The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

The Comets schedule came out today. The move from the Western to the Eastern Conference will really help with a reduction in travel and increased practice time. Brendan Burke makes a nice point here.

#Comets hotel nights:

2013-14: 35

2014-15: 30

2015-16: 21 (eight alone visiting @IceCapsAHL).

By my count @checkershockey has 18+ in OCT.

webschedule1400.jpg

Bachman should be able to carry the team aswell, he did a good job of it in Oklahoma. He was the reason we didn't sweep them, he made some big saves. Very interested to see how this season plays out, like you you said, I'm excited to see some prospects to get pushed to the next level. We will see who is a sinker or who is a swimmer.

He's exactly the guy Utica is gonna need this year. Made the West All-star team last year and his play at the end of last year and into the playoffs was outstanding. If we didn't have Markstrom backing us up in that 2nd round, we probably don't make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs.

The Comets schedule came out today. The move from the Western to the Eastern Conference will really help with a reduction in travel and increased practice time. Brendan Burke makes a nice point here.

#Comets hotel nights:

2013-14: 35

2014-15: 30

2015-16: 21 (eight alone visiting @IceCapsAHL).

By my count @checkershockey has 18+ in OCT.

webschedule1400.jpg

Woah, 21 'hotel nights' is damn near nothing. I guess most of the cities are close enough to drive back on the same night. I only see 14 teams listed? I thought they played out of conference more.

Woah, 21 'hotel nights' is damn near nothing. I guess most of the cities are close enough to drive back on the same night. I only see 14 teams listed? I thought they played out of conference more.

St. John's and Portland, Maine are the only two cities that will require hotel stays due to distance alone. The other hotel nights will be when they play different teams on back-to-back nights in New England and Pennsylvania. Most teams in the Eastern Conference will be less than a four hour bus ride and the four other NY teams range from 45 minutes to 2 hours.

All 76 games will be within the Eastern Conference and they will play every team in the conference. With the realignment in the AHL, Rochester and Toronto also moved from the West to the East.

Oh I have little doubt that, as Deniro posted, the start of their season will have some bumps or 'learning curve' as you put it. There's a lot of fresh blood coming in.

But Bachman should continue to give them solid goal tending and Hutton/Subban should replace Bo-Sang's production. You've also got a year older Shink who's not coming off an injury, has had a full off season to train and towards the end of last year really started to put it together at this level. Add a year older Gaunce and I'm especially excited to see how Cassels does at this level as well.

I don't think it's all that scary. I'm far more excited than scared personally.

Fully agree...really looking forward to following the young kids grow

• 2 weeks later...

Man that young stars tournament is promising. Use the original Oilers model and let them grow up together and dominate when it's their time. Oilers came up together in the 80's and not a big enough deal is made about it. It's the reason Detroit players seem to come out of nowhere. They don't, they just develop within the system and become good players.

Why wouldn't you want every prospect available to go to France this year and bond like they never could otherwise. It'll be an amazing experience and it's a path to a better Canucks team in the future.

I hope the Comets keep Fox, Blomstrand and McEneny up as well.

-Forward:

Fox

Valk

Blomstrand

Projected Roster:

Shinkaruk - Jones - Grenier

Gaunce - Friesen - Jensen

Valk -Cassels - Zalewski

Labate - Hamilton - Bancks

Fox and Blomstrand

Pedan - Biega

Fedun - Subban

Cederholm - Sautner

Negrin and McEneny

Bachman

Cannata

After watching the Young Stars tournament, I kind of would like to see Cederholm, Sautner and Labate in the ECHL. I think they all need a bit of time, Cederholm being the first person up as soon as there's an injury on defense. They really didn't impress me.

A couple of nice tables from this article. http://canucksarmy.com/2015/9/14/comets-may-shift-to-the-other-extreme-of-the-compete-vs-develop-scale-this-year

I don't agree with this lineup the way it's laid out, but those are the players at least. There's definitely lots of turnover and players are going to have to step up and replace the point producers that are leaving, but it looks like a great mix of youth and experience.

In comparison to the roster of '13-'14 that barely missed the playoffs that season , this team looks as good or better. There's tons of skill from Canucks prospects with lots to prove.

article_70d41c7e-3009-4e7d-b1df-eef08857

article_23dd53e9-a649-4074-805c-b7cf7fd3

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today (Sep. 22) that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by 12 players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Anton Cederholm D
Dane Fox C
Evan McEneny D
Ashton Sautner D
Mackenze Stewart F
Jordan Subban D

The following players have been released and will attend the Utica Comets Training Camp:

Travis Ehrhardt D
John Kurtz LW
Clay Witt G
Mike Zalewski LW

According to the Utica local newspaper, "the Comets leave for Lyon, France, for training camp with the Syracuse Crunch at the end of the month. The Comets will play three games in France before returning to Utica in preparation for the start of the regular season." This is the link http://www.uticaod.com/article/20150922/NEWS/150929783

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today (Sep. 22) that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by 12 players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Anton Cederholm D

Dane Fox C

Evan McEneny D

Ashton Sautner D

Mackenze Stewart F

Jordan Subban D

The following players have been released and will attend the Utica Comets Training Camp:

Travis Ehrhardt D

John Kurtz LW

Clay Witt G

Mike Zalewski LW

I really thought Fox had a good camp. He should make Utica, right?

The Utica web site finally provided some info about the coming trip to France:

Tue., Sept. 29 – Arrive in Lyon, France
Thurs., Oct. 1 – Comets vs. Crunch – 2:30pm ET at Patinoire Charlemagne Arena, Lyon
Fri., Oct. 2 – Comets vs. Crunch – 2:30pm ET at Patinoire Charlemagne Arena, Lyon
Sun., Oct. 4 – Comets vs. Dragons de Rouen – 12:30 p.m. ET at Patinoire Charlemagne Arena, Lyon
Tue., Oct. 6 – Return to Utica

So that confirms the game info posted by me a week ago.

Archived