The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Replacement for Hamhuis

With Hamhuis either likely to be traded at the 2015-2016 trade deadline, or walking to free agency, it's obvious the Canucks need a replacement for him on the left side on defence. If you look at our prospects, we're stacked down the middle with two way centers (Horvat, Cassels, McCann, Gaunce), right wingers (Virtanen, Boeser, Vey, Hansen), left wingers (Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Jensen), goalies (Markstrom, Demko) and even right handed defencemen (Tanev, Corrado, Clendening, Subban).

The big problem with this Canucks team has always been a lack of truly elite defencemen, and with Hamhuis bound to be playing in his last season, we're going to get a lot thinner on the left side. We'll have a 30 year old Alex Edler, a departing Hamhuis, a shaky Luca Sbisa and an uncertain Bartowski. In terms of prospects, we don't have many good defencemen in our prospect pool who can play on the left side apart from Hutton and Pedan, and their ceilings are 2nd or 3rd pairing guys in the NHL at the very best to be honest.

Simply put: we need a young left handed defenceman, ideally a puck mover, who can play 20 minutes a night in 2016-2017 and eventually become our top pairing star.

TO ANA: Jared McCann + 4th round pick

TO VAN: Shea Theodore

Why Vancouver Does this:

Like I said, we need a future star left handed defenceman and Theodore is just that. We give up McCann because we have Horvat taking one top-2 center positions and Cassels following his amazing Memorial Cup deserves to stay over McCann. Quite frankly we could trade either McCann or Cassels, but his performance in the Memorial Cup and leadership is something this future core in Vancouver could use.

Why Anaheim Does This:

They have Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen and Despres on their defence locked in to top-4 roles for the foreseable future. Sure, Theodore could outplay Despres but he'd be hard-pressed to score 40-50 points in the NHL which is what he'd have to do to bounce one of their big-3 off minutes. He won't get a good sniff on that stacked young Anaheim blueline that has enough puck moving ability.

Meanwhile, the Ducks lack a solid two-way center in their prospect pool. Getzlaf and Kesler are only getting older, and McCann would be the perfect replacement for them in the future. McCann was originally going to be Anaheim's pick anyway.

Why The Trade Is Fair:

McCann was a former 24th overall pick, Theodore was a 26th overall pick. McCann excelled in his first season back in junior following the draft, as did Theodore at similar rates. In Theodore's next season he played just as well but excelled in the 9 few AHL games he played, scoring 11 points. In my opinion, they improving at similar rates although Theodore has 1 extra season of proven worth whereas McCann may take a step forward or a step back this coming season. Because of that uncertainty, I say we offer a late 4th round pick to sweeten the deal.

The trade works for both teams and addresses both the Ducks and Canucks' issues. They need a young two-way center which we have plenty of and we need a young left handed puck moving defenceman which they have a plethora of. We've made very good deals in the past that work out well for both teams and this would be yet another

Future Plan:

Leave Theodore in the AHL for most of next season as a replacement for Corrado, Clendening and BoSang. He'll rack up the points and experience, and hopefully get a couple of call-ups over the course of the season due to injuries.

In 2016-2017, when Hamhuis walks we can decide to re-sign Bartowski or let Theodore jump into the 2nd pairing left spot and go with this:

Edler - Tanev

Theodore - Clendening/UFA

Sbisa - Corrado/Bartowski

In 2017-2018 (when the rest of our young core will be starting to hit their prime), Theodore takes the reins as our top pairing defenceman:

Theodore - Tanev

Edler - Clendening

Sbisa - Corrado

Subban

IMO Hamhuis would be better than McCann. Anaheim would very likely be stocking up for the playoffs and Hamhuis is a solid defenseman for a Cup run, with the added chemistry he'd have Bieksa and Kesler, and if they didn't have the cap room, they could let him go at the end of the season. Who knows? Maybe he'd be 2016's Vermette.

McCann is still a wild card. He could fit in anywhere on the center depth chart, maybe he'll move to wing if there's not enough room down the middle.

Hamhuis for Theodore (+?) makes more sense.

I kinda wish we had just drafted Theodore. He went 3 or 4 picks after Shinkaruk a couple of years ago by memory.

Theodore played top pair at this past years WJC's. Shinkaruk is a fair dinkum prospect. But I think its fair to say he has been passed at this stage?

McCann also looks good. Its not like you have put shat in the trade offer.

I just don't see teams giving up a stud, looking really sure, D prospect for a less advanced guy.

I'm all for a trade like this (one of our top prospects at C for a bluechip D). However, your proposal is extremely light on our side.

In their top-50 prospects (not including 2015 draft), Hockeysfuture.com has Theodore as the 17th best prospect out there. McCann is not rated (only Canuck is Virtanen at #31. Now, I'm not saying HF is a completely accurate tool for assessing prospect value. But it is at least an indication that Theodore carries far more weight among most observers.

Honestly though, I don't see why Anaheim would part with Theodore. An extra top-4 young guy that they can keep in the system for call-ups and injury replacement is far more valuable to them right now than a prospect that won't help them for a couple more years.

anahiem is close on the cap issue look for hamius to go to a team with a lot of space or wait till the trade deadline for a contender to come calling...........you gotta think that dan and his agent are fully aware of the circumstances..........while players say they don't know good agents are always in contact with their players........

IMO Hamhuis would be better than McCann. Anaheim would very likely be stocking up for the playoffs and Hamhuis is a solid defenseman for a Cup run, with the added chemistry he'd have Bieksa and Kesler, and if they didn't have the cap room, they could let him go at the end of the season. Who knows? Maybe he'd be 2016's Vermette.

McCann is still a wild card. He could fit in anywhere on the center depth chart, maybe he'll move to wing if there's not enough room down the middle.

Hamhuis for Theodore (+?) makes more sense.

That is pretty smart, tbh. I'm sure Hammer would be willing to go to the Ducks at the deadline, he would only improve their D.

I'm definitely liking the sound of Hamhuis to Anaheim at the deadline

Edit: Also, it would be smart since he gets to go on a legit Cup run, and the possibility of him re-signing with Van is high (Vermette did the same, so Hammer could too)

anahiem is close on the cap issue look for hamius to go to a team with a lot of space or wait till the trade deadline for a contender to come calling...........you gotta think that dan and his agent are fully aware of the circumstances..........while players say they don't know good agents are always in contact with their players........

Anaheim has $15 million in cap space...

Agreed with most comments:

Hammer to Anaheim looks good, he could really lock things down for them, and we'd get 1st and decent prospect IMO.
Wonder if they would give up a roster D (e.g. Despres) straight-up for Hammer? I'd do that too if they would.

Not a fan of trading McCann, he broke out this past season, and the team needs to stock up on potential #1 C.
Hank won't be around forever, Jared has the highest talent ceiling and is most capable of filling that spot IMO.

They have Rakell, who's only 22. I'm sure they'd take a decent prospect in trade but not sure it's for Theodore.

I feel everyone's too hyped about Cole, just b/c he shut down MacD doesn't mean he's the next Kesler or #1 C.

I wouldn't do the McCann/Theodore deal. Corrado can play the left side, and we have Hutton at least who could be a call up, but also Pedan (if healthy) and others that are in the pipeline (Tryamkin for one, but also McEneny, Sautner and Cederholm who are a bit further away).

But this is the thing. You can quote me now. Jim Benning will get a top defensive prospect in next years draft. We have the potential to have 2 or 3 first rounders with Vrbata and Hamhuis. At worst, we would fetch at least 2 seconds, making 4 second round picks or better.

Whether JB will have to package up those picks to get a higher one, or straight up draft, he will walk out with a top tier defensive prospect. I suspect our highest pick will most likely be a defensman, unless there is some amazing forward who fell into our laps.

There's no need to give up McCann. Next Year Hutton will probably be ready to step into the NHL, and Brisebois will come short after. Just be patient, and wait for JB to draft his star defensman. Apparently he thinks this years draft is stronger anyway.

Now, that being said. I could get behind a Hamhuis/Theodore type deal

But this is the thing. You can quote me now. Jim Benning will get a top defensive prospect in next years draft. We have the potential to have 2 or 3 first rounders with Vrbata and Hamhuis. At worst, we would fetch at least 2 seconds, making 4 second round picks or better.

Whether JB will have to package up those picks to get a higher one, or straight up draft, he will walk out with a top tier defensive prospect. I suspect our highest pick will most likely be a defensman, unless there is some amazing forward who fell into our laps.

There's no need to give up McCann. Next Year Hutton will probably be ready to step into the NHL, and Brisebois will come short after. Just be patient, and wait for JB to draft his star defensman. Apparently he thinks this years draft is stronger anyway.

Hutton may be promising, but he's still probably 2-3 years away.

And barring a lottery win (remember the top 3 are all done by lottery starting in 2016), whoever we nab in this draft will probably be even further away.

Jamie Oleksiak is a guy who may be available, and he's ready to play a regular shift now. There will be some growing pains, but if we're not in the playoff picture, it won't be so bad. And if he pans out, he'll be in his prime when the 2016 draftees are making the lineup.

With Hamhuis either likely to be traded at the 2015-2016 trade deadline, or walking to free agency, it's obvious the Canucks need a replacement for him on the left side on defence. If you look at our prospects, we're stacked down the middle with two way centers (Horvat, Cassels, McCann, Gaunce), right wingers (Virtanen, Boeser, Vey, Hansen), left wingers (Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Jensen), goalies (Markstrom, Demko) and even right handed defencemen (Tanev, Corrado, Clendening, Subban).

The big problem with this Canucks team has always been a lack of truly elite defencemen, and with Hamhuis bound to be playing in his last season, we're going to get a lot thinner on the left side. We'll have a 30 year old Alex Edler, a departing Hamhuis, a shaky Luca Sbisa and an uncertain Bartowski. In terms of prospects, we don't have many good defencemen in our prospect pool who can play on the left side apart from Hutton and Pedan, and their ceilings are 2nd or 3rd pairing guys in the NHL at the very best to be honest.

Simply put: we need a young left handed defenceman, ideally a puck mover, who can play 20 minutes a night in 2016-2017 and eventually become our top pairing star.

TO ANA: Jared McCann + 4th round pick

TO VAN: Shea Theodore

Why Vancouver Does this:

Like I said, we need a future star left handed defenceman and Theodore is just that. We give up McCann because we have Horvat taking one top-2 center positions and Cassels following his amazing Memorial Cup deserves to stay over McCann. Quite frankly we could trade either McCann or Cassels, but his performance in the Memorial Cup and leadership is something this future core in Vancouver could use.

Why Anaheim Does This:

They have Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen and Despres on their defence locked in to top-4 roles for the foreseable future. Sure, Theodore could outplay Despres but he'd be hard-pressed to score 40-50 points in the NHL which is what he'd have to do to bounce one of their big-3 off minutes. He won't get a good sniff on that stacked young Anaheim blueline that has enough puck moving ability.

Meanwhile, the Ducks lack a solid two-way center in their prospect pool. Getzlaf and Kesler are only getting older, and McCann would be the perfect replacement for them in the future. McCann was originally going to be Anaheim's pick anyway.

Why The Trade Is Fair:

McCann was a former 24th overall pick, Theodore was a 26th overall pick. McCann excelled in his first season back in junior following the draft, as did Theodore at similar rates. In Theodore's next season he played just as well but excelled in the 9 few AHL games he played, scoring 11 points. In my opinion, they improving at similar rates although Theodore has 1 extra season of proven worth whereas McCann may take a step forward or a step back this coming season. Because of that uncertainty, I say we offer a late 4th round pick to sweeten the deal.

The trade works for both teams and addresses both the Ducks and Canucks' issues. They need a young two-way center which we have plenty of and we need a young left handed puck moving defenceman which they have a plethora of. We've made very good deals in the past that work out well for both teams and this would be yet another

Future Plan:

Leave Theodore in the AHL for most of next season as a replacement for Corrado, Clendening and BoSang. He'll rack up the points and experience, and hopefully get a couple of call-ups over the course of the season due to injuries.

In 2016-2017, when Hamhuis walks we can decide to re-sign Bartowski or let Theodore jump into the 2nd pairing left spot and go with this:

Edler - Tanev

Theodore - Clendening/UFA

Sbisa - Corrado/Bartowski

In 2017-2018 (when the rest of our young core will be starting to hit their prime), Theodore takes the reins as our top pairing defenceman:

Theodore - Tanev

Edler - Clendening

Sbisa - Corrado

Subban

I don't think it is likely Hamhuis leaves, he is a very solid competitor and brings a high ed skill set. He may not be the loudest leader in the room, but i'd argue one of the more respected by hiss teammates.

I also do not see Anaheim moving Theodore, they really have a top end prospect here that they can develop into a solid producer on the back end. Vancouver could not get him for what is being proposed, yet at the same time McCann is not a player you want to give up on.

Usually NHL clubs move a younger player after they've seen what they have at the NHL level, McCann and Theodore both have not shown their respective clubs what they can do.

I find people use the term "giving up" on a prospect too much regarding trading a young prospect for another young prospect. If we traded McCann for a pick or even a rental at a deadline I could see the term being thrown around. But if we have depth at a position and a lack of depth at a different position, it's not giving up on anyone, it's good asset management.

Regarding Cassels, as someone mentioned we may be too high on him right now. He played great and is developing beyond where we would expect that this stage in his development but it's still a fairly small sample size. With that said the way he is trending is the reason we can even think about trading guys like McCann and Guance. Anytime you have a mid to late round pick excell like he has it puts a GM in a great position because those players make an impact in the NHL so rarely.

Archived