The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Trade deadline question!

5Fivehole0

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With all the talk about where this years Canucks will end up at the end of the season, it makes me think to myself.. What are the Canucks to do with the all the pending UFAs this year.

I believe the Canucks can make the play-offs again this year, but can they win it? It would be a pretty tough road, but anything is possible. My opinion, no. I don't think the Canucks quite have what it takes to go all the way, though I do think they will make the playoffs.

I personally would still like to see pending UFAs get traded for the future, maybe a few players that could play now, regardless of where we are in the standings.

But hey, if the Canucks are top 5 in the league, make a run for the cup with what we got, just don't trade future for now in doing so.

What's your guys opinions? Do we trade a couple of them? All of them?

It's an interesting year for the Canucks.

***THIS IS A THEORETICAL QUESTION, I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK THEY WILL MISS, THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT***

Vrbata for a 1st

Higgins for 2nd

Hamhuis for 1st+B prospect

OR

Edler for 1st + A- prospect

2016 draft

Three 1sts

Three 2nds

2 additional decent prospects

That's 8 new solid to excellent prospects into our system- talk about a stimulus package

That's 6 picks in top 60 - that would be an unprecedented draft for this franchise and we aren't even tearing that much of our core up so that in 2017 we still have done leaders

Vrbata for a 1st

Higgins for 2nd

OR

2016 draft

Three 1sts

Three 2nds

That's 6 picks in top 60 - that would be an unprecedented draft and we aren't even tearing that much of our core up

I definitely disagree on trading Edler, or anyone on the D line other than Hamhuis.

Vrbata for a 1st

Higgins for 2nd

OR

2016 draft

Three 1sts

Three 2nds

That's 8 new solid to excellent prospects into our system- talk about a stimulus package

That's 6 picks in top 60 - that would be an unprecedented draft for this franchise and we aren't even tearing that much of our core up so that in 2017 we still have done leaders

dont think hamhuis or edler can get that much

It really depends on lots of factors, like what kind of season the Canucks are having, what kind of season the players are having, what teams certain players will waive for, what's being offered for said players, what some players may re-sign for, etc.

Honestly, this poll is about 6 months too soon, it's the middle of July for cryin' out loud.

We need to get value out of every expiring contract that we don't intend to re-sign, regardless of playoff position at the deadline.

This club needs future assets. They can't afford to let guys like Vrbata and Hamhuis slip away for zero return (although I wouldn't be against extending Hamhuis). Sure keeping them past the deadline helps us win right now, but losing that trade value (if not extended and allowed to go UFA) will hurt us far more in the long run.

I look at it this way. Let's say the value is a couple first round picks. Try imagining we already have those picks. The deals are already done. But the Canucks are in a playoff spot on deadline day. Would people be ok spending a couple first round picks on acquiring rentals for a playoff run? With this team? At this stage of the re-tool?

If you're not ok with the idea of trading first rounders for rentals, then you're not ok with holding onto those expiring contracts. Even if we're in a playoff spot.

Not unless we're realistically contending for the Stanley Cup.

And I think we all can agree that we're not Cup contenders this year.

If Hamhuis is highly valued around the league I don't think Benning should hesitate in trading him for good value. In a perfect world we'd trade him for a 1st+ at the deadline then re-sign him next summer. Same for Vrbata if we're on the outside looking in.

But hey, if we end up trading Hamhuis for that kind of package, make the playoffs and go on a run I wouldn't be mad at all.

Vrbata for a 1st

Higgins for 2nd

OR

2016 draft

Three 1sts

Three 2nds

I agree. Except Higgins isn't going to net a 2nd. We'd be lucky for a 3rd.

Yes of course we should do deals if they are available, but think CDC over value our players.

The last few player deals showed that we weren't getting what people were expecting.

Time will tell but doubt we will be swimming in first round picks at next draft. (here's hoping though).

We will see as it goes, but there is really no point in losing some of these guys to free agency in the name of a playoff round or two. If Clendening and Corrado prove themselves them that makes a Hamhuis trade more likely. I would hate to see Vrbata walk for nothing in free agency and I could imagine management would feel the same. Higgins is my real question. What would he fetch? I can't realistically see any better than a 3rd if we got a 2nd for Bieksa.

Archived