The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats Happening with Baertschi?

Hayraan

Just wondering if anyone knows what is going with Sven Baertschi? is he close to being signed or is he testing the market?

Apparently the Leafs and Panthers are expressing interest.

Lol and so they are going to offer sheet him something that the canucks can't match somehow?

My guess it that he will go to arbitration and we'll come to an agreement.

I'm not sure if he qualifies for arbitration. Regardless if he went that route he needed to file by July 5th.

Players going to arbitration:

Arizona Coyotes: Brendan Shinnimin (July 20), Philip Samuelsson (July 21)

Calgary Flames: Lance Bouma (July 22), Josh Jooris (July 28), Paul Byron (July 30)

Colorado Avalanche: Andrew Agozzino (July 20), Mat Clark (July 22)

Minnesota Wild: Erik Haula (July 31)

Nashville Predators: Craig Smith (July 20), Colin Wilson (July 28)

New Jersey Devils: Adam Larsson (July 29)

New York Rangers: Derek Stepan (July 27)

Ottawa Senators: Alex Chiasson (July 23), Mike Hoffman (July 30)

Philadelphia Flyers: Michael Del Zotto (July 21)

Toronto Maple Leafs: Jonathan Bernier (July 31) *

Washington Capitals: Braden Holtby (July 23), Marcus Johansson (July 29)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773987

Vladimir Putin asked him to head up the "Swiss hockey players in NA" chapter of the Russian mob. Yannick Weber and Luca Sbisa, being members of the chapter themselves, were mad that the almighty leader had not chosen them, and they now have Baertschi holed up in a warehouse in Surrey trying to beat info out of him. Nino Niederreiter, Jonas Hiller, and Mark Streit (the longest-serving active member) also know about this. They've been to the warehouse, but have not taken part in the torturing.

On a serious note, I did read somewhere that it figured to be a tough negotiation; apparently Baertchi considers himself a proven commodity and wants top dollar. Not judging mind you, just something (I read somewhere. I'll delete this comment if it makes folks mad.

On a serious note, I did read somewhere that it figured to be a tough negotiation; apparently Baertchi considers himself a proven commodity and wants top dollar. Not judging mind you, just something (I read somewhere. I'll delete this comment if it makes folks mad.

I didn't think he was after a lot of money, but looking for a longer term on a 1-way contract.

My guess it that he will go to arbitration and we'll come to an agreement.

I don't think he's eligible for arbitration, in any case neither side has filed for it. They're just still negotiating and there's plenty of time to sign him.

EDIT: I see Baggins beat me to it.

But OP, if you aren't trolling (and by your join date considering who we had trolling in the last few days and the comment about Leafs and Panthers showing interest in an RFA I'd guess you are) then you should really just go check out the Sven Baertschi Talk thread in the Prospects sub-forum. There's also (Report)Baertschi will not accept qualifying offer thread from all of 6 days ago in Canucks Talk, but with the search not working of late I don't blame anyone for not finding it.

Interesting... lots of opinions but no real responses to my question.

Fire Linden!!!!! :emot-parrot:

If you really wanted an answer to that you would have searched for it. Twitter, for instance, is a wonderful tool to find news:

NEWS 1130 Sports@NEWS1130Sports Jul 10

Hearing that #Canucks forward Sven Baertschi will not accept his qualifying offer. Hearing Baertschi wants a 1 way contract.

Agent Andre Rufener says he is positive something will get done soon. The #Canucks still retain Baertschi's rights but just need a contract.

That was 6 days ago as well (hence the other thread I mentioned) - and the search on Twitter certainly isn't broken. A deal will get done.

It's summer, go outside and stop trolling.

Interesting... lots of opinions but no real responses to my question.

Fire Linden!!!!! :emot-parrot:

Could be because the questions you asked were about as inane as they come.

I'll bite, just to humor you.

What's going on with Baertschi, you ask? Answer: his agent is negotiating with Benning right now. Baertschi apparently wants a one-way deal for X dollars for Y years. Benning is apparently offering either a one or two-way deal for N dollars and Z year(s).

Testing the markets? You apparently know nothing about how restricted free agency works. The only market that Baertschi can test is the Chinese night market in Richmond. Other than that, he can sign in Europe or wait for an offer sheet.

Methinks this dude^^^^ is desiboy's challenged little brother.

Archived