The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Blog] How Good Is Jim Benning At Evaluating Talent?

5ubmarine

Benning was not the Bruins GM. I doubt you have inside knowledge about who made the final call on

Hamill. .

Thanks for letting me know he wasn't the GM of the Bruins. I had no idea. And it doesn't take inside knowledge to figure out that a guy like Benning had a lot of influence on draft picks due to his background and knack for judge of talent. I'm quite sure a lot of people have to agree on a 1st round selection.

Also do you just randomly hit the return key midway through a sentence?

If Benning is able to bring that drafting success to the Nucks, and supplement the team sensibly through free agency and trades, then we will be back competing in 3-5 years. If he's had it, and he's lost his marbles, we are stuffed. I have faith in Trevor Linden but I am not 100% convinced we're going to get where we want to be.

Benning will turn out to be nothing more then a sacrificial lamb.

If you look at the history of this organization it continually repeats Itself

At the start of the each decade we have a team in a sweet spot that can challenge for the Stanley cup

80's Gradin/ Smyl

90's Bure/ Linden

00's Bert/ Naz

10's Sedin/ Kes

By the later half of each decade the window closes and we slowly return to garbage.

If history repeats itself we won't be a Stanley Cup contender again until 2020-21.

Benning will be long gone by that time and the new GM will be reaping the fruits of our infidelity.

We need to draft our next dynamic duo and I'm not 100% sure we have drafted them yet.

Benning will turn out to be nothing more then a sacrificial lamb.

If you look at the history of this organization it continually repeats Itself

At the start of the each decade we have a team in a sweet spot that can challenge for the Stanley cup

80's Gradin/ Smyl

90's Bure/ Linden

00's Bert/ Naz

10's Sedin/ Kes

By the later half of each decade the window closes and we slowly return to garbage.

If history repeats itself we won't be a Stanley Cup contender again until 2020-21.

Benning will be long gone by that time and the new GM will be reaping the fruits of our infidelity.

We need to draft our next dynamic duo and I'm not 100% sure we have drafted them yet.

Um wasnt it 82, 94 and 11?

I'd say if you go with the average it'll be 2024 or somewhere around there, however very few teams make the finals twice in a 15-20 year span.

.....? Love Dorsett, but who is he better than? If the list is small, then yes Dorsett is one of our worst players... Stop being so biased.

He does really well in his role as a tenacious forechecker, and great with puck pursuit. I thought he had a great season. He did better in his role than other players in their role.

People will start to love him when all of his moves start to develop. It's like our draft this year, initially everyone was mad and hated it, but after looking into the prospects they realized how many potential steals we got. Canucks fans have no patience

Steals in this years draft?? There is no way of knowing they are steals or not yet.

When the twins are officially off the team and off the books, we can start to judge Benning and co. as we will FINALLY see HIS team. By then the entire 2011 core will be gone and we can FINALLY move on and let the new leadership core (Horvat Cassels Virtanen McCann Tanev Clendenning Hutton Demko, and please please please Chychrun) show us how it's done. Especially in the playoffs.

Benning's a good scout through and through, and now he's in charge of OUR scouting and and developing, something myself as a fan have been waiting for for a very, very, very long time. Jason Freaking Herter! Libor freaking Polesek! I've never been more confident in the Canucks' future, and I am really looking forward to the start of the 2018/2019 season when we head into training camp and Canuck mock line ups here on CDC are Sedin-less.

Benning's official stamp on this team is gonna take some time.

Be careful what you wish for. The Sedins are this teams life force. Without them we are a bottom feeder. Hopefully Cassels and company keep up with some of your guys' expectations.

That was a horrible pick no doubt but I am hard pressed to find one GM that hasn't had an outright dud with their first round pick , heck even top 5 pick etc

Every GM has a bad pick but you can't miss with top 10 picks or it cripples your team. He was only assistant GM though so he only takes a fraction of the blame. Yet he's the "scout" so he probably had a lot of say into that pick. Couture went right after Hamil....

Macmillan, Kenins sometimes, Burrows sometimes, Matthias three quarters of the time....night to night I liked him more than a lot of our guys.

You have to be a douche to fit in with the Bruins. A lot of good young guys seem to get run out of there. I'm hoping that Benning wasn't part of letting Seguin go...all though I think Sweeney has topped everyone there. I think Reilly Smith will be a 30 goal winger, so at least I can imagine that Benning was in there making sure that they landed someone good.

YouTube Bruins trade seguin... Benning had a big part in seguin leaving I'm afraid... It's not video there's no disputing it.

Very true. There is a huge void of younger talent because the drafting from 2005-2010

'05 Bourdon RIP

'06 Grabner

'07 White

'08 Hodgson

'09 Schroeder

'10 Ballard

Bourdon was on track to be a very good player but the rest is just poor decision making. That 5 year period is like a wasteland of Canuck draft picks. We can only hope that recent picks can turn this tide in Canuck favor

We never drafted Ballard?

Benning was not the Bruins GM. I doubt you have inside knowledge about who made the final call on

Hamill. Benning appears to have that level of control in Vancouver. As you suggest his career path

should have given him valuable experience to guide the Canucks.

Canuck fans should not undervalue the Utica AHL ownership as a critical tool to develop prospects

over time. IMHO it is a very big deal. A big part of drafting success is providing top development.

Canucks had that briefly with the Moose. The history of the org has been moving prospects to quickly

to the NHL. Hurt many.

Cherelli (too lazy to google sp) had the final say in Boston yes, but Benning had a big say in drafting and transactions.

Some of you think that Benning should be a Canucks Head Scout but the problem is: every GM in the league would rather to pick the first round against Benning's wish on his own first round pick choice and most GM delegates the picks from second round to the end of the draft to the head scout. I think that Benning is good at the GM because he can then get his own players through the trades, free agent signings whether it be the Canucks or Comets. I believe that he knew that the Canucks is heading for a rebuilding but refuse to show his card to everyone but rather started on them last season. He is patient and thoughtful. It is obvious that the Canucks are a bubble team now. What if Vey, Sbisa, and other players having a good bounce back year then it will make Benning look good despite the playoff failure against Calgary. He then will make a few trade moves he thinks will not be a success from the highest value possible from that point. Right now, Benning has no leverage because most outsiders think that the Canucks will not compete. I think that the expert should not be surprised if the Canucks is able to compete again, I mean, look at last year, they thought that Canucks will decline but they didn't happen.

So once the Canucks start to be good and shows their value to the NHL, then he will win a few more trades than he loses a trade. Most GM would be willing to work with Benning and will try to fleece him just because he lost a few trades in the past year. They will find out the hard way sooner or later that you can't outsmart Benning anymore. Benning will then be willing to hold out the trades if any team tries to fleece Benning. Good example: Bieska was supposed to be a Sharks but Doug Wilson tried to blindside him at the last minute but Benning won't have any of it and traded to the Ducks instead. He has no problem holding out players because he knows that the player on the trading block will continue to play well and help their team.

Benning is banking on a bad season by the Ducks for a reasonable second round pick. It is entirely possible that the Ducks miss the playoffs or the Kings win the division and Flames got better than the Ducks and be in 45-50 overall pick than the 60th pick. It is also possible that the Canucks make the playoff as a wild card team and pick in the same range as the Ducks. He is banking on that because the Ducks have had a long playoff run and could start the season slow out of the block.

I'm reserving judgement until players picked after the first round start making an impact. I'd love it if at least 2 picks in each draft class could make an impact of some sort, either in the NHL or via trade. I will say that picking Forsling and parlaying him into Clendening was brilliant.

I'm more pessimistic about his asset management skills with respect to current roster players. I hate that Richardson and Matthias walked for nothing. JB has stated that he is expecting Baertschi to have a top 6 role and maybe have Virtanen or Grenier make the team this year. Had JB been more of a risk taker either or both Richardson and Matthias could have been traded for something.

Maybe the downward slide we had under Torts made JB gun-shy with making roster changes midseason. I hope that's not the case this season.

Jim Benning is a great evaluator of talent, better than you think. How many of us would have picked Boeser with our first pick? Or Briebois with the third? Well, I did my homework on those guys and they are something special. But I was most impressed with Tate Olsen, his last pick - this guy probably isn't better than Boeser, but for his postition he's a Hakan Andersson steal.

Benning's weakness I think is the trading table - I honestly think he could have done better with trading Eddie Lack, getting more for his return. Or Kevin Bieksa.

This Canucks team, I think will win the Cup. After maybe seven years - long after the Sedins retire. They can win sooner, only if Benning gets better at trading.

Jim Benning is a great evaluator of talent, better than you think. How many of us would have picked Boeser with our first pick? Or Briebois with the third? Well, I did my homework on those guys and they are something special. But I was most impressed with Tate Olsen, his last pick - this guy probably isn't better than Boeser, but for his postition he's a Hakan Andersson steal.

Benning's weakness I think is the trading table - I honestly think he could have done better with trading Eddie Lack, getting more for his return. Or Kevin Bieksa.

This Canucks team, I think will win the Cup. After maybe seven years - long after the Sedins retire. They can win sooner, only if Benning gets better at trading.

Benning should hire Dave Nonis as assistant GM. Nonis, if there was one thing he was good at, it was making trades and getting value for them. He was pretty good at negotiating free agents too.

Archived