The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why no love for Bonino?

VIC_CITY

The jury is still out on Bonino. I like him, in fact I have high hopes for him this season. With Hank, Bonino and Horvat I believe we have a bonafide 1st line star and two decent young centers to combo the 2nd and 3rd line roles. He is cap friendly and even if he ends up as a perennial 3rd line center, as long as he stabilizes the position, he is a winner to me. If we are just going to continually compare him to Kesler then he will never fill those shoes. Remember, we didn't just get Bonino to Kesler. I do hope McCann pans out.

My opinion on Bonino is he's quite lazy. Throughout the season he seemed to make terrible line changes, he was streaky, and overall not a huge difference maker on the ice. Sure he puts up points, but he's small and is primarily an offensive forward who lacks the speed and drive that all top notch scorers possess. Whereas Kesler is a force at both ends of the rink. IMO I can't see Bonino progressing as a player any further unless he truly wants it and pushes himself within to that next level. I hope I'm wrong though.

Lazy? Gimme a break.

Primarily an offensive forward? Making this statement makes me wonder if you even watched him play.

Average skating can be overcome by good hockey sense and positioning which Bonino is good at.

Kes' contract is huge... but he plays with edge, is one of the best faceoff men in the league, still can fly... even if the production continues to drop off, he brings intangables that Bonino will never come close to bringing.

Bonino would be a terrific addition as someones 3C, especially with his contract. Thats why I think Hed make very interesting trade deadline fodder. Horvat should be ready for full time 2C by that time, and hopefully the year after, Cassels and McCann can take 3 and 4 C.

Bonino is serving his purpose. He is a stop gap for this team and could very well garner a 2nd round pick + prospect, or even possibly a 1st from a contender against the cap as his cap hit will be miniscule by deadline day.

The 17/18 version of the Vancouver Canucks will have a massive turnover of veterans to prospects and some fresh UFAs. Just wish we could fast forward to that season. :(

That points difference between Kes and Bonino is exaggerated by Kes playing more minutes and being on the PP. Bonino actually scored more 5 on 5 and at a higher rate (P/60). Put Bonino on the PP with the Sedins and he would have topped 50 points no problem.

As far as his speed goes, it will be very interesting to see how much the players who were added last year improve over the summer. Bonino, Vey,Sbisa, even Dorsett and Horvat could see surprising jumps in performance with a full summer to train.

My opinion on Bonino is he's quite lazy. Throughout the season he seemed to make terrible line changes, he was streaky, and overall not a huge difference maker on the ice. Sure he puts up points, but he's small and is primarily an offensive forward who lacks the speed and drive that all top notch scorers possess. Whereas Kesler is a force at both ends of the rink. IMO I can't see Bonino progressing as a player any further unless he truly wants it and pushes himself within to that next level. I hope I'm wrong though.

6'1" 195 isn't small.

We've talked about Bonino in the past, and how he's good value but not necessarily as good a player. He doesn't control or drive play as much Kesler did and clearly isn't quite the Sekle quality defensive player either. That value is perfect for us right now though while we're in transition.

Two words...

TOO SLOW

ok maybe four words

WAY TOO FREAKIN SLOW

He needs to learn how to skate... argh trade him already!

He knows how to skate, but if you go back to watch the video of Willie welcoming Bo to the team at the start of the year, you can see Bonino beside him and he has knee braces on both legs. That's going to limit his movement and hamper his skating to an extent. We've got what we've got with Bonino.

He does wear 2 knee braces. IMO that could be part of the speed issue...

Obviously he'll be up for a big raise at contract time, age 29.

'He's still young.' Doesn't really apply imho. But you hear it being said.

I don't think we retain him at that point. Hopefully, we'll have moved him at the deadline for more assets (unless somehow he's really improved and we'd be stupid to let him go) to make more room for Horvat, McCann and Cassels in the top 9.

Cuz everyone here is pessimistic. Bonino is better than Kesler. His goals for and points for per 60 minutes played even strength last year were both better than Kesler.

The bone show is a beaut. People just hate because they aren't half as good looking.

Agreed, everyone was complaining that he wasn't putting up the points, but in reality he was shutting down top lines every night. I for one am still glad we got Bonino, he's no Kesler, but he's extremely cost effective at 1.7M

Everyone still have Horvat slotted as 3rd C. If he continues to progress like he has I think he will be 2nd C with Bonino taking the 3rd as our checking line. I think he will excel there.

bonino is great defensively a good shut down man...i remember a centre we had here starting out on the third line with burrows and was one of the best shut down lines in the league...then they both move up a line or two and were great for us...bonino was on the 2nd line because we didn't have anyone better at that position. same as higgins...if horvat and baerschi can supplant them this year, good....willie wants to be able to trust his players.

Archived