The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Dan Hamhuis

pmalina

I think they both played off each other in that regard, where with Ehrhoff it was more one sided that Edler was the more responsible one. Ehrhoff worked a little better with the Sedins and their cycle though where Salo tended to be more of a finisher with them. Slightly different dynamics, but interesting how they worked with Edler nonetheless.

Hamhuis though...

Yeah I'd agree that Edler/Salo was more 'synergy' and Edler/Ehrhoff was more "complimentary'.

As for Hamhuis... He is a good D-man : :D

Here's hoping we get a king's ransom for him at the deadline, he wins a cup wherever he's dealt and then he signs back with us in the summer for 3'ish years at around $4m per :towel:

I funamentally disagree. There have been great quiet leaders throughout history. Rob Brind'Amour, Joe Sakic, the great Nicklas Lidtrom, to name a few. Even if you wanted to go today's NHL, Henrik Zetterberg would be a great example, Johnny Toews was considered a quiet leader once upon a time as well. I don't know if things have changed at all, but he used to be. By league standards, the Sedins are probably considered quiet leaders in their own right. Over years that changes, but you don't have to be a loud fiery kind of guy, like a Bieksa to be a leader.

However, I do think that it is a fiar point, as you need a balance. Bieksa's fiery nature kind of balanced out with the Sedins. So that is a fair point. Still, my point being, Alex Edler is a fine suitable replacement.

This will be his 10th year in the league, in which he spent alll 10 years a Canuck. He's been through the wars, he's been through the cup runs, the rivalries, the ups, and the downs, and he is still here, bouncing back, taking on the hardest matchups, and playing 24-25 minutes a game. He had a rough season, as did everyone, and he bounced back. The Sedins had a terrible season last year, but they bounced back as our MVPS, that's what a leader does. Alex Edler, also had a terrible season, and he bounced back, and he is the one leading the charge on the backend for this incoming team, with Hamhuis or not. Alex Edler will get an A on his jersey, if not this year, then next year. And I think it's deserved.

I for one think you need a good balance. Maybe Edler combined with the Sedins may not be a good choice, but Edler in of himself is a fine choice to get an A on his jersey.

I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying Hamhuis is better and more likely to have an impact specifically in a mentoring role as a leader and - speaking of the 'A' - also in being able to interact with the refs effectively. It also has nothing to do with their play or role on the ice between the whistles as both are good.

Hamhuis has never had the luxury of playing with a truly gifted right handed defenceman. He spent most of last season playing with Yannick Weber of all people, the seasons before that with the turnover machine Kevin Bieksa and never got a sniff with a Salo or Ehrhoff during our Cup run. Next season, he'll be playing with one of Bartowski (who has scored 0 NHL goals), Weber again, Corrado or Clendening who probably should all be in the AHL on a decent team.

I am in agreeance with moving on from Dan Hamhuis on the blueline, BUT we cannot let him go without replacing him with at least one star left handed defenceman. Luca Sbisa and Bartowski are simply not good enough to play as our 2nd and 3rd defenceman on the left side. Edler will be turning 30 soon, giving him only a season or two of top pairing quality minutes left, and once that's up we need his big minutes replaced by a star left handed defenceman - that's not going to be Sbisa, Hutton or anyone in this organization.

I don't even care if we let Hamhuis walk for nothing, so long as Benning makes a big-time, Hamilton-like play for a star lefty. Guys like Hamilton, Joe Morrow or Derreck Pouliot would have been perfect for that role and if I were Benning I would trade just about anyone on this team for him. We get a kid like that who can play in the NHL next season, grow slowly and gradually replace Edler as the top left handed defenceman and we suddenly have a Cup-worthy defence. Our forwards are up to scratch, our defence is not.

Benning wants this team to contend for a Cup in around 3 years time now, and I believe our forwards and goalies are well on their way to peaking around then. As for the defence, a few moves need to be made, and Hamhuis leaving (or signing for dirt cheap as a 3rd pairing guy) is one of them.

Imagine if we could replace Hamhuis with someone like Joe Morrow for say McCann + 1st. Here's our lineup in a couple seasons time on defence:

Morrow - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Sbisa - Clendening

Bartowski

I'd have to think that Hamhuis at this juncture of his career and his time in Vcr ( he did take a haircut to play here ) and now told before the season even starts he's not going to be traded ...is just a tad p!ssed right now so come the trade deadline I don't think he's going to play ball with management ...just like they ain't playing ball with him. I'd think a rumour ( started by his agent ) that he's going to retire might just do it. Or he's back is hurting ... what ever. This is a case of, stuff me....hey stuff you LOL

Imagine if we could replace Hamhuis with someone like Joe Morrow for say McCann + 1st. Here's our lineup in a couple seasons time on defence:

Morrow - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Sbisa - Clendening

Bartowski

It was a good post until "Joe Morrow for Mccann+1st." I wouldn't trade Morrow for Mccann alone.

I'd have to think that Hamhuis at this juncture of his career and his time in Vcr ( he did take a haircut to play here ) and now told before the season even starts he's not going to be traded ...is just a tad p!ssed right now so come the trade deadline I don't think he's going to play ball with management ...just like they ain't playing ball with him. I'd think a rumour ( started by his agent ) that he's going to retire might just do it. Or he's back is hurting ... what ever. This is a case of, stuff me....hey stuff you LOL

Wow, if that's all it takes to be a Vancouver Canuck then...

Yeah I'd agree that Edler/Salo was more 'synergy' and Edler/Ehrhoff was more "complimentary'.

As for Hamhuis... He is a good D-man : :D

Here's hoping we get a king's ransom for him at the deadline, he wins a cup wherever he's dealt and then he signs back with us in the summer for 3'ish years at around $4m per :towel:

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to a Vermette-styled Stanley Cup road trip for Hammer, and the end-around... assuming this team is not in a playoff spot itself - an assumption most people here make, but is certainly not a foregone conclusion.

Archived