The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks roll 4 forward lines in 2015-16?

tyhee

This coming season's roster, so far, looks something like what follows, the important part of my point being the 4th line.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

(+ Kenins)

I agree this looks like the most likely line-up. Virtanen might make the team, but I hope he doesn't it is better for his development to go back to junior.

What I question is if Prust and Dorsett will be on the fourth line. Obviously from a skill prospective they are fourth liners, but Benning did mention a few times that he brought them in as bodyguard type players for the young guys. The question becomes will Benning and WD put them on better lines so they can be on the ice with Horvat and Baertschi? I hope not, Horvat's production was much better when Dorsett left his line. That is a very old school mentality to have an "enforcer" playing with a young skilled guy.

Virtanen could definitely use a look in the top 6 assuming he makes the team. Yes, we have Baertschi who might be getting that 2nd line left wing spot, but I'd be very intrigued in having Virtanen there to see how he plays with the likes of Boner and Burrows or Vrbata.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Virtanen/Bonino/Burrows

Baertschi/Horvat/Kenins(Higgins, Hansen)

Prust/Vey/Dorsett

This is the line-up I think the Canucks are going to end up come October assuming if either Higgins and or Hansen get traded for reasonable 3rd round picks.

I mean we can experiment all day if we wanted to, make up tons of possible combinations of what are lines might be come October, but there is no question that the mentality from now on is rock n roll 4 lines that can compete and hopefully win.

I like this line up better. However, don't you think the "protectors" (Prust and Dorsett) should be spread over 2 lines?

but this team won't be successful running four lines because of the defence it has. The puck will be in our end most of the time because on paper this teams defence doesn't look good at all. I'm still shocked how Weber got a contract, the guy is horrible defensively.

With the Sedin twins I see a declining year for them, there is no way they replicate last years season. However, 3 on 3 might be handy for them, maybe the Canucks' will be a team that traps all game long just to get into overtime because 3- on 3 will benefit the Sedins big time.

Willie did great in the regular season rolling 4 lines. I'd assume he'd keep that up.

But if he plays any one named sedin under 20 minutes in any game during the playoffs again, I'll be calling for his head.

This team is 4 lines deep and will surely have to roll 4. Especially when you gm spends 2.5 on two fourth liners in dors and prust.

Not criticizing the money on the 4th - I think it may turn out well.

but this team won't be successful running four lines because of the defence it has. The puck will be in our end most of the time because on paper this teams defence doesn't look good at all. I'm still shocked how Weber got a contract, the guy is horrible defensively.

With the Sedin twins I see a declining year for them, there is no way they replicate last years season. However, 3 on 3 might be handy for them, maybe the Canucks' will be a team that traps all game long just to get into overtime because 3- on 3 will benefit the Sedins big time.

I'm not entirely sure about this. No doubt the Sedins are among the best 4 on 4 players in the league because it allows them to exploit their fantastic possession play, but I think 3 on 3 will benefit players with speed a little bit more relative to possession. If you've every watched 3 on 3 hockey there are a lot of odd man rushes and games end on these rushes far more often then on set-up offensive (Sedin-like) goals. If I had to guess right now, I would say the Sedins won't be as good 3 on 3 as they are 4 on 4, hopefully I am wrong about that.

guys

sedin sedin burrows

baerchi boner vrbata

higgins horvat virtanen

prust vey dorse

eds tanev

hamhuis weber

sbisa corrado

barkowski

cup pls thanks

I want more youth then some of your guys line ups like Jake or Gaunce in there

Sedin sedin Vrbata

Bartchi Horvat Jake

Shincky Boneno Burrows

Dorset prust Hansen

Yes, I assume they'll roll four lineslines, why not? It's what WD does and all four lines will give a real good effort.

I imagine Benning wants Prust and Dorsett on different lines, mentoring/protecting different young players on the ice, even though Dors-Prust-Burr/Hansen sounds like a terrifying checking line i doubt we'll see much of that, What a huge pain in the ass they'd be.

Hopefully some of the kids shine and make it this year, and the roster could look a lot different in October ..... or April.

If Higgins is like glue in the locker room, he should just stay there and hold it together, I'd rather watch the future miss multiple open nets every game..

Rolling 4 lines was the strength of the Canucks last season. If the Sedins play <18 mins then they can still perform at a high level. I really don't think they've sacrificed forward depth this off season so I see no reason why they couldn't roll 4 lines.

The other part, or perhaps reason for rolling 4 lines in the first place is the lack of a legit 2nd line. I think it's still going to be a work in progress until Bones can be replaced and Baer can show that he can perform against top 4 D.

I would kind of like to see this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Bonino Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Prust Friesen Dorsett

- Burrows will be back with the twins

- Vrbata becomes the trigger man on the second line, he works well with Bonino. Higgins is the guy who goes into the corners and retrieves the puck for his teammates.

- Baertschi becomes the go to goal scorer on this line. Horvat and Hansen have a lot of grit and hustle, I think this line would work great together. Hansen seems like the perfect player

- Don't really like this line, not enough balance or skill. As a rough and tumble 4th line Friesen would slot in nicely. Vey would just rot away.

I hope a rookie can step in and take a spot, I have a feeling we aren't gonna be as good this year as we were last year unfortunately. Other then Bo and Maybe sven I don't really see anyone getting any better in the roster the OP shows. This year is gonna be more of a dog fight in my eyes.

It looks like that 4th line center will have a lot of protection on our team next year :)

I'd rather see Gaunce or Cassels get a shot at the 4th line centre position. Those two both proved their worth and deserve a shot. Maybe then Benning can come to and see that Vey needs to be traded.

I agree Cassels and maybe McCann IMO are better. Vey was traded for and got ice time he didn't deserve because he was one of Willie's boys and the only reason he'll stay is because the other 2 can be sent to the AHL or back to junior.

Archived