The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Off season-Deadline-Draft/UFA

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Benning can't wait the five years it will take for defensive prospects to emerge. He will need to make a significant trade to help change the overall makeup of the defense. Either Tanev or Edler must be traded to make this happen as they both hold the highest value from the defensive core, but both lack the physicality and/or offensive flair necessary for a top pair to possess to compete in the West. Nothing personal against either player, as they do have solid TOI and possession numbers, but to try to pretend that they are leaders for an emerging d-core is pure folly.

And any forward group that has Burrows and Higgins in it, is bound for failure. Those players, along with Vrbata, Prust, and Dorsett have shown nothing in the way of character or urgency on the ice, in any way, shape, or form.

And Ladd has rode the coattails of the two Cups long enough, he's no difference maker. Especially at the price he's looking for. Not thank you sir.

I'm thinking it would take Tanev plus Horvat to get an elite D, who is just entering his prime.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I guess Benning's sticker shock at what Hamonic would cost outweighed his shock at how ineffective this team has become.

Oh well.

How long before Hamonic starts insisting on a trade?  That might bring that sticker price down to where JB buys.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How long before Hamonic starts insisting on a trade?  That might bring that sticker price down to where JB buys.

From what I have heard, he's not pushing the issue at this point. I think that he'll probably be with the team until the trade deadline. Maybe even on July 1st.

I think the trade deadline and 2016 Draft is going to be where we truly judge Benning. He was brought in with a 3 year plan, this is it. This is where he makes his money.

At the deadline, we could be a complete bottom feeder or very possibly still in the playoff hunt once Hamhuis and Sutter/Sbisa return from injury. I believe we'll still be a few points away from that 3rd Pacific division spot. Assuming that, I don't want to be a seller - we should gun hard for the playoffs, get the kids playoff experience (in particular, Horvat, Hutton and McCann if Virtanen's back to the WHL) and at the same time get a top-15 to even top-10 pick which is very likely. That's the gold standard.

Trade Deadline:

Hamonic still wants to be moved, time is ticking, he's been there almost a year after he asked to be traded, hopefully Benning can force Snow's hand with this:

Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd (+/- B-grade prospect like Pedan, Grenier) for Hamonic

I've heard a lot of beef about the value of this deal but I think it's fair. NYI want a top-4 defenceman in return, Hamhuis is definately still a top-4 defenceman. Because he's a UFA at the end of the season and a bit older, we have to add value. Higgins is still good for a 3rd line grinder and penalty killer. Most importantly, both guys have a lot of playoff experience which is something the Islanders lack, and would want if they're making a Cup run. The 2nd round pick will be a high one, almost a late 1st, which is included to account for the loss of future potential of Hamonic. That's a LOT of value going back for Hamonic which is the best deal he's going to get. The Jets were only prepared to give up Byfuglien straight up which was rumoured to be rejected by NYI.

As badly as everyone wants Vbrata traded, if we can't get a top-20 pick in the draft I'd be happy to keep him on for the playoffs if he heats up around then. Otherwise, straight up to PIT/MTL for a 1st would be nice but they'll be later picks and we lose a bit of depth at forward obviously. Unless we can swindle a Vbrata PLUS trade for a young defenceman, I'd sit on him.

We go into the home stretch and hopefully playoffs with these lines:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Vbrata

Dorsett - Horvat - Burrows

Gaunce - McCann - Prust

Shinkaruk

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Hamonic

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Biega

Not a great lineup, but if we're in we're facing the 2nd or 3rd Pacific team who are hopeless and we have a pretty good record inside our division. Wouldn't be surprised if that lineup makes it to the 2nd round (and then gets slaughtered in a sweep). Regardless, that's fantastic playoff experience for the young kids, especially Horvat, Hutton, McCann, Gaunce and Shinkaruk. THATS how you transition your young guys in.

2016 Draft:

This is where JB can shape his team to however he pleases, but I really hope he pays attention to our defence. We'll have about 7 or even 8 picks this Draft, the only way we're fixing this crap-shoot of a team is if JB drafts at least 4 defencemen if not 5. 10-13 of the top-30 picks are projected to be A-grade defensive prospects, we have to use our 1st rounder on one. It would be idiotic to draft another winger and we've got plenty of good two-way and skilled centers. Defence is the key to this draft.

I firmly believe we can fix this team with the 1 Hamonic trade (or similar trade for a young top-4 defenceman: it'd be a big one though) + draft defencemen in the first and second rounds + a couple of UFA signings.

In terms of UFAs, we should let Vbrata walk, let Weber go, re-sign Baertschi and only keep one of Dorsett or Prust. Prust's contract expires so it's easier to let him go and keep Dorsett, otherwise we need to trade Dorsett and sign Prust. Either way, we only need one of them. Shinkaruk and Gaunce are NHL ready, they will prove that once Virtanen gets sent back to the WHL and in the playoff run, and next season they'll be able to contribute.

Our needs at free agency are then 1 top-6 winger and another defenceman, whether he be top-4 or depth. We'll have around 15M to play with as well.

1) Top-6 wingers: Lucic, Ladd, Okposo....there's quite a few good strong wingers out there who would be ideal candidates for the Sedins' line. Looks like Ladd is almost locked up, but there are plenty more guys of lesser degree who could play with the Sedins and who wouldn't want to. Offer Lucic his dream 6-7M deal, we've got the money, we've got the incentive (playing with the best passers in the world) and we've got the hometown bonus. As much as I hate Lucic, he'd be a good fit here, but so would Okposo or just about any of the other UFA wingers.

2) Defencemen: With Hamonic in the picture we don't desperately need to splash out on a top defenceman, but of course Yandle would  be lovely and turn this defence around in a heartbeat (Yandle-Hamonic, Edler-Tanev, Hutton-Sbisa is about a good a defence in the West as they come). Don't see Benning being that willing to spend 8M on Yandle, even if we've got the money, which is why I think he'll settle for a depth UFA defenceman. Keep Bartkowski around, he's been a brilliant injury fill-in.

2016-2017 Starting Lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Lucic

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Shinkaruk - McCann - Hansen

Gaunce - Horvat - Dorsett

Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Hamonic

Sbisa - UFA

Bartkowski

Archived