The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning makes the Connection.

Me_

Winnipeg has had the whitest, and now the newest. They are excited about their product returning to Winnipeg, but Vancouver's fans are still the best as they continue to support the team every year no matter what. CSE will continue to entertain the fans here every season regardless of who is considered the best or the worst fans, a completely subjective and dynamic determination.

Your posts seem different now. Did you stop drinking or something?

I complained all last year that the Canucks didn't have enough players who played with courage.

Our big guys -- Kassian and Matthias -- played like flyweights...Bieksa was a beaten down old warrior who was more heart than anything else (and unfortunately, that made him one dimensional).

You know you lack courage when the toughest guys on the team are the Sedins (and they're described as tough because of all the abuse they take and they keep playing on).

Glad to see that we have the toughest middleweights in the NHL in Prust and Dorsett...would be nice to supplement them with a couple of real heavyweights that can play the game.

Well I'm pretty positive Virtanen will be on the team. He will help them out quite a bit in the forechecking and hitting regard.

Kenins as well, and possibly Grenier/Gaunce.

Very recently? That was what, 3-4 years ago? Sudden decline? Toronto made the playoffs a single time in the last 10 seasons during a shortened season, many of those seasons they were within the bottom 3. This is not a sudden occurrence. They have been awful for a very long time. The fact that they still remained one of, if not, the most profitable NHL team(s) in each season during that entire period is a testament to how loyal their fans are. There is no way IMO we'd ever come remotely close to that level of loyalty in this fan base given the same circumstance.

Also consider the fact that the Leafs never lowered their ticket prices, rather increased it despite how poorly they were doing whereas last season, our ticket prices saw a decline in price yet we still couldn't sell out.

I for one am behind Benning and Linden. I believe we need to develop players better. Drafting is only half the battle. Also bringing in character players who play hard and can mentor the young guys is good, as well as making the playoffs every year. It gives the young players meaningful hockey to play in a competitive environment. I don't believe Horvat would be this far in his development if not for the playoff experience and competitive hockey he was in.

Finally, on the point of being mediocre every year and just the "one and done" while not being competitive for the cup, Detroit makes the playoffs every year and still develops the next wave of stars. The Canucks should model themselves after Detroit. I have believed this for a long time.

Benning and Linden keep with the plan, we will get there!

GO CANUCKS GO!

Well it's obvious Benning is trying to change the culture of the organization by trying to inject more passion, inspiration, energy, and emotion on the ice by bringing in Prust, locking up Dorsett, trading and drafting players with intangibles like character and leadership while slowly getting rid of players that don't fit this mould (Kassian, Matthias.) I totally agree with his philosophy because what I've seen from this club for a few years is a total abomination when it matters most. The team folds like a cheap suit and can't handle pressure or adversity. I'm glad the team is trending in this direction because what I saw against Calgary was a bunch of uninspired, emotionally frail, old, slow, joke of a team who didn't know how to deal with a much hungrier team.

I know what you're saying...however, we still have players on the team that play that way and are older and slower...when you realise the Canucks can't score, then the character thing will get a little tiring. What we need is young, fast, strong and skilled players.

Follow the model of the world championship team this year...young, fast, skilled and tough. They dominated.

Benning has inherited a team that is getting older and it will take another year to see what he really can do...I hope he can match the hype.

Benning - I don't want our young players to get picked on this year. I want them to go out, to be able to play, and feel comfortable and with Dorsett and Prust in the lineup, they're going to create a safe working environment for our young player"

I never heard the interview, but reading about it, It seems they a legit question regarding the money spent on the 4th line (What happens when the contracts are up for 1,2 and 3rd lines) ?

I myself don't 100% agree with Bennings statement

The League has rules to protect the Players

Chicago won a cup without high priced "tough" guys

The Bruins and Benning only won 1 cup with that formula, and it will be years before that formula comes back (if at all, with less hitting and players safety being more prominent now)

You just need team toughness players standing up for each other

Sbisa and Dorsett were on against Ferland (as Benning referred too), Yet those two didn't stop him and were still rewarded very nicely with a raise - (So why did he do that then) and now he needs more ?

Are we sacrificing speed for toughness now?

I would like to see a nice balance myself

I am for the skill and toughness and make them pay when you get a pp,

Good analysis. In the last 20 years there have been 4 teams with multiple Cups: Chicago, Detroit, LA, New Jersey. While those teams were not pushovers physically, they were not particularly tough either.

And I see Boston's 2011 win as due much more to due to a goalie (Tim Thomas) who probably had the best year in the history of the NHL (at least up to that point) than to toughness.

Well I'm pretty positive Virtanen will be on the team. He will help them out quite a bit in the forechecking and hitting regard.

Kenins as well, and possibly Grenier/Gaunce.

I watched Virtanen play for the hitman...even in junior, he played only when he wanted to...a lot of times, he was invisible.

I don't think he is ready to take the step yet...give him a year in the AHL with coach Green.

The Connection. The connection between fan and team that creates that extra energy and emotion needed to win the Cup. Like Boston against the Canucks. Never have I seen such a rally of fans in hockey as in Boston in 2011. Boston wins that battle by far. It is that battle that could not have been won in Vancouver.

Not one team could have won against that barrage of yellow and black waiving rabbid alliance between team, fandom and media that eventually got to our own Canadian icon Don Cherry. The war was already over when the Canucks fought that last battle; deflated, tails between their legs like wet cats at the end of a storm. The Canucks' fate was sealed in part because of one 23 year old player named Brad Marchand.

Don't agree with this statement at all. Did you not see on television the legions of Vancouver Canucks fans lined up downtown for every home game supporting the team. Downtown Boston never looked like that, not even close. I'd say that's a battle Vancouver fans won by such a wide margin over Boston. Canuck fans were also pretty loud in Games 1,2 and 5. Maybe the only reason it seemed Boston was loud and rowdy at home was because Luongo imploded and allowed 15 goals in 5.5 periods of play in their building and they knew they were going to win no matter what.

Toronto made the playoffs in 2013. It is currently 2015. That is 2 years ago.

While the Maple Leafs seemed to be on the rise then, something happened quickly in those 2 years and they decided on a rebuild. This didn't really make any sense as they just signed their key core players to long-term deals, and they already had young players in the lineup, but at the end of the day the announcement of the rebuild was still welcome by their fans. The fans then proceeded to stop selling out their arena.

Vancouver has equally loyal fans, as they've watched their team go through a more legitimate need for a rebuilding process and the Canucks have faced only marginal declines in attendance.

At the end of the day, fans like winners or at least the hope of one, and that's why the Canucks are fully committed to making the playoffs every season. What Toronto does from here on out will be entertaining in it's own way as well, but as the most profitable sports entertainment business in the country, they know EXACTLY what they're doing. You don't have to worry about MLSE, CSE or their fans. There's no problem at all. Relax and get ready for the upcoming season.

I dont think many people actually thought they were truly on the rise though. Sure maybe the ridiculously biased media did, and maybe many Toronto fans wishfully thought so, but I think most at the time (at least that I talked to) realized it was fluky at best. They proceeded to prove exactly how strong of a team they were the following seasons.

Toronto still average over 98% attendance over the season while tanking, more than us, and we made the playoffs and had a pretty exciting season, at least in contrast to last one.

Toronto essentially is the opposite to us as far as success goes, making the playoffs once in the last decade compared to us missing once in the last 7 or so, and still makes more money, has higher fan support and attendance (they even averaged equal attendance in our cup run prime year 2011). Our large hit to attendance, profit and probably TV viewership in just a single, solitary, losing season, proves our fan loyalty is not on their level. If we were to tank or suck as long as them, we'd likely slip into obscurity in Vancouver.

I dont think many people actually thought they were truly on the rise though. Sure maybe the ridiculously biased media did, and maybe many Toronto fans wishfully thought so, but I think most at the time (at least that I talked to) realized it was fluky at best. They proceeded to prove exactly how strong of a team they were the following seasons.

Toronto still average over 98% attendance over the season while tanking, more than us, and we made the playoffs and had a pretty exciting season, at least in contrast to last one.

Toronto essentially is the opposite to us as far as success goes, making the playoffs once in the last decade compared to us missing once in the last 7 or so, and still makes more money, has higher fan support and attendance (they even averaged equal attendance in our cup run prime year 2011). Our large hit to attendance, profit and probably TV viewership in just a single, solitary, losing season, proves our fan loyalty is not on their level. If we were to tank or suck as long as them, we'd likely slip into obscurity in Vancouver.

Exactly. Thank you.

I respect this post.

I respect the loyalty and passion of the Toronto fans you speak to even more!

Doesn't mean we should cater to ''fans'' who can only support the team if we dump guys they have given up on? To give ''them'' a McDavid instead of a team that plays for them!

Frack, Toronto supported its team even though it had fat Kessel? That's impressive!

I respect this post.

I respect the loyalty and passion of the Toronto fans you speak to even more!

Doesn't mean we should cater to ''fans'' who can only support the team if we dump guys they have given up on? To give ''them'' a McDavid instead of a team that plays for them!

Frack, Toronto supported its team even though it had fat Kessel? That's impressive!

There is a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. Canucks fans had terrible years in the Messier days and they had the even worse Vancouver Grizzlies around that time.

For many fans those days stand out in our mind and so we refuse to waste our time with a team that's total garbage.

Also once you reach the finals its like tasting Belgian chocolate from Belgium. Feed the fans some plastic tasting crap from Nestle and they know the difference. Toronto fans have been fed coffee crisps for so long that they don't know any better.

Benning - I don't want our young players to get picked on this year. I want them to go out, to be able to play, and feel comfortable and with Dorsett and Prust in the lineup, they're going to create a safe working environment for our young player"

I never heard the interview, but reading about it, It seems they a legit question regarding the money spent on the 4th line (What happens when the contracts are up for 1,2 and 3rd lines) ?

The Bruins and Benning only won 1 cup with that formula, and it will be years before that formula comes back (if at all, with less hitting and players safety being more prominent now)

Sbisa and Dorsett were on against Ferland (as Benning referred too), Yet those two didn't stop him and were still rewarded very nicely with a raise - (So why did he do that then) and now he needs more ?

agreed on those points

Burish, Eager, Byflugien say hi.

Toews, Kane, Keith, and Sharp would not have developed the same without those tough guys to protect them. It was once Chicagos young stars grew up that the team was comfortable getting rid of them.

Burish, Eager, Byflugien say hi.

Toews, Kane, Keith, and Sharp would not have developed the same without those tough guys to protect them. It was once Chicagos young stars grew up that the team was comfortable getting rid of them.

How that works, though, is through intimidation.

A player about to run Keith back then for example had to decide if it's worth getting pounded on by big Buff. If you are not hurt, you'll be emberrassed at least. Not worth it unless you are a superheavyweight

Now a player running Tanev is more likely to think it's worth it as a fight with Prust will end up a draw at worst. Prust is only 190 or so pounds. He's not scaring anyone. A guy like Lucic would merrily run any of our guys and tune Prust or Dorsett and give his team a double boost (one for the hit, one for the fight)

I don't agree with your post - but I think it was still well-written.

Sbisa and Dorsett - for example.

I think both of them were intimidated by one guy - Ferland. Ferland did his job.

If the team has a better cast of support players, we might do better in the same type of series.

The CANUCKS do NOT have the best fans in the NHL. Whoever thinks that must like DEAD SILENCE in the building because that is what we have. I cheer my guts out and when I get told to be quiet I just make more noise.

Unfortunately we have a handful of great fans. Try going to a game in the Peg, that's where U will see and hear REAL FANS. They cheer their team on win or lose.

I remember going to Madison Square Gardens to see the Rangers play the Canadians on December 30th - a very long time ago (either 2004 or 2005). There was a 70 year old Asian lady sitting next to me and I took a video of her cheering. I asked her to come to Vancouver to lead our fans and show them what being a fan really is. I didn't even have to make any noise in that building - I just smiled from ear to ear and felt so alive and I didn't care who won as long as I saw goals.

I wish we could bring the Utica fans into our building! Those are real fans . . .

The CANUCKS do NOT have the best fans in the NHL. Whoever thinks that must like DEAD SILENCE in the building because that is what we have. I cheer my guts out and when I get told to be quiet I just make more noise.

Unfortunately we have a handful of great fans. Try going to a game in the Peg, that's where U will see and hear REAL FANS. They cheer their team on win or lose.

I remember going to Madison Square Gardens to see the Rangers play the Canadians on December 30th - a very long time ago (either 2004 or 2005). There was a 70 year old Asian lady sitting next to me and I took a video of her cheering. I asked her to come to Vancouver to lead our fans and show them what being a fan really is. I didn't even have to make any noise in that building - I just smiled from ear to ear and felt so alive and I didn't care who won as long as I saw goals.

I wish we could bring the Utica fans into our building! Those are real fans . . .

From what I have noticed from my experiences at the games I have gone to is the bottom bowl is especially quiet and I think part of that is a lot of the fans that sit down there are the high roller fans who either have bought there season tickets more for the status of saying they own season tickets and are the sort that show up for part of the game and leave or there bought by businesses that they hand out to potential clients or employees that are not necessarily even fans

The prices have gotten so outta hand that a lot of blue collar beer drinking noise making fans can't really afford to go anymore and if they can it's maybe one game a year

I don't agree with your post - but I think it was still well-written.

Sbisa and Dorsett - for example.

I think both of them were intimidated by one guy - Ferland. Ferland did his job.

If the team has a better cast of support players, we might do better in the same type of series.

It looks like we do agree somewhat

You state Sbisa and Dorsett were intimidated by Ferland , It puzzled me why they (and everyone else stood idle and watched it happen)

Yet, he is only 1 guy, Bieska was taking the brunt of his charges and standing up to him, (and know he is gone)

Where was the character we just invested heavily for these two?

I don't recall seeing any payback on him

I am sure Bieska would have appreciated having more guys tire him out. 3 against 1, with those 2 you mentioned

I do like the potential for guys like Virtanen and others

I hate the Canucks getting pushed around myself, but, a good balance of speed, skill and toughness will back them off

Taking penalties shouldn't always be the answer, pick your battles and know which one would hurt them the most. .

I just hope Benning doesn't use the Boston model as his blueprint -even Boston must know it was lucky to get to the final that year and then win it, and have since dismantled that team and are trying a new plan now

Archived