The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Think the Cold War is Over? Think again. Russia and US gearing up for new nuclear missle testing.

BanTSN

Looks like someone was fed his daily western propaganda dinner..

Putin is doing exactly what the U.S. has done in the past/still does..

Both are waging proxy wars, both have annexed territories (Crimea for Russia and Hawaii for the U.S.), and both are testing nuclear weapons.

I doubt either will drop the first bomb..

The first bomb will be dropped in the future by some rogue country in the Middle East (Israel) OR one of India, Pakistan, and China

Umm... Hawaii was annexed in 1898... I don't know how that's comparable.

Umm... Hawaii was annexed in 1898... I don't know how that's comparable.

I was waiting for someone to call me out on that analogy..

Doesn't matter if it was annexed today or 100's of years ago the fact of the matter it was annexed..

So if the U.S. wants to sanction and pressure Russia over Criema how about they give back Hawaii to the native Hawaiians?

Oh wait that will never happen..

If you ask them for why they annexed Hawaii it would be the same reason as the Russians.. To protect national interests.

Doesn't matter if it was annexed today or 100's of years ago the fact of the matter it was annexed..

So if the U.S. wants to sanction and pressure Russia over Criema how about they give back Hawaii to the native Hawaiians?

If you ask them for why they annexed Hawaii it would be the same reason as the Russians.. To protect national interests.

Then why stop at a hundred years? There's a whole lot of annexation that has taken place in the last millennium. Let's fix it all!

Putin is being expansionist NOW, so it should be dealt with NOW.

Is it wrong for the US, UK, Italy, Greece, Egypt (and so many other countries) to claim slavery is bad??? They all participated in it in their history. But I guess since it was only a little over a hundred years ago for UK/US, then with your logic then UK/US cannot criticize anyone practicing slavery today.

Then why stop at a hundred years? There's a whole lot of annexation that has taken place in the last millennium. Let's fix it all!

Putin is being expansionist NOW, so it should be dealt with NOW.

Is it wrong for the US, UK, Italy, Greece, Egypt (and so many other countries) to claim slavery is bad??? They all participated in it in their history. But I guess since it was only a little over a hundred years ago for UK/US, then with your logic then UK/US cannot criticize anyone practicing slavery today.

First off that would only make sense if the UK/US were still practicing slavery and criticizing other nations...

The USA still controls Hawaii yet they are being the moral authority over Russia..

There's a difference between annexation and colonialism..

My point being is both countries in the past and present have done essentially the same things that they're accusing each other of.

Of course further expansion by Russia should be halted by all means as it's clear they want to create an empire again, but it also helps to looks at ones face (west) in the mirror once in awhile..

Russia is a capitalistic and conservative society so there's no excuse of using Cold War style fearmongering as they aren't commies anymore!

First off that would only make sense if the UK/US were still practicing slavery and criticizing other nations...

The USA still controls Hawaii yet they are being the moral authority over Russia..

There's a difference between annexation and colonialism..

My point being is both countries in the past and present have done essentially the same things that they're accusing each other of.

Of course further expansion by Russia should be halted by all means as it's clear they want to create an empire again, but it also helps to looks at ones face (west) in the mirror once in awhile..

Russia is a capitalistic and conservative society so there's no excuse of using Cold War style fearmongering as they aren't commies anymore!

Except that Hawaii is now an official part of the US, by their own choosing, and the US is not continuing to practice annexation. Since the annexation, Hawaiians voted overwhelmingly to join the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Admission_Act

One can easily argue that the action of annexation was wrong. And, I'll grant you that the election came many years after the annexation, so if people were asked to vote closer to the annexation, the results could have been drastically different.

But I still think my slavery example here is valid given that Hawaii is now a state, by Hawaiians choosing. And, my guess is that they would not accept secession from the US at this point.

The US is not practicing annexation or slavery at this time. There are some societies that are practicing slavery today, and the US should and in many cases does condemn those that are practicing it, despite America having some history of slavery. Therefore, their condemnation of Putin's expansion should be loud and strong, despite what hypocrisy you feel is involved.

(Edited to correct a typo)

So you're saying the Russians are acting to the acceptable standard of the nineteenth century?

It just bugs me so much when I hear the phrase "cold war" applied to Russia's relations with the west today.

The Cold War was an IDEOLOGICAL dispute. Communists and Capitalists both believed that their ideology was right and correct, and destined to spread across the globe. That dispute is clearly resolved in favor of capitalism. China is the only major "second-world" state remaining, and their nation's success today is directly correlated to their government's willingness to embrace market principles and jettison hard-line Marxist thinking.

What Russia's doing now is just ("just") great-power rivalry stuff. There's no ideological element to the rift over the Ukraine, or Syria. Not to say it's not serious but it's limited in scope. The issues involved are strictly realpolitik. It doesn't come down to systems of government or economic ideology. Russia may be more corrupt and less efficient, their political system may be dirtier, their actions more brazen, but there's no "Red Dawn" scenario here. Are the Russians gonna invade Texas and force us all to believe...what, the importance of bribing all our public officials anytime we want anything done?

The Cold War was a contrived contest between two factions that were backed by the Western banking elite.

The current situation involves a rebellion against the Western bank order by Eurasia and the BRICS countries.

I'd say there was more of an ideological element this time around than there was against the controlled opposition of the Cold War Communist Bloc.

Hawaii after annexation voted to join the US, didn't part of Ukraine have a vote about joining Russia?

The Ukraine voted in referendum for independence when the Soviet Bloc fell. It's been political football, corruption, and violence since late 2013 when the Ukraine has distanced itself from joining the EU and becoming closer to the Russian Federation.

Archived