Baertschi will be resigned.

Based on what? What makes him deserving of a 1 way? What has he done? What has he accomplished?

Dont get me wrong im really pulling for him, and have really high hopes for him, and want him to be on this team. But he hasnt earned anything yet.

Benning traded for him for a reason. He's going to be on this team in a bigger role for a reason. They clearly want him to play a role for this team while he is developing. To me that means he's done something to earn the right to negotiate for a 1 way deal. This team wants him and that makes him a commodity and a commodity doesn't get pay 10%/20% of his contract at any point.

Who has the lack of faith ? Bearstchi doesn't think he can make it or Benning thinks he can't make it to the Roster.

Go home you're drunk.

It's simple.

He just wants his job to be secured. I'd give him a one-way contract seeing as that he won't pass waivers as he'll most likely be claimed. These are just simple negotiations. This happened to Markstrom, and Grenier, oh and they're resigned.

I don't know why people are freaking out and already jumping to conclusions, it's a business and soon, Baertschi will be resigned.

There is the small chance Baertschi flames out (no pun intended) and is so bad he could actually pass through waivers. Having a two way deal would be just fine in that case, where the one way really is moot if he plays well because of that waiver eligibility otherwise.

i agree mike...people here always try making mountains out of mole hills...chill out

it's as if most fans are only set on " reactionary " mode and further this setting is stuck on " negative ".

A little foresight and actually paying attention to what the team is saying is tremendously "lack"ing here. Just because someone says something in the media or a report comes out doesn't mean it is the be all and end all.

* I mean I like to listen to Pratt, but give it up already, lack was NOT the better goaltender, this was confirmed by the best League in the world which values him as a backup.

* Because Botchford says the Canucks were trying to trade Kassian since Benning came on board and the return was horrible in Prust.......last I checked Prust is an NHLer who can play physical and be a leader, something Kassian was not going to be. Kassian was also not going to be playing any top six minutes in Vancouver so the Canucks upgraded their bottom six with a player they know what they are getting and can be relied upon.

* Baertschi does not accept a qualifying offer, why do people automatically assume the worst ? really, again taking a minute to read or look at other scenarios around the League one will see this is common place.

* It will be fine, he will be signed lol

yeah geniouses.... every player that feels theyve graduated from the AHL wants a 1 way deal... this isnt anything new, nor is it need for concern.

If for some reason Baert does not turn out, a one way deal could be his lottery ticket, and why not battle to get that. Anyone here would be doing the exact same thing in that position.

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 3h Hearing that #Canucks forward Sven Baertschi will not accept his qualifying offer. Hearing Baertschi wants a 1 way contract.

Funny thing about this thread is that it has gone on for 4 pages based on hearsay, there is no link or posting of the actual story which leaves a lot of imaginative fill in the blanks speculation by all of the negative posters.

The bottom line is that it is quite rare to see a player agree to a qualifying offer. What it does is it allows for additional time to allow both sides to bargain to get a contract that they are both comfortable with.

This is what Sven B is doing but it is also what the Canucks are doing so good for them.

I was always worried about this guy; a soft offense only forward from Switzerland who knows full well that if his NHL career doesn't go just the way he wants he can always go back home to the league where nobody ever hits anybody and be a star for the next 20 years and get paid very well indeed for not even breaking a sweat. I'm with those who say that he's proven nothing at the NHL level yet and needs to prove that he's a keeper before we throw millions of $ at him. Maybe, just maybe Burkie was right about him...

I was always worried about this guy (Sbisa); a hitting only defenseman from Switzerland who knows full well that if his NHL career doesn't go just the way he wants he can always get paid a stupid amount for being the most amazing turnover machine on the team and having lead hands that can't stick check to go with eyes that can't see the other Canucks when he makes a pass. I'm with those who say that he's proven nothing at the NHL level yet and needs to prove that he's a keeper before we throw millions of $ at him. Maybe, just maybe 3 other GMs were right about him...

I have no problem, we just gave up a 2nd round pick for the guy i'd rather see him play this year and say yay/nay on him instead of just squandering that pick.

It's not like a 1 way is a non movement clause.

Calm down. It's not like He's asking for more the world. He's waiver eligible and Benning and the organization has said it numerous times already that he's going to be on this team. He's going to be on this team no matter what. Even if he sucks, like Vey, because Benning and co already given up a 2nd round pick for him and they don't wanna look stupid since they already are getting boos.

Archived