The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Franchise Faceoff: Bure vs Esposito

M A K A V E L I 96

Depends on how you look at the stats. Bure has a higher goals per game, while playing in a lower scoring era. Most of Esposito's goals were from standing in front of the net and shoveling them in. Bure had to create most of his offense on his own and didn't play with the same quality of linemates as Esposito.

This is a deceiving stat as far as I'm concerned. Bure's career ended early. Would his points per game be as high had he played a full career into his declining years as so many greats did? Likely not. Think what Gretzky's points per game would have been had he hung them up at 31. Bure had 779 points in 702 games. Had Gretzky packed it in at the same age as Bure he would have been at 2263 points in 1151 games. Yowza!

Btw, '91 to '96 was very high scoring. There were 14 50 goal scorers in the 92/93 season. The most in NHL history. In the 80's 9 was peak in the '84/85 season.

But to answer the op, having seen both play, I have to say Esposito. He did it all as a player. Hitting, fighting, playmaker, and scorer. He didn't have the same flash but he was a complete star.

if Bure played in Espo days he would skate circles around everyone. no one would stop him. If expo played in Bures days he wouldn't have the stats that he had. 5 Bures against 5 Espos on the ice would be a complete slaughter for Bure. Bure wins

Bure won the vote, but TSN decided to let Esposito move to the next round because they can overturn fan results if they don't like the outcome.

hold the phone here because i cant see it.

Your telling me tsn overturned the bure vs Esposito ruling but let mcdavid win over crosby? REALLY?

I understand this isnt a huge deal but people wonder why canuck fans are so upset all the time. No one will net us win a goddam thing. Its ridiculous. Not once have we ever got the benefit of the doubt.

Esposito and this is not even close.

Esposito held the record for goals and points in a season. He was literally the best scorer ever until Wayne Gretzky appeared. First player to score 150 points in a season.

On top of this, he had longevity on Bure, who had a Lindros-like career, cut short.

Bure was never a threat to set any single season records.

He was an amazing player, but he got stacked up against one of the absolute top candidates from all of hockey history.

This one is a no-brainer.

Archived