The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Braden Holtby asks for $8 million per season in arbitration (UPDATED: Holtby Signs for 30.5/5)

How is this pretty hilarious ?

This in no way would sour the player's relationship with management, this is business and last I checked Braden is starting to fit into the position of an elite starting goaltender in this League and his numbers back that up.

So going into arbitration and asking for a substantial raise, well the player has earned it, highly unlikely the number ends up being 8m per, I figure he will earn in the 5.75m - 6.5m range when its all said and done.

Grubauer has a lot of potential and has shown he is capable in the NHL, but he is not going to take the starter's role from Holtby, he may push him providing a solid 1A/1B potential down the road.

Again this is negotiation and Holtby is in no way risking anything long term with the Capitals by asking for a high number, he will be signed and both sides will be happy assuming Holtby continues to trend upwards.

Okay let me re-iterate something I said before

Braden Holtby has played one, ONE full season as the starter of the Washington Capitals.

Just one.

You know who else was an amazing goalie in the playoffs in the early going, and posted a career year in 2005-2006? A guy by the name of Manny Legace. Would you give Legace anything north of 7 million given what he did the rest of the way?

How about a guy named Mike Leighton who caught fire and carried the Flyers to the finals?

Does Anti Niemi get excused from the argument, who was an amazing goaltender for the Blackhawks and Sharks fans couldn't wait to get rid of him?

Why does a guy like Lundqvist deserve 8.5 million? Because he's cinsistently been an elite goaltender for almost a decade in the league.

Holtby THUS FAR has proven he is an elite goalie, but he needs a bigger body of work before I throw anything North of Carey Price money at him. Period.

If it takes Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane 3 Stanley cups and several seasons of dominance to reach the top of the ladder in Player money, then Holtby is no exception simply because he's had a couple of great playoffs, and therefore shouldn't be in Lundqvist territory

Negotiation tactic, sure. I get it. But I do find it hilarious that he could even potentially try to justify he's worth that much

He is better than Tukka Rask, Cory Schneider and Ben Bishop. He should get close to 7 over 7.

1. Tuukka

2. Cory

3. Braden

4. Ben

I like Holtby's age though, and his ability to shrug off nay-sayers and play big in the playoffs. I thought his playoff run this year was some of the best goaltending I've seen in a long time, but he doesn't have the same graceful, confident style that Tuukka and Cory have. They're all very close though.

Braden Holtby has played one, ONE full season as the starter of the Washington Capitals.

Just one.

You know who else was an amazing goalie in the playoffs in the early going, and posted a career year in 2005-2006? A guy by the name of Manny Legace. Would you give Legace anything north of 7 million given what he did the rest of the way?

How about a guy named Mike Leighton who caught fire and carried the Flyers to the finals?

Does Anti Niemi get excused from the argument, who was an amazing goaltender for the Blackhawks and Sharks fans couldn't wait to get rid of him?

Why does a guy like Lundqvist deserve 8.5 million? Because he's cinsistently been an elite goaltender for almost a decade in the league.

Holtby THUS FAR has proven he is an elite goalie, but he needs a bigger body of work before I throw anything North of Carey Price money at him. Period.

If it takes Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane 3 Stanley cups and several seasons of dominance to reach the top of the ladder in Player money, then Holtby is no exception simply because he's had a couple of great playoffs, and therefore shouldn't be in Lundqvist territory

Negotiation tactic, sure. I get it. But I do find it hilarious that he could even potentially try to justify he's worth that much

No he has been their starter for over two seasons now. He had struggled with consistency when he came into the League, however he earned an opportunity from year one to develop into the starter he is now.

I understand from an outside point of view perhaps feeling a bigger body of work to justify things is in order I get that, but the team has been grooming him since day one to come in and be the starter, they know what they had and continue to have. I don't agree he should be paid 8m plus per season but he is within his right to set the bar in arbitration.

1. Tuukka

2. Cory

3. Braden

4. Ben

I like Holtby's age though, and his ability to shrug off nay-sayers and play big in the playoffs. I thought his playoff run this year was some of the best goaltending I've seen in a long time, but he doesn't have the same graceful, confident style that Tuukka and Cory have. They're all very close though.

1. Brayden

2. Cory

3. Tuukka

4. Ben

Just one.

:huh: - Your examples are terrible.

Manny Legace played a total of 11 playoff games. In his absolute best series, he went 2-2 with a .905 save percentage.

Michael Leighton "catching fire" was 14 playoff games in 2009-10. He had a .916 save percentage over them.

I repeat: Braden Holtby's .936 career playoff save percentage is the BEST OF ALL TIME - and by a few points. And it's not just one year - it's 34 games, over 3 seasons in 4 years. It's under 3 different head coaches, with varying philosophies of play. And it's without having any Chara/Keith/Doughty perennial Norris stud to play behind.

Holtby at this point has proven a helluva lot more than Rinne did when he got his 7 x 7, and the cap has risen since. I think him seeking somewhere around 6-6.5 is perfectly reasonable, especially if it's a shorter (3-5 year) term.

This is pretty hilarious, quite honestly.

I think he knows he won't ever get the 8 million but doing something so absurd is a surefire way to sour your relationship with your current team.

Going to arbitration is also a surefire way to sour a team's relationship with a player. He's entitled to ask for that, as the Caps are entitled to low-ball him. He'll get $6m-$6.5m long-term. And he's worth it.

to be fair green was nominated for the Norris twice.

So, for the purposes of this discussion, that means he was just as solid defensively as Chara/Keith/Doughty?

Having to play being Green should make Holtby's stats all the more impressive.

Not really hilarious. This guy is a fantastic goalie. He may not get that much this year, but he will eventually.

His stats do not lie. First in GP, second in Wins, seventh in SV%, fifth in GAA, second in SO. And in the playoffs he had a .944 SV% and a 1.71 GAA. I mean this guy can play and he proved it in the playoffs. He was on tier with Lundqvist so saying he's going to sour his relationships is a bit absurd, in my opinion.

This.. also why wouldn't he go into arbitration with a larger number than he actually wants. He knows they won't give it to him but if the caps are offering 5.5 and he asks for 8, 6.5 mil would be a likely outcome.

This.. also why wouldn't he go into arbitration with a larger number than he actually wants. He knows they won't give it to him but if the caps are offering 5.5 and he asks for 8, 6.5 mil would be a likely outcome.

You guys do realize that an arbitrator isn't going to just throw figures out there in between what two parties are asking right? An arbitrator is not a mediator

If Bisonette goes to arbitration and says I want 8 million they're not going to give him 4 because it's in between what he wants and what the team wants.

I'm sure what Holtby asks means little to nothing at all. Look at Subban who got more than he was asking

It's based on performance and precedence. Asking for 8 million does nothing but aggetate the the other party who realizes how ridiculous it is

:huh: - Your examples are terrible.

Manny Legace played a total of 11 playoff games. In his absolute best series, he went 2-2 with a .905 save percentage.

Michael Leighton "catching fire" was 14 playoff games in 2009-10. He had a .916 save percentage over them.

I repeat: Braden Holtby's .936 career playoff save percentage is the BEST OF ALL TIME - and by a few points. And it's not just one year - it's 34 games, over 3 seasons in 4 years. It's under 3 different head coaches, with varying philosophies of play. And it's without having any Chara/Keith/Doughty perennial Norris stud to play behind.

Holtby at this point has proven a helluva lot more than Rinne did when he got his 7 x 7, and the cap has risen since. I think him seeking somewhere around 6-6.5 is perfectly reasonable, especially if it's a shorter (3-5 year) term.

Archived