The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[signing] Oduya to Stars

This kind of drama sure is pop on these boards.

I mean, every time a western conference team adds anything you'd think they'd just gained some kind of decisive advantage relative to the Canucks.

I'm wondering what it is about Oduya that makes him part of the so-called "arms race"?

Is it his 10 points last season? 0.39 pp 60?

Was it his team worst underlying numbers? (-10.1 relative corsi, 51.3% offensive zone starts). In his "defense", he faces some strong quality of competition, but let's not get carried away.

Was it the 44 giveaways (-22). Again, no big deal - my point here is not to claim that Oduya is not a good NHL defenseman - he's a decent, 33 year old, undersized shutdown guy, who just cost the Stars a fair chunk of cap.

But is this the kind of addition that buries the Canucks in hopelessness to compete though?

I think people are repeating a perenial anxiety that blows thngs like this out of proportion.

Would make interesting sig material though - a bold and dramatic statement that you could look back upon to see how prophetic it tuns out to be.

Do it. 11th in the west

And shine that bad boy up and display it everywhere you can.

Benn-Seguin-Sharp

Nicholishin-Spezza-Hemsky

Goligoski-Klingberg

Oduya-Demers

Lehtonen

Niemi

This is not bad.

No excuses to not make the playoffs imho.

Mmhmm.

There's no argument there, no excuses now with a healthy Nicushkin and Seguin, beefed up goalies and defense. They should be a playoff team at best, at worst a strong bubble team

The majority of teams in the west either got better, got deeper or got younger and faster, Our team didn't. Big deal. But statements like "I can't see us fighting through and making the playoffs" are now instantly recognized as "the sky is falling" or "You just want to see the team tank" and personally, my favorite type of statements "If you're not with us you're against us"

As though somehow making a statement about the realistic expectations of our team makes one a troll.

Mmhmm.

There's no argument there, no excuses now with a healthy Nicushkin and Seguin, beefed up goalies and defense. They should be a playoff team at best, at worst a strong bubble team

The majority of teams in the west either got better, got deeper or got younger and faster, Our team didn't. Big deal. But statements like "I can't see us fighting through and making the playoffs" are now instantly recognized as "the sky is falling" or "You just want to see the team tank" and personally, my favorite type of statements "If you're not with us you're against us"

As though somehow making a statement about the realistic expectations of our team makes one a troll.

I think it's more about what the team should do, and being a bubble team is a waste of time. But that's just me, and my opinion is worthless. There will always be those out there that push their rah-rah agendas in the face of reality, and then sit on their hands when the waste of time season has transpired. 'Well that was unfortunate. But wait till the next mediocre performance! You'll see!'

That being said, I still see this team being a bubble team. Although the schedule is a lot tougher and the opponents have all grown stronger this season, I just have seen too many elements as of late that make me think this team will get that solid draft pick that we need. Yes, it is an ultra-cynical view that we can't even get losing right, such as the mere 7 wins difference between Coho and Stamkos/Doughty, but given our history...

I hope Linden and Benning have a good plan though. Crossing-fingers that it works out. I'd like a reason to stop being so cynical.

Do it. 11th in the west

And shine that bad boy up and display it everywhere you can.

You're flattering yourself. I don't do sigs, and if I did, you'd have plenty of dramatic competition.

I meant put it in your own sig - put your money where your mouth is.

Tell us where Dallas finishes while you're at it.

You're flattering yourself. I don't do sigs, and if I did, you'd have plenty of dramatic competition.

I meant put it in your own sig - put your money where your mouth is.

Tell us where Dallas finishes while you're at it.

Dallas 7th in the west, Canucks 11th.

Thats my guess.

Care to make one yourself or will you maintain your haughty demeanor as though it means something?

Archived