The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Blog] How Good Is Jim Benning At Evaluating Talent?

5ubmarine

If you say so. Benning seems decent at drafting, it's everything else I'm not too sure about.

A lot of the trades he has made so far are fair value. We are badly handcuffed by our predecessors. Lack was good but highly overvalued because of his fun social network persona his trade value was reality. Kassians trade was terrific. Kassian was a lazy under achiever, but hopefully he can pull it together. I have no problem with The Sbisa deal seeing as this team lacks sandpaper on the blueline, and Dorsett is an excellent 4th liner with loads of grit and now he's got a running partner in Prust! It's all a transitional phase, time is needed before we can officially say it's not working.

It seems the real issue is most fans seem to be confused by the message that Benning is giving to the fans by telling them that we are going to compete every yr when it's blatant that we are not going to have a team that unless it gets few surprise seasons from a few players or a couple rookies play like veterans that there's no chance we compete for a playoff spot

What Benning is doing with the roster is the right thing by having young guys start playing with the big team and learn from some of the vets while we have a poor season or 2 and hopefully get some high quality front line rookies that the future can be built around

If you say so. Benning seems decent at drafting, it's everything else I'm not too sure about.

Drafting is everything in the cap world. It's the biggest reason why the Canucks have had limited succes over the years.

They can't sustain a winning team because they haven't had enough young players to come up and replace the vets.

Drafting is everything in the cap world. It's the biggest reason why the Canucks have had limited succes over the years.

They can't sustain a winning team because they haven't had enough young players to come up and replace the vets.

This.

I'd say development is a very close second. The right coaching and overall team mentality towards prospects can go a long way to creating a professional hockey player for sure.

You expect Sebastian Vettel behind the wheel of a Kia Optima and drive like a Porsche?

No I just expect a GM who doesn't over pay someone like Sbisa and Dorsett and have repant speculation that we could have gotten a better pick for Lack in the west. Plus I didn't like the Kassian deal. I like most of his draft picks but he's not bullet proof in that department either. Zack hamil anyone?

Archived