The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Dan Hamhuis

pmalina

Again, it's time management are honest with themselves. I want moves made even if we are 7th place come deadline day,Benning and Linden cannot give the core another chance because they have gotten 4 chances to prove themselves in the playoffs. It's enough, even if this team is in the playoffs, Benning should look at trading away guys.

The question is how much do you weaken the defense to serve the future. If Hamhuis is traded, Edler then becomes the veteran presence on the blueline. I like Edler as a player, but he doesn't really strike me as a leader or strong veteran presence.

This then leaves the d-corps leaderless and will have an effect on the overall team performance, and even though Benning has made some questionable decisions, the idea of bringing in youth to a winning culture (however many they can muster) is a hell of a lot better than having no focal point for the young guys to ease into the majors with.

Won't be sad to see Hamhuis traded. All those cough up's and wtf sort of plays, no offensive touch or jump. Mentor? How about free up that cap space and look to coax Seabrook into coming home next year. That's a mentor you want for your young guys! Also, go after Ty Barrie, another hometown guy.

Seabrook - Barrie

Edler - Tanev

Corrado - Clendening

ie - the reverse Detroit .... 5 right handed dmen .

Won't be sad to see Hamhuis traded. All those cough up's and wtf sort of plays, no offensive touch or jump. Mentor? How about free up that cap space and look to coax Seabrook into coming home next year. That's a mentor you want for your young guys! Also, go after Ty Barrie, another hometown guy.

Seabrook - Barrie

Edler - Tanev

Corrado - Clendening

Haven't been paying attention? Chicago is clearing contracts to pave the way to re-sign Seabrook.

And what do we have that will pry Barrie out of Colorado? He's their top young guy at their weakest position.

Hamhuis would net a haul at the deadline... With the possibility of re-signing him at the deadline.

That said, we'd be down to 2 quality NHL defensemen if we do that. He's absolutely need to be replaced via FA if we can't scoop him back up.

I don't see "mentorship" as being about speeches and such, but he's certainly a good role model and reliable partner for young guys.

If we are out of the playoff picture by the deadline ( which I expect ) we need to trade him

We have assistant coach and former NHL defenseman Doug Lidster who was a very solid defensive player in his day that has almost 900 games of NHL experience not including the 80 playoff games who is a good mentor for the younger guys and then we can add some veteran leadership on the back end following the season again

Haven't been paying attention? Chicago is clearing contracts to pave the way to re-sign Seabrook.

And what do we have that will pry Barrie out of Colorado? He's their top young guy at their weakest position.

Might as well clear mondo cap space and acquire Shea Weber through a ridiculous trade.

You're talking about Tanev, right;)? Just kidding.

Agreed about Hammer, but what he could fetch at deadline will be too enticing for JB imo, that's one gm who's crazy for draft picks!

So crazy for draft picks he trades them and young 24 year olds for 30 year old bottom 6 players.

i believe, benning is waiting to see if his game reverts to the way he has played before...he had a struggle this past year...imo, hammy gets a new contract before next season starts..he is important to this team and what he can impart on the young d-men coming in...

Totally agree with this. His importance as a mentor to the up-and-comers cannot be overstated.

I would hate to see the Canucks in the same situation that the Oilers were in with a whole bunch of young talent and nobody to show them the way.

Jim Benning and the whole management group expressed pretty clearly that Canucks want to remain competitive and want to develop young players with the guidance of good mentors. I understand this strategy and support this. I think Sedins should retire as Canucks and be mentors to younger players.

If I look on our roster, this is what I see:

a ) forwards: Obviously, we have Sedins there as our veterans. Burrows is a great example how hard it can be to get yourself to the next level as well.

b ) goalies: Miller is here as an experienced goalie who should be a mentor to younger goalies.

c ) defence: Here, that´s interesting. Only veteran with leadership skills I can really see is Dan Hamhuis. He is the only one aged above 30, still just 32 years old. Dan is UFA at the end of next season. Some people are suggesting to trade Hamhuis for picks at the trade deadline. If we would trade him, there is nobody else to be that mentor. It is more apparent now after Bieksa´s departure.

What do you guys think?

- Should we trade Dan Hamhuis at deadline or give him an extension?

- Is this mentor thing overrated?

I believe Hamhuis should also retire as a Canuck, he has good value in the League at his age and could fetch Vancouver a couple good picks more than likely, however as we've seen in Edmonton and in other examples there is a need for a responsible and reliable top four defenseman on the roster.

is that allowed? That would be awesome.

Hypothetical couldn't a team have a verbal agreement with a player to give him a good retirement contract if he would agree to do that?

Who is going to prove they talked about it ? It happens. Hammer is a Christian though and has morals so I don't see him planning something out like that. It would probably be something simple if anything like them saying , "we'd love to have you back at some point". Legally there ain't much anyone can do about that. Depends on what he wants to do I guess.

Archived