The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Braden Holtby asks for $8 million per season in arbitration (UPDATED: Holtby Signs for 30.5/5)

So, for the purposes of this discussion, that means he was just as solid defensively as Chara/Keith/Doughty?

Having to play being Green should make Holtby's stats all the more impressive.

The sole purpose of discussion was Norris calibre defencemen. You didn't realize that green was nominated multiple times and I enlightened you. Just helping you out bud.

The sole purpose of discussion was Norris calibre defencemen. You didn't realize that green was nominated multiple times and I enlightened you. Just helping you out bud.

No, the sole purpose of the discussion was Braden Holtby's goaltending, which is virtually unaffected by Green's offensive production (other than wins, potentially).

And sorry to say, I already knew he was nominated. But obviously not for the reasons pertaining to this thread.

here is the extent of my discussion....

I read your post and thought I would throw you a bone and let you know that you were a little off base.

without having any Chara/Keith/Doughty perennial Norris stud to play behind.

i merely stated a fact...

to be fair green was nominated for the Norris twice.

Then you changed your opinion to "solid defensively"

So, for the purposes of this discussion, that means he was just as solid defensively as Chara/Keith/Doughty?

Having to play being Green should make Holtby's stats all the more impressive.

once again I had never commented on Holtby or Greens defensive prowess one way or another. the sole purpose of my discussion was the fact that green was nominated for a Norris perennially.

Sorry for nit picking I tend to do it from time to time :P

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/braden-holtby-asks-for--8-million-per-season-in-arbitration-140929739.html

This is pretty hilarious, quite honestly.

I think he knows he won't ever get the 8 million but doing something so absurd is a surefire way to sour your relationship with your current team.

Because the arbitration process in which a team has to explain to a third party why paying a player less than said player thinks they deserve is completely healthy to the relationship. Tit for tat, squire.

did Doughty win the Norris? why is he on D-Money's list of Norris stud?

I think D-Money's point, which shouldn't even require any discussion as it's crystal clear, is that Green is primarily an offensive defenseman who is not known to be responsible or difficult to play against in his own end. His "Norris" seasons, which were astounding offensively, should have been enough to win. However, his questionable defensive play came (and always has) into question.

As for Doughty, a two time Olympian and two time Stanley Cup Champion, most people know he's one of the best on both sides of the ice.

I understand that people love to have the last word over the internet (and in general) and also love to argue over semantics. But to keep things simple, Holtby put up terrific numbers behind an absolutely sub-par defensive unit. No person alive would consider Green a "defense first" guy.

I think D-Money's point, which shouldn't even require any discussion as it's crystal clear, is that Green is primarily an offensive defenseman who is not known to be responsible or difficult to play against in his own end. His "Norris" seasons, which were astounding offensively, should have been enough to win. However, his questionable defensive play came (and always has) into question.

As for Doughty, a two time Olympian and two time Stanley Cup Champion, most people know he's one of the best on both sides of the ice.

I understand that people love to have the last word over the internet (and in general) and also love to argue over semantics. But to keep things simple, Holtby put up terrific numbers behind an absolutely sub-par defensive unit. No person alive would consider Green a "defense first" guy.

fair enough.. I was just arguing for the sake of arguing ~ I know Green is not Doughty :D

And to think that some folks here thought $5.3 mil cap was too high for an elite goalie...

Except if you subtract the final 3 years of Luongo's contract, the salary hit would have been around $6.5 million per. Considering the cap was approximately 65 million, he would have consumed 10% of the cap. His previous contract was $7+ million when the cap was even lower.

Holtby will probably get $6.5, and with the cap at $71, he will still be earning less than Luongo ratio-wise.

Except if you subtract the final 3 years of Luongo's contract, the salary hit would have been around $6.5 million per. Considering the cap was approximately 65 million, he would have consumed 10% of the cap. His previous contract was $7+ million when the cap was even lower.

Holtby will probably get $6.5, and with the cap at $71, he will still be earning less than Luongo ratio-wise.

He's still "consuming" $800,000 of our cap.

But why do that? Did we count 5.3 cap hit when we rode him to the finals and got extra space to fit a guy like higgy or lappy?

It was 5.3 cap hit and that's all that mattered.

Archived