The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why no love for Bonino?

VIC_CITY

it's too bad players can't be signed to new contracts

If you don't see the difference in value between having a pending UFA or RFA I don't really know what to tell you. I initially assumed (without checking... my bad) that he was a pending RFA.

I also hadn't listened to Bennings presser about wanting to resign him ASAP, which is promising. Lately Jim has appeared to be a wait and see guy with contracts.

If they re sign him, I couldn't give a rat's ass and neither should anybody.

Well thank you for telling me for what I should care about when analyzing a trade. I hope his agent doesn't feel the need to strong arm us at all with contract negotiations. If he wants a long term raise then we're in for a gamble by signing him to anything right now before he laces up his skates for us in a 2nd line role.

Had he been an RFA there would be no pressure to get anything done. We could wait and see how he works out, and then pay him more appropriately at the end of the season.

And if we get him on a good fair new deal then yes, the point is moot. But until that happens I think I have a right to be more skeptical when analyzing.

it's too bad players can't be signed to new contracts

Sutter has suspected he was out of Pitsburgh,

Sutter has suspected he was coming to Vancouver for a while now,

A team can start negotiations in a new contract in the final year of the current contract,

Nothing to dislike; Sutter will sign promptly.

Archived