The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning makes the Connection.

Me_

Having perused the postings in this thread, it is good to see a return of enthusiasm about our team. A week ago, Benning and Linden were getting torched unnecessarily. Good for Canuck fans once again.

It is good to see fans bleeding blue and green omce again. Now all we need to do is teach the sports media how to properly report the sports news rather thn stir up controversy in every corner of the Canuck camp.

Mark Twain once said: "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are mis-informed." How true!

Sure they have cups, and have had history. I don't think the way they support their team has a lot to do with the cups. I mean yes they can be happy a bout the cups, but that's not what support should be about. Supporting a team means loving them with dedication and passion, loyalty through thick and thin.I get what you mean. They have had their parades and they have seen it all. But for a city like ours, support at this time is much needed, but I don't see it anywhere. Everyone is just so negative and critical of the team, and perhaps they have a right to be. With that being said, a little bit positivity towards the team won't hurt. I am not saying everyone should get onboard with Jb & co, but they should at least have a tiny bit of faith in team.

The English watched the French Revolution from afar and said: "Oh. Dear."

I dont see it outside, much less on here. All i see and hear is negativity about the team. If you wanna talk about support, then lets talk Habs fans. Went to a couple games there last year and boy did my head hurt after i left Bell centre. Its LOUD in there, and theres constant cheering for the team going around. Its way louder than they show on tv. And then there is Rog. Its embarassing how they have annouce "make some noise", to get the crowd going. So no the team doesnt get support from us.

Did you see habs fans not too long ago when they were losing and out of the playoffs? Tons of negativity there. They were winning this season so of course had more reason to be positive. They're no different than us when their team is losing. Negativity galore in montreal during those times and fans dog piling on players. Remember the mayor even went after desharnais at one point.

Did you see habs fans not too long ago when they were losing and out of the playoffs? Tons of negativity there. They were winning this season so of course had more reason to be positive. They're no different than us when their team is losing. Negativity galore in montreal during those times and fans dog piling on players. Remember the mayor even went after desharnais at one point.

I agree with you but for us even when we are good,I just don't see that amount of craziness and dedication for the team here. Perhaps that's just me.On the other hand when Habs perform good, there is no other fan base crazier than them.Its actually infectious at times,how much they love their team. Respect them for that. but for the past few years the crowd has just been dull here. Now maybe that is reflective of the product on the ice. But if we give ourselves the right to call ourselves fans, we could be a little more supportive of the team. But again that's how I feel about this whole situation. In addition the media just knows how to troll the fans here which makes everything worse. Like someone mentioned the quote by Mark Twain" if you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. But if you do read the newspaper you are mis-informed"

I agree with you but for us even when we are good,I just don't see that amount of craziness and dedication for the team here. Perhaps that's just me.On the other hand when Habs perform good, there is no other fan base crazier than them.Its actually infectious at times,how much they love their team. Respect them for that. but for the past few years the crowd has just been dull here. Now maybe that is reflective of the product on the ice. But if we give ourselves the right to call ourselves fans, we could be a little more supportive of the team. But again that's how I feel about this whole situation. In addition the media just knows how to troll the fans here which makes everything worse. Like someone mentioned the quote by Mark Twain" if you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. But if you do read the newspaper you are mis-informed"

Well I agree, during the highs, montreal fans beat us and gm place is a library, but I think during the lows montreal is worse, especially the french media. They're vicious attacking players during the bad times. Here's a little taste of what montreal fans think of their media during the bad times.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=731338

Well I agree, during the highs, montreal fans beat us and gm place is a library, but I think during the lows montreal is worse, especially the french media. They're vicious attacking players during the bad times. Here's a little taste of what montreal fans think of their media during the bad times.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=731338

Media should really just be called trolls everywhere. They are just a bunch of self claimed experts, with no real knowledge and just baseless assumptions. Hopefully the culture in Van will soon change and the atmosphere at ROG will we more a party than a funeral.

Winnipeg has had the whitest, and now the newest. They are excited about their product returning to Winnipeg, but Vancouver's fans are still the best as they continue to support the team every year no matter what. CSE will continue to entertain the fans here every season regardless of who is considered the best or the worst fans, a completely subjective and dynamic determination.

If "support no matter what" is the metric we are using then Toronto wrecks us in that category. Awful team but still the most profitable team with the highest net worth. They still constantly sell out. They have so many fans there that they are thinking of bringing in a second team, all while being a bottom feeder, imagine how many fans theyd have if they were actual contenders. Contrast that with us and we've seen a large drop in attendance, season ticket holder renewals and most likely TV viewership after just one bad season where we missed the playoffs. If this team was as bad as Toronto for as long we'd probably be bleeding money like someone cut our carotid artery.

If "support no matter what" is the metric we are using then Toronto wrecks us in that category. Awful team but still the most profitable team with the highest net worth. They still constantly sell out. They have so many fans there that they are thinking of bringing in a second team, all while being a bottom feeder, imagine how many fans theyd have if they were actual contenders. Contrast that with us and we've seen a large drop in attendance, season ticket holder renewals and most likely TV viewership after just one bad season where we missed the playoffs. If this team was as bad as Toronto for as long we'd probably be bleeding money like someone cut our carotid artery.

Exactly this. Kudos. This city is not capable of handling bad seasons, and it's the truth. We haven't even been that bad. Just missed playoffs one year and the interest in the team has gone down. Imagine if we tank. We are gonna be the next Florida in a few years.

Passion from a fanbase is a wonderful thing, but if the players are relying on that passion to drive them on, then you've got the wrong players.

It's not like they're relying on us fans to show our passion. I think the players know that we are as passionate of a fanbase as any Canadian city there can be. However we don't show it by cheering on our players every single game. We show it through the interactions we have with players/management off the ice. It sucks we don't show our passion when we show up to games but that's just the way it is in this city.

My God this guy is even more annoying when I go through his Twitter. This is the type of fan that I hate. Guy thinks he's knows it all but only knows Canucks. Nothing else. Doesn't show any hockey knowledge.

Unforunately, when the Maple Leafs announced that they were tanking, the fans stopped selling out their arena, so it appears that support there is not without boundaries.

Still, MLSE is the most successful sport entertainment providing company in the country, and that is in large part due to their loyal fanbase. That wasn't in question. Both MLSE and CSE are successful though because of their fans. You don't become successful in that market without loyal fans.

I think you need to remember that the Maple Leafs very recently made the playoffs. They lost to Boston in round one in probably the most entertaining series in the past few years, but nobody was talking rebuild then, it was about improving. Then something happened and they lost their way. Their sudden decline is inexplicable, perhaps management? There was a series of bad deals done to secure their current status. It led to fans being frustrated and confused. Things that you hear our fanbase has become. But I'd like to think of it this way, ALL trades are good trades, because it adds to the entertainment value of the team. Fans in Canada LOVE trades. They love talking about trades and trade rumours. They also love to talk about contracts and signings. They even love to talk about lockouts and how rich owners and players are getting. They love being stoked by the media. They love tweeting on twitter. They love to go on the radio and rant. And of course they love to come to fan message boards to do the same. They love to do all these things and sports entertainment businesses have noticed. It's all part of the entertainment package that the fans are getting for their money.

MLSE and CSE are elite in terms of how they provide sports entertainment experiences. Sure, both teams may stumble along the way toward winning their next cup, but rest assured the entertainment value will be there regardless.

Unforunately, when the Maple Leafs announced that they were tanking, the fans stopped selling out their arena, so it appears that support there is not without boundaries.

Still, MLSE is the most successful sport entertainment providing company in the country, and that is in large part due to their loyal fanbase. That wasn't in question. Both MLSE and CSE are successful though because of their fans. You don't become successful in that market without loyal fans.

I think you need to remember that the Maple Leafs very recently made the playoffs. They lost to Boston in round one in probably the most entertaining series in the past few years, but nobody was talking rebuild then, it was about improving. Then something happened and they lost their way. Their sudden decline is inexplicable, perhaps management? There was a series of bad deals done to secure their current status. It led to fans being frustrated and confused. Things that you hear our fanbase has become. But I'd like to think of it this way, ALL trades are good trades, because it adds to the entertainment value of the team. Fans in Canada LOVE trades. They love talking about trades and trade rumours. They also love to talk about contracts and signings. They even love to talk about lockouts and how rich owners and players are getting. They love being stoked by the media. They love tweeting on twitter. They love to go on the radio and rant. And of course they love to come to fan message boards to do the same. They love to do all these things and sports entertainment businesses have noticed. It's all part of the entertainment package that the fans are getting for their money.

MLSE and CSE are elite in terms of how they provide sports entertainment experiences. Sure, both teams may stumble along the way toward winning their next cup, but rest assured the entertainment value will be there regardless.

Very recently? That was what, 3-4 years ago? Sudden decline? Toronto made the playoffs a single time in the last 10 seasons during a shortened season, many of those seasons they were within the bottom 3. This is not a sudden occurrence. They have been awful for a very long time. The fact that they still remained one of, if not, the most profitable NHL team(s) in each season during that entire period is a testament to how loyal their fans are. There is no way IMO we'd ever come remotely close to that level of loyalty in this fan base given the same circumstance.

Agreed, guy sounded arrogant. Heard him on tsn 1040 as well. He rambles on there and is just as annoying.

He sounded like a media stooge to me. I could just imagine Gallagher sitting there next to him whispering the questions in his ear.

Mind you we have hoards of them on CDC as well. Guys who read the papers, gulp it all down and come on here ready to whine for Canada.

You sir are brainwashed or delusional. We are going to start a rebuild the same season the twins retire in like 3 more years. Hang on folks it's going to be a rough long 10 years

No. You're insulting and you're dead wrong.

The roots of the rebuild go back to 2012 or 2013 when Gillis bought the Comets and traded Schneider to draft Horvat. We're full into it now. Its ALL about developing the young guys and building depth.

Im on board with Benning here. This team has lacked passion for a while. Dorsett was a great addition and you could easily see how much he meant to Horvat and Kennins. Now we get another guy like that in Prust and the idea of this season is that our young players still get to compete and can do it while having someone back you up. ZK wasnt that kind of player. hell be forever going back in fourth between weather hes a skilled forward or a bully. Prust knows his role, and thats a role the Canucks want more of on the roster.

I think the Canucks like last year will surprise many with how competitive they are. Horvat should take a step forward. Baert is a ?? but is a safe bet to create more offensive chances than Higgins in that top 6 role. Virt will add speed and physicality. D and G will be pretty much the same. Maybe a bit better without KB3 in the fold. THe Sedins will still be 65+ point getters. Vrbata will still score goals. I also think Miller will be much better having the chance to fully rehab his injury, and a full year in his new envorinment on and off the ice. Edler and Tanev might be even better. Hamhuis will be Hamhuis. Depending on whom he pairs with, could be better.

I think theyll be cutting bait with veterans reguardless of where they are in the playoff race, as there should be enough promotion ready players in Utica (Shink, Cassels, Grenier, Gaunce, Hutton, Pedan) to fill the gaps by the trade deadline.

Very recently? That was what, 3-4 years ago? Sudden decline? Toronto made the playoffs a single time in the last 10 seasons during a shortened season, many of those seasons they were within the bottom 3. This is not a sudden occurrence. They have been awful for a very long time. The fact that they still remained one of, if not, the most profitable NHL team(s) in each season during that entire period is a testament to how loyal their fans are. There is no way IMO we'd ever come remotely close to that level of loyalty in this fan base given the same circumstance.

Toronto made the playoffs in 2013. It is currently 2015. That is 2 years ago.

While the Maple Leafs seemed to be on the rise then, something happened quickly in those 2 years and they decided on a rebuild. This didn't really make any sense as they just signed their key core players to long-term deals, and they already had young players in the lineup, but at the end of the day the announcement of the rebuild was still welcome by their fans. The fans then proceeded to stop selling out their arena.

Vancouver has equally loyal fans, as they've watched their team go through a more legitimate need for a rebuilding process and the Canucks have faced only marginal declines in attendance.

At the end of the day, fans like winners or at least the hope of one, and that's why the Canucks are fully committed to making the playoffs every season. What Toronto does from here on out will be entertaining in it's own way as well, but as the most profitable sports entertainment business in the country, they know EXACTLY what they're doing. You don't have to worry about MLSE, CSE or their fans. There's no problem at all. Relax and get ready for the upcoming season.

I'd find it hard to argue we've been "good" fans since 2011. Some of that is due to not being sure if we are rebuilding or contending. The plan is actually neither. And that's why fans aren't 100% behind this team right now. We traded a young guy plus a pick for a 30 year old bottom 6 guy. Traded a good young-ish goalie and kept the 34 year old goalie.

We aren't a cup team, not quite a bottom feeder. Spinning our treads in the mud so to speak. We are going to need a bunch of homeruns from our drafting department with our not so good picks. This is also a good play on Benning's part to sell more tickets. "Need more passion from our fans in the stands." It'd be nice if more real fans could afford to go.

Archived