The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Ryan Kesler with Anaheim

AriGold

I like how players are on bargain contracts until 30, then get grossly overpaid after their prime. GMs so desperate to retain their jobs in the short term they hurt the team in the long term. For all we know Kesler could remain good over the course of his contract though.

Based on his injury history........

The payment seems kind of high for a 45-50pt player, especially with the NTC + term. I really can't see Kes playing into his late 30s, so he'll likely be on LTIR or retire, so it probably won't effect the Ducky books.

Ducks have always been one of my least favourite teams. I'm really disappointed that Juice is one of them now. Don't really care so much about Kes, but I wish them both good luck.

Good for Kes. Good for the Canucks for not being the ones on the hook for $6.875M AAV.

If the Canucks are going to have jerks on the team, I'd rather have Milan Lucic at $7.0M AAV. Lucic would help Jim's modus operandi of creating a safe working environment for the kids much better than Kesler would ever have.

Good for Kes, the way I see it if he didn't want out when he did the Canucks might have taken another couple years to decide to do the rebuild and by then all our players would have had no trade value at all. So at the end of the day love him or hate him I think he did the Canucks a huge favor asking to leave.

He was already making $5mil. Not sure why $6.75mil seems astronomical, given what he does. Maybe the term is a bit long, but not shockingly so. If this ends up being an albatross contract for them, they'll likely be rid of it in some way. Happens all the time for the priveledged teams.

He has a no-move clause in the first 5 years and a limited trade in the last.

They are literally stuck with him until maybe the last year, but even then, he'd handcuff them to one team again probably. If his play declines, they're screwed.

He has a no-move clause in the first 5 years and a limited trade in the last.

They are literally stuck with him until maybe the last year, but even then, he'd handcuff them to one team again probably. If his play declines, they're screwed.

Utimately their team as it is depends on Getzlaf and Perry. If Kesler goes down, they're not screwed at all. But I view Anaheim as a heavily spoiled team.

Worst-case, Kesler's cap hit is evaporated like Pronger's and Savard's were.

Utimately their team as it is depends on Getzlaf and Perry. If Kesler goes down, they're not screwed at all. But I view Anaheim as a heavily spoiled team.

Worst-case, Kesler's cap hit is evaporated like Pronger's and Savard's were.

I agree, but all three of them are practically at the same age (i think they're all 30), so when they do decline, they'll most likely all decline together and that team will have a huge drop-off.

Regardless, they really need to win a cup in the next 2-3 years before their big-3 start to diminish.. I mean, look at all the cup winners recently, the core is always relatively young.

I agree, but all three of them are practically at the same age (i think they're all 30), so when they do decline, they'll most likely all decline together and that team will have a huge drop-off.

Regardless, they really need to win a cup in the next 2-3 years before their big-3 start to diminish.. I mean, look at all the cup winners recently, the core is always relatively young.

That's probably why they're making so many moves.

7 million dollars for a 40-50pts player.

Yeah, I'd rather have Bonino.

Kesler gives 40-50 pts, plays against the hardest competition every night, PK, wins the majority of his draws, is physical, fast, intense and plays hard every night. He can and has carried a team through a playoff series almost completely on his own. Bonino once had almost 50pts...and that's about it. Not physical, not fast, not great on the draw, not really outstanding in any facet of the game. I'd rather have Kesler.

Bonino isnt half the player Kesler is. Points arent everything, Kesler is a beast and brings so much to the team even if he doesnt score. Hes a complete player who gives it his all, all heart and soul. 7 million is well deserved.

Points IS everything, if you're counted on to be an elite player, which clearly Kesler isn't.

7M per season is entering elite terrority, in this league.

Archived