The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why no love for Bonino?

VIC_CITY

I'll be the 1st person to admit it, I'm not the biggest Nick Bonino fan. But with the recent Ryan Kesler extension, I find myself wondering why?

2014/2015 stats

Nick Bonino - 15G 24A 39P +7 22PIM in 75 games $1.9M salary for 2 more years

Ryan Kesler - 20G 27A 47P -5 75PIM in 80 games $5M next year and $6.75M after

Perhaps Bonino was a little over his head in his 1st year as 2C but man is that ever good bang for buck. Salaries are absolutely out of control these days!

Clearly Kesler is the better player of the 2 but that contract is going to look awful 3-4 years.

Is it time we started showing Bonino a little more love?

Two words...

TOO SLOW

ok maybe four words

WAY TOO FREAKIN SLOW

He needs to learn how to skate... argh trade him already!

Skating can be taught. He has hockey sense and a great contract. Can't teach that stuff. Roger Takahashi is considered one of the best physical trainers in the NHL. He will get guys like Bonino and Vey into top shape come October.

People criticize FAR him too much IMO, particularly considering his cap hit.

He's not terribly fleet of foot and he's merely a 'competent' 2C (rather than a dominant/elite 2C like Kesler was).

He'll still start the year as our 2C as he's still currently our best option there (though Horvat could change that depending on the year he has).

Fast enough to make the NHL and score goals... How fast can you skate?

Congratulations, you cannot comment on any NHL players ability on any team anywhere at any time with this one sentence lest you be a complete hypocrite

Ever again

I don't agree with the guy you quoted, but this counter argument was even worse.

A lot of people thought when we got him that he would instantly become our 2nd liner. Even when he was in ANA he struggled when he was their 2nd line center, but he was unbelievable playing in the 3rd(more like 2B) spot. Willie needs to put him in a spot with speedy wingers and he'll put up 40+ points.

Higgins/Virtanen-Horvat-Burrows 2A

Baer-Bonino-Virtanen/Hansen 2B

My opinion on Bonino is he's quite lazy. Throughout the season he seemed to make terrible line changes, he was streaky, and overall not a huge difference maker on the ice. Sure he puts up points, but he's small and is primarily an offensive forward who lacks the speed and drive that all top notch scorers possess. Whereas Kesler is a force at both ends of the rink. IMO I can't see Bonino progressing as a player any further unless he truly wants it and pushes himself within to that next level. I hope I'm wrong though.

My opinion on Bonino is he's quite lazy. Throughout the season he seemed to make terrible line changes, he was streaky, and overall not a huge difference maker on the ice. Sure he puts up points, but he's small and is primarily an offensive forward who lacks the speed and drive that all top notch scorers possess. Whereas Kesler is a force at both ends of the rink. IMO I can't see Bonino progressing as a player any further unless he truly wants it and pushes himself within to that next level. I hope I'm wrong though.

This has everything to do with speed.

His contract is an outright steal in today's cap world. Great to have on your team and I'm sure teams will be calling for him just cause of that price tag alone. Could either keep him and have that cap friendly hit or trade him to a team and get a good return but I don't see Bones being traded away tbh.

He's more than worth the contract as a player with his play and production, adequate as a 2nd liner (not dominant, but what were you expecting) and is young enough and cheap enough to fit in the picture during our restock.

Sure having Ryan as 2nd C would be better, not gonna argue against that, but the facts are that the team is not in a stage where it's competitive as before but in a youth movement, so Ryan wanted to leave only to Anaheim, and Bones (and Pizza) were the guys that Jim received in return. They're good soldiers, and Nick's on a good contract, so he should get more love for what he's been doing thus far.

Agreed, everyone was complaining that he wasn't putting up the points, but in reality he was shutting down top lines every night. I for one am still glad we got Bonino, he's no Kesler, but he's extremely cost effective at 1.7M

I have a feeling Horvat will take the 2C away from Bonino this year. But Bonino can move down easily. 1.7 is good dollar value.

Did Anaheim retain 200k of his cap?

Archived