The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning makes the Connection.

Me_

At the 2015 Summer Summit, Jim Benning gets drilled by a live fan question who showed the emotion we all feel as true Canucks fans.

The question went like this:

"Why are you spending so much money on the fourth line with Dorsett and Prust", "There's $5,000,000.00 between those two guys"

The second part of the question was:

"I keep hearing playoff, playoff, playoff, but I'm not hearing Cup. The Sedins have maybe three years left... they were top 10 scorers last year, they proved to us they can play at a high level still and we're still going to the playoffs". The man proceeded to say the magic words:

"I wanna win a Cup. And I don't know if you guys wanna win a Cup, I wanna win a Cup".

The crowd got behind the man with the question and a front was fast created, full of passion, emotion and cheers.

Here is what Jim Benning had to say:

"I love the passion of our fans and..." to which the crowd suddenly turned around with laughter. The crowd now cheered Benning on.

As the cheering continues, Benning says:

"...and the emotion. If we could take the energy and this emotion and transport it to our team, then we'll be closer to winning a Stanley Cup."

There it is.

The Connection. The connection between fan and team media that creates that extra energy and emotion needed to win the Cup. Like Boston against the Canucks. Never have I seen such a rally of fans in hockey as in Boston in 2011. Boston wins that battle by far. It is that battle that could not have been won in Vancouver; the Vancouver media joined the Boston bandwagon by not defending its own team.

Not one team could have won against that barrage of yellow and black waiving rabbid alliance between team, fandom and media that eventually got to our own Canadian icon Don Cherry. The war was already over when the Canucks fought that last battle; deflated, tails between their legs like wet cats at the end of a storm. The Canucks' fate was sealed in part because of one 23 year old player named Brad Marchand.

Why? Because he could.

Benning doesn't waste time in elaborating, very clearly, on how to get there:

"We're going to do things the right way around here. We're drafting right, we're drafting players that we win with... you've seen in Bo Horvat, you've seen one of those players and Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann and Brock Boeser."

"Part of getting that 3rd round pick was to draft Guilliaume Brisebois. If we would have got a 2nd round pick, that was the guy we were going to draft. Guilliaume Brisebois is going to be a top four defenseman for us going forward. We're really excited to get him at the top of the 3rd."

Benning then elaborates on what the reasoning is, behind spending so much money on a 4th line involving Dorsett and Prust:

"To answer your question about the fourth line. When we analyzed where we came up short in the playoffs, Calgary played with more emotion than we did. Michael Ferland was running around and we need to be able to rise to that occasion in the playoffs and play with emotion. With Brandon Prust, we're going to brind in young players. L.A. got tougher getting Lucic. Other teams around us got tougher. I don't want our young players to get picked on this year. I want them to go out, to be able to play, and feel comfortable and with Dorsett and Prust in the lineup, they're going to create a safe working environment for our young players."

There it is. The team can do what it can to win a Cup; draft right, develop players right, guide our young players in the right direction and protect them on the ice. However, the ingredient that makes or breaks a team, is its fans.

Unfortunately, fans in this city are at the mercy of the media, that is comprised of a group of men on the other side of the life trip who have coffee together, and who each possess a seeming personal vendeta to seek and destroy wherever fun might be.

That emotion the grumpy media personalities in this town din't want to go along with, wins Cups.

If we can break that, we will have a Cup.

Passion from a fanbase is a wonderful thing, but if the players are relying on that passion to drive them on, then you've got the wrong players.

I'm glad Benning touched on bringing in players who play with that emotional edge. It's important, and obviously a big reason why the Canucks come up short often times in the playoffs.

I didn't need to see the summit to know that JB gets it.

Slowly but surely he's making his team the way he wants it, anyone who doesn't truly believe TL/JB want to win is clueless.

You can't win overnight. CHI missed the playoffs nine of ten years before they were competitive and ANA missed 4/5. Plus, I'm certain ownership is meddling making things even tougher for JB.

Benning - I don't want our young players to get picked on this year. I want them to go out, to be able to play, and feel comfortable and with Dorsett and Prust in the lineup, they're going to create a safe working environment for our young player"

I never heard the interview, but reading about it, It seems they a legit question regarding the money spent on the 4th line (What happens when the contracts are up for 1,2 and 3rd lines) ?

I myself don't 100% agree with Bennings statement

The League has rules to protect the Players

Chicago won a cup without high priced "tough" guys

The Bruins and Benning only won 1 cup with that formula, and it will be years before that formula comes back (if at all, with less hitting and players safety being more prominent now)

You just need team toughness players standing up for each other

Sbisa and Dorsett were on against Ferland (as Benning referred too), Yet those two didn't stop him and were still rewarded very nicely with a raise - (So why did he do that then) and now he needs more ?

Are we sacrificing speed for toughness now?

I would like to see a nice balance myself

I am for the skill and toughness and make them pay when you get a pp,

Boston fans? Are you kidding me? Where were they when the B's were losing, the arena was half empty until they went on their recent lucky run. Try comparing the fans to Montreal, where they voice their opinion on every little play, from an offside to a potential penalty. This shows that the fans are indoctrinated on the game of hockey, they know what is up.

Montreal is the heart of hockey, their fans are raised on following the Habs religiously, I am not sure if the OP is being sarcastic, but to say Boston has great fans is ridiculous. Watch a habs game to find out how they really love hockey.

I complained all last year that the Canucks didn't have enough players who played with courage.

Our big guys -- Kassian and Matthias -- played like flyweights...Bieksa was a beaten down old warrior who was more heart than anything else (and unfortunately, that made him one dimensional).

You know you lack courage when the toughest guys on the team are the Sedins (and they're described as tough because of all the abuse they take and they keep playing on).

Glad to see that we have the toughest middleweights in the NHL in Prust and Dorsett...would be nice to supplement them with a couple of real heavyweights that can play the game.

At the 2015 Summer Summit, Jim Benning gets drilled by a live fan question who showed the emotion we all feel as true Canucks fans.

The question went like this:

"Why are you spending so much money on the fourth line with Dorsett and Prust", "There's $5,000,000.00 between those two guys"

The second part of the question was:

"I keep hearing playoff, playoff, playoff, but I'm not hearing Cup. The Sedins have maybe three years left... they were top 10 scorers last year, they proved to us they can play at a high level still and we're still going to the playoffs". The man proceeded to say the magic words:

"I wanna win a Cup. And I don't know if you guys wanna win a Cup, I wanna win a Cup".

The crowd got behind the man with the question and a front was fast created, full of passion, emotion and cheers.

Here is what Jim Benning had to say:

"I love the passion of our fans and..." to which the crowd suddenly turned around with laughter. The crowd now cheered Benning on.

As they continued to cheer, Benning says:

"...and the emotion. If we could take the energy and this emotion and transport it to our team, then we'll be closer to winning a Stanley Cup."

There it is.

The Connection. The connection between fan and team creating the energy and emotion needed to win the Cup. Like Boston against the Canucks. The thing the grumpy media personalities don't go along witn in this town. Chicago comes close but in terms of fandom, Boston wins by far.

Never have I seen such a rally of fans in hockey as in boston in 2011. Not one team could have won against that barrage of yellow and black waiving rabbid fandom and media that eventually got to our own Canadian icon Don Cherry. The war was already over when the Canucks fought the last battle. Deflated, tails between their legs like wet cats at the end of a storm.

Benning doesn't waste time in answering, very clearly, how to get there:

"We're going to do things the right way around here. We're drafting right, we're drafting players that we win with... you've seen in Bo horvat, you've seen one of those players and Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann and Brock Boeser."

"Part of getting that 3rd round pick was to draft Guilliaume Brisebois. If we would have got a 2nd round pick, that was the guy we were going to draft. Guilliaume Brisebois is going to be a top four defenseman for us going forward. We're really excited to get him at the top of the 3rd."

Benning then elaborates on what the reasoning is behind spending so much money on a 4th line involging Dorsett and Prust:

"To answer your question about the fourth line. When we analyzed where we came up short in the playoffs, Calgary played with more emotion than we did. Michael Ferland was running around and we need to be able to rise to that occasion in the playoffs and play with emotion. With Brandon Prust, we're going to brind in young players. L.A. got tougher getting Lucic. Other teams around us got tougher. I don't want our young players to get picked on this year. I want them to go out, to be able to play, and feel comfortable and with Dorsett and Prust in the lineup, they're going to create a safe working environment for our young player"

There it is. The team can do what it can to win a Cup; draft right, develop players right, guide our young players in the right direction and protect them on the ice. However, the ingredient that makes or break a team, is its fans.

Unfortunately, fans in this city are at the mercy of the media, comprised of men on the other side of the life trip who possess a seeming personal vendeta to seek and destroy wherever fun might be.

If we can break that, we will have a Cup.

Very eloquent and well written post, Me.

You don't need a tough guy when your Norris d-man is the dirtiest /cheapest player on the team and anyone who goes near him gets tossed from the game while he goes on handing out elbows like candy on the 31st.

Still pissed,how can you tell? ;).

Benning - I don't want our young players to get picked on this year. I want them to go out, to be able to play, and feel comfortable and with Dorsett and Prust in the lineup, they're going to create a safe working environment for our young player"

I never heard the interview, but reading about it, It seems they a legit question regarding the money spent on the 4th line (What happens when the contracts are up for 1,2 and 3rd lines) ?

I myself don't 100% agree with Bennings statement

The Bruins and Benning only won 1 cup with that formula, and it will be years before that formula comes back (if at all, with less hitting and players safety being more prominent now)

You just need team toughness players standing up for each other

Sbisa and Dorsett were on against Ferland (as Benning referred too), Yet those two didn't stop him and were still rewarded very nicely with a raise - (So why did he do that then) and now he needs more ?

Are we sacrificing speed for toughness now?

I would like to see a nice balance myself

I am for the skill and toughness and make them pay when you get a pp,

The league does have rules to keep players safe, but lacks the legitimate officials to consistently enforce them.

And the Bruins and Benning having one Cup is still one more than Vancouver has ever won.

Archived