The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Trade deadline question!

5Fivehole0

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

vrbata and hamhuis can get at least a 1st each, but the way benning is going, we might be lucky to get a 2nd considering benning likes to undervalue the players and then blames 'the market'.

I am super excited for deadline day this year. I hope even if we are a tweener team we can trade a few expiring contracts for picks and prospects.

I think the main difference between this year and the past few is that Benning will finally be dealing from a position of strength instead of being handcuffed.

Vrbata for a 1st

Higgins for 2nd

Hamhuis for 1st+B prospect

OR

Edler for 1st + A- prospect

2016 draft

Three 1sts

Three 2nds

2 additional decent prospects

That's 8 new solid to excellent prospects into our system- talk about a stimulus package

That's 6 picks in top 60 - that would be an unprecedented draft for this franchise and we aren't even tearing that much of our core up so that in 2017 we still have done leaders

dream big. Move a couple low firsts and acquire a high first. Dreams....

dont think hamhuis or edler can get that much

Trades made at or prior to last years deadline:

Brayden Coburn traded from Philly to Tampa in axchange for.1st round pick, 3rd round pick, Radko Gudas.

Keith Yandle, Chris Summers, 4th round pick to the Rangers from Phoenix in exchange for John Moore, Anthony Duclair, 2016 1st round & 2015 2nd round pick.

Andrej Sekera to the Kings from Carolina in exchange for Roland McKeown and a 1st round pick

I'd say Hamhuis or Edler could fetch something similar to those trades.

Hamhuis 50 % retained for 1st, prospect

Vrbata 50% Retained for 1st and prospect

Higgins 3rd

This is a good point. The Canucks could probably get more in trade for Vrby and Hammer at the deadline if they retain salary, and 50% is the most they can retain. Of course, at that stage of the season, most of the salary has already been paid, the the acquiring team would only gain 50% of the pro-rated residual salary. But it would still help.

This is a good point. The Canucks could probably get more in trade for Vrby and Hammer at the deadline if they retain salary, and 50% is the most they can retain. Of course, at that stage of the season, most of the salary has already been paid, the the acquiring team would only gain 50% of the pro-rated residual salary. But it would still help.

Is there precedence for this? It seems to make sense but can you retain salary on a rental? I've only seen it done on longer term deals.

We will see as it goes, but there is really no point in losing some of these guys to free agency in the name of a playoff round or two. If Clendening and Corrado prove themselves them that makes a Hamhuis trade more likely. I would hate to see Vrbata walk for nothing in free agency and I could imagine management would feel the same. Higgins is my real question. What would he fetch? I can't realistically see any better than a 3rd if we got a 2nd for Bieksa.

This is exactly what Benning meant when he was talking about not re-signing or extending Hamhuis and Vrbata this summer. It's a case of wait and see how things go with the 2015-16 version of the Canucks. Come trade deadline they are possible rentals.

Benning should be keeping his eye on the big picture and that is a possible cup in 5? years. He should be thinking about adding draft picks and/or moving up in the draft to get a top D. Why would he not move a number of players out as rentals at the deadline? Prices are highest then. The reason may be that Benning wants to be competitive for player development but what is the greater good?

Higgins is unattractive as trade bait because he has 2 years remaining on his contract and a limited NTC. Nobody wants a piece of that contract unfortunately even though he might be a nice support player to have.

Possible rentals with 1 year remaining are: Vrbata, Hamhuis, Prust others wouldn't be attractive in a rental market.

I'd package Vrbata and Higgins and retain 50% on Vrby. That should fetch us at least a 1st round pick and a top prospect.

I'd do that easily considering we'd still have a nice amount of cap space after. Teams should be foaming at the mouth at the thought of having Vrbata at $2.5 million.

Archived