The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On-Line Backlash over Marisa Tomei cast as Aunt May in new Spiderman

the last outlaw

Spidey is gonna be hot for Aunt May and not poor MJ :picard::lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/09/marisa-tomei-spider-man-aunt-too-hot-twitter-backlash

aunt_zpsos12txgu.jpeg

Comic book fans have taken to Twitter in protest after it was revealed that Oscar-winner Marisa Tomei is in line to star as Spider-Mans elderly relative Aunt May in the latest big-screen reboot to feature the webslinging superhero.

According to some complaints, Tomei, 50, is just too young and attractive to portray the character who was played in Sam Raimis 2002 film Spider-Man by the then 74-year-old Rosemary Harris, and by a 66-year-old Sally Field in 2012s The Amazing Spider-Man. Others argued more seriously that the casting was a byproduct of Hollywoods negative attitude towards age.

Tomei was named as the new Aunt May by the Hollywood Reporter and is said to be in final negotiations for the role. She would star opposite new Spider-Man Tom Holland, at 19 by far the youngest actor to take on the role. Clown director Jon Watts is taking charge of the film, the first to be part of the wider Marvel cinematic universe, despite rival studio Sony also retaining an interest.

May Parker is generally depicted in the original Spider-Man comics as an elderly, grey or white-haired pensioner, widow of Ben Parker, who acts as Spider-Mans moral compass and is also one of the reasons he maintains his secret identity. However, various comic book and television Spider-Man stories have made Aunt May a younger, more active participant in Peter Parkers adventures. In the Ultimate Marvel version, she is a strong and independent woman in her late forties or early fifties.

Some Twitter users pointed out that, with Sony and Marvel taking Spider-Man back to high school, an aunt in middle age makes more sense than one in her 60s or 70s. According to reports, Tomei will first appear as Aunt May, alongside Holland as the wallcrawler, in next years Captain America: Civil War.

Superhero Feed @SuperheroFeed

Aunt May is... Um, never thought I'd say this. But... Aunt May is kind of.... Someone say it for me dammit.

11:26 AM - 8 Jul 2015

Jonathan Korman @miniver

I am not okay with being sexually aroused by Peter Parker's Aunt May

1332048819555403043.jpg

DanaMAdams (@DanaMAdams)

July 9, 2015

LOVE @marisatomei But seriously @Marvel?! Could we be more sexist & ageist? Aunt May looks like this. #Spiderman pic.twitter.com/2gkf5OhzeJ

Blue Coyote @1031Arctic

Aunt May was usually too old in the comics to be Peter's real aunt (Great-Aunt, yes). Marisa Tomei would be the right age in reality.

12:22 PM - 8 Jul 2015

Bitch Pack @BiatchPack

Love Marissa Tomei- just seeing her cast as Aunt May is weird. I want to see her in bigger, lead roles

Marquette Jones @Marquette_Jones

@BiatchPack: Love Marissa Tomei- just seeing her cast as Aunt May is weird. I want to see her in bigger, lead roles exactly. Me too!

Well, it's not about a younger Aunt May being the more appropriate age for an aunt. Ben Parker is much older than his younger brother so of course his wife should be pretty old too. I don't have a major problem with this.

But they should really take this chance and turn Aunt May into a much more badass character, and one who knows Peter's secret. If she's not going to be an old granny she better not act like one. I actually liked what they did with Lois Lane in Man of Steel. She's older than Superman, and is smart to figure out who he is right away.

I have officially lived through

6 Batmans

4 Supermans

3 Spidermans

3 Jokers

2 Captain Americas

2 Charles Xaviers

2 Bilbo Baggins'

and 2 entirely different sets of Ninja turtles

I....am so disappointed in Hollywood right now

I loved it, but then again I'm a massive Spiderman fan so I'd love it just based off setting and story alone.

Same

I love every single Spider-Man movie made so far, also after looking at some recent pics of Marisa Tomei she's looking pretty old. I could see it working as her being Aunt May, especially if Spidey is in high school.

Same

I love every single Spider-Man movie made so far, also after looking at some recent pics of Marisa Tomei she's looking pretty old. I could see it working as her being Aunt May, especially if Spidey is in high school.

Yeah, I loved them all too. I really want to see some new story lines and villains though, cause every time they reboot the series they seem to do the same ones. There is plenty of great ones they still havent done in cinema.

Yeah the age of Spidey will definitely help determine whether her age is off or not, and by how much.

Archived