The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning makes the Connection.

Me_

I think having tough guys is still key in today's nhl, in 2011 we lost because we got beat up by the bruins, last years playoffs our guys were scared of a plug named ferland who got eliminated from being a threat right off the bat against Anaheim

The last 5 Stanley cups were by strong and skilled and fast teams in Chicago, Boston and LA

The 2011 canucks were fast and skilled but were not a very big and strong team.

Benning - I don't want our young players to get picked on this year. I want them to go out, to be able to play, and feel comfortable and with Dorsett and Prust in the lineup, they're going to create a safe working environment for our young player"

I never heard the interview, but reading about it, It seems they a legit question regarding the money spent on the 4th line (What happens when the contracts are up for 1,2 and 3rd lines) ?

I myself don't 100% agree with Bennings statement

The League has rules to protect the Players

Chicago won a cup without high priced "tough" guys

The Bruins and Benning only won 1 cup with that formula, and it will be years before that formula comes back (if at all, with less hitting and players safety being more prominent now)

You just need team toughness players standing up for each other

Sbisa and Dorsett were on against Ferland (as Benning referred too), Yet those two didn't stop him and were still rewarded very nicely with a raise - (So why did he do that then) and now he needs more ?

Are we sacrificing speed for toughness now?

I would like to see a nice balance myself

I am for the skill and toughness and make them pay when you get a pp,

agreed on those points

Guys like Dorsett and Prust get paid well and have long careers not because of the points they put up or their stats. They have these careers because GM's want them on their team. It's the passion, the leadership, the mentoring all the little things they do. These guys give a crap and it's infectious. It's about team building and about culture change.

The Canucks have the best fans in the NHL and they will be counted on now and in the future while the Canucks go through this period of change. Sure, it's going to be hard. It's going to be a challenge. But the goal of the Canucks is to win the cup and the fans need to understand that this involves making the playoffs every season, regardless of circumstances. Whether or not that happens, it's still about building a winning atmosphere.

In this market you have to make the playoffs because that's what the fans want, and if the team is real lucky, a cap may arrive.

I'm a fan and I don't want that if it means the team stays in a state of permanent mediocrity indefinitely.

Neither do I! That was also summit dude's 2nd point about playoffs. It was a very good point. He said all the management talks about is playoffs and just making the playoffs is the goal. They never talk about the cup because even they know that's unrealistic at this point. Therefore, his point was just making the playoffs only to be one and done serves this team no good in the future. It just fuels the cycle of mediocrity because you never get high draft picks and just make the playoffs while being no credible threat. It leads to an endless cycle of mediocrity.

The Canucks have the best fans in the NHL and they will be counted on now and in the future while the Canucks go through this period of change. Sure, it's going to be hard. It's going to be a challenge. But the goal of the Canucks is to win the cup and the fans need to understand that this involves making the playoffs every season, regardless of circumstances. Whether or not that happens, it's still about building a winning atmosphere.

In this market you have to make the playoffs because that's what the fans want, and if the team is real lucky, a cap may arrive.

Winnipeg

Well it's obvious Benning is trying to change the culture of the organization by trying to inject more passion, inspiration, energy, and emotion on the ice by bringing in Prust, locking up Dorsett, trading and drafting players with intangibles like character and leadership while slowly getting rid of players that don't fit this mould (Kassian, Matthias.) I totally agree with his philosophy because what I've seen from this club for a few years is a total abomination when it matters most. The team folds like a cheap suit and can't handle pressure or adversity. I'm glad the team is trending in this direction because what I saw against Calgary was a bunch of uninspired, emotionally frail, old, slow, joke of a team who didn't know how to deal with a much hungrier team.

Well it's obvious Benning is trying to change the culture of the organization by trying to inject more passion, inspiration, energy, and emotion on the ice by bringing in Prust, locking up Dorsett, trading and drafting players with intangibles like character and leadership while slowly getting rid of players that don't fit this mould (Kassian, Matthias.) I totally agree with his philosophy because what I've seen from this club for a few years is a total abomination when it matters most. The team folds like a cheap suit and can't handle pressure or adversity. I'm glad the team is trending in this direction because what I saw against Calgary was a bunch of uninspired, emotionally frail, old, slow, joke of a team who didn't know how to deal with a much hungrier team.

Well, you're a bit hard Pickly but I think you've got something there.

Debatable.

I remember the original Jets from back in the day and I recall the Queen presiding over a half empty arena on numerous occasions.

The team got moved for a reason.

Alberta and Winnipeg don't count, they have nothing else to do.

Toronto is where it's at. Crap team. Winningest business.

Well, you're a bit hard Pickly but I think you've got something there.

I'm a realist. I call it the way I see it. From what I've seen in years past is the culture needs a complete overhaul and it started with a new management group last season now it's a matter of getting rid of the deadweight on the ice that's been bogging the team down for years. Like I loved Juice and there's no doubting his heart and leadership but when he ran his mouth regarding Michael Ferland last year and followed it up with the worst playoff performance of his career it was mind boggling.

"I love the passion of our fans and..." to which the crowd suddenly turned around with laughter. The crowd now cheered Benning on.

As the cheering continues, Benning says:

"...and the emotion. If we could take the energy and this emotion and transport it to our team, then we'll be closer to winning a Stanley Cup."

Not sure how you all read that, but if I'm not mistaken he's saying that the fans have emotion and passion but the players on the team do not. That's pretty obvious anyways from the last 3 playoffs this team has quit most of the old core is now just a cancer that needs to be removed they have lost their drive.

The Sedins and a few others still care but most of them know that 2011 was their one chance and they blew it.

Winnipeg

Winnipeg has had the whitest, and now the newest. They are excited about their product returning to Winnipeg, but Vancouver's fans are still the best as they continue to support the team every year no matter what. CSE will continue to entertain the fans here every season regardless of who is considered the best or the worst fans, a completely subjective and dynamic determination.

Wait, so it wasn't the injuries that cost us one more win in 2011 after we'd had the best team in the league during the season? And I went to a playoff game that year, seems to me the fans were exceedingly pumped and very much providing energy and all that to the team.

I'm a realist. I call it the way I see it. From what I've seen in years past is the culture needs a complete overhaul and it started with a new management group last season now it's a matter of getting rid of the deadweight on the ice that's been bogging the team down for years. Like I loved Juice and there's no doubting his heart and leadership but when he ran his mouth regarding Michael Ferland last year and followed it up with the worst playoff performance of his career it was mind boggling.

I think that Juice was hurting and it wasn't just the hand injury (that was publicised). He's slightly undersized and has always played such a hard game. I think the hard miles have just caught up to him. Good luck in Anaheim Juice...

Benning couldn't find a replacement on the blue line so went for Prust imo. You need a few guys who can stand up physically and play well enough too.

I'm liking the team that Benning is cobbling together. There may be a year or two of lean times but in the long run I think that they'll be fine.

Last regime change, when Gillis was hired, many of the building blocks were already in place so there wasn't the same pain. That happened before Gillis got here. Plus it was 10 years ago. People forget how it feels. If Benning has a leash long enough to do this right, the Canucks will be better than ever. I really believe that.

Archived