The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be Canada's Top Team in 15/16

If they're all mediocre, with only a miniscule chance at the cup, then what difference does it make?

I've taken a liking to watching games featuring the top american teams as opposed to 'the top canadian teams' for a few reasons.

First, the idiotic reffing you see on a night-by-night basis in Canada? Doesn't exist.

Second, you don't have to cheer on scrubs to drop the gloves because nothing else is happening. Who cares? The fights now are lame and everyone is scared shless.

Third, the overall talent on the top american teams is vastly superior. Makes for a much better-looking game.

Fourth, the moronic blowhard canadian media coverage is replaced by relatively professional nbc. Sure, Milbury is a clown, but up here, everyone is.

Fifth, the impression that I got from the games I watched last season here is that it was not genuine. Not legit. Something was off.

Sixth, in Canada, Johnny Fraudreau is allowed to become a star.

Montreal (Price)

Ottawa (goal-tending will shine)

Winnipeg (their time is near)

Calgary (might take the Jets spot)

Vancouver (not enough improvement)

Edmonton (growing pains, but look out for them in 2016/2017)

Toronto (this seems to be their plan)

I just don't see Winnipeg getting better than they've already become. Their top-end talent needs improvement, imho. For the time being, that's going to depend on Scheifele, who's been alright so far, but is hardly all-world. And are Ladd, Wheeler or Little going to get better? Nope. In their division, the toughest in the NHL, they are nothing but a bubble team as usual.

Montreal was overrated last year and they're still overrated today. The problem is that Price cannot score goals, and outside of Galchenyuk, playoff ghost, there's not much upside to be seen. And don't forget, they just lost Brandon Prust!!!

Calgary at least has some more upside to them, although with Fraudreau's and Hudler's past all-world seasons, it's going to be hard to improve. 19yr old Sam Bennett will be the key, as will Hamilton and Monahan. I actually see them as potentially a top canadian team this upcoming season. Still a crap team compared to the top american ones, but good compared to garbage.

Edmonton's a wildcard as usual. You get the sense that they finally start doing something though.

Ottawa's like Winnipeg with a slightly younger core. They have some upside, but depending on Bobby Ryan is folly, as was the trade to get him. He'll be the anchor that weighs them down while they continue being an eastern bubble.

TO hires Babcock to win, but his boss says they don't want to win. That's not a fit at all and I think it backfires on their 'plan' somehow.

Vancouver doesn't have a competitve lineup, but what difference does that make? Bubble team too. It is what it is.

Montreal

Vancouver

Winnepeg

Calgary

Edmonton

Ottawa

Toronto

How is Montreal not going to be the best Canadian team is my question...

...and a good one.

Another good question is how is Vancouver going to be the second best?

Montreal

Winnipeg

Calgary

Vancouver

Ottawa

Edmonton

Toronto

Habs are certainly the best team right now in Canada, McDavid will make the Oilers better but not that good.

McDavid will help, but the guys who will make the Oilers better are Talbot, Gryba and Sekera.

Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart will eventually make solid contributions as well.

McDavid will help, but the guys who will make the Oilers better are Talbot, Gryba and Sekera.

Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart will eventually make solid contributions as well.

Def.

If they can keep it together and not rush their prospects this team will have a very bright future, but not a playoff team yet.

Archived