The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign Justin Schultz

25, 31pts last year. If this was a Cauck people would be pissed that it wasn't a 5-8 year deal. The kids the real deal and is going to be an amazing defenseman in the next 2-3 years. It's a minor raise, a show me raise. His next deal is going to depend on if he can repeat the points and improve the D.

Weber is 26, 21pts last year and got 1.5m and is a lot better at defending than Schultz (which isn't entirely great). Sure he had more points and has more upside but why should anyone pay for 'potential' and 4m seems relatively high considering his point totals vs his defensive play...

Whatever... overpayment but seems like that's what Edmonton's gotta do.

Strange course of 'development' for Schultz in Edmonton.

His quality of competition was much weaker in his third season than his first two, and his offensive zone starts were considerably higher - going from under 50% his first two seasons, to 63.4% last season.

His production took a dive nevertheless - each season - from 1.57 pp 60, to 1.15 and 1.02 last year. He regressed despite having much more sheltered minutes this past season, the most sheltered on Edmonton's blueline and probably the most sheltered of any regular on that team.

34 of his 66 career assists have come on the powerplay. 28 even strength assists in 3 seasons (2 and a bit more than a half in the lockout season) playing 22+ minutes a night is not particularly impressive. I have to laugh at the 'he's the real deal' comments (where have we heard that regarding sheltered players before?) We'll see. Quarterbacking a powerplay can only carry you so far.

He clearly needs to step up his game.

Can someone name a softer D-man in the NHL today? I seriously can't.

Well, if you're talking about physicality as in hitting, Duncan Keith had a whooping 13 hits to end the year...granted he is a Norris caliber defenseman, but still...what a *#ssy!

Well, if you're talking about physicality as in hitting, Duncan Keith had a whooping 13 hits to end the year...granted he is a Norris caliber defenseman, but still...what a *#ssy!

That's because cheapshots aren't counted statistically, which he's probably the league leader in.

Schultz was given a "show me" contract last season and he didn't show he was worth it.

I don't know why the Oilers just didn't let him walk this year, they paid nothing to get him in the first place, so losing him for nothing shouldn't be an issue.

In over 50 years of watching hockey, I have seen very few defense-men who were poorer than he is at DEFENSE.

Even in his strong point: offense, he lacks a decent slap shot and is slow at decision making.

Dan Boyle isn't soft lmao and Weber has the ability to nail guys who are his size or smaller. Schultz is the most softest defenceman in the league there is little competition.

Clearly we have different definitions of soft.

During his time in Tampa I used to believe he was underrated. I supposed, as fans, we can't expect too much from offensive defensemen but if your role is an offensive defenseman and you've played more than 1000 games in the league, surely you can do better than career -5?! This just tells me you stink up your own zone.

In other words, you're soft to play against.

His career play-off numbers are worse.

Archived