The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Virtanen and Baertschi have what it takes to be first liners?

Gretzky to Lemieux

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Too early to tell, both have great potential.

Though, the fact that Bo Horvat has already made the NHL and has proven he can put up points at this level at such a young age is a good sign. He can only go up from here, just how far.

Cannot stand Fraudreau as he's a Cgy player and because of his fake ass becoming this unearned pseudostar. Represents all that is going wrong with the sport today.

I would confidently state that it is very premature for him to have done it. I mean Crosby near SLAUGHTERED in his rookie campaign, but he didn't change his name to "Hockey Crosby".

But hey, professional sports careers are short lived in most cases, you got to milk it while you can because a day job awaits when you retire.

Johnny Day Job.

Kind of like the sound of that.

Gaudreau is 21. You're mixed up with Bennett. Still, the ol' "IT'S JOHNNY GAUDREAU!!!!!" did get a tad old.

Ah shyte. You are correct. Nevertheless, I did tire of Jim Hughson constantly lapping up Gaudreau's nether regions. Bennett's too, I suppose.

*on topic*

Still think at least one of them will make the top 3 one day, hopefully on this team too.

Your poll is so god damned bias that I refuse to answer. Each answer is a fly or fail statement.

I think Virtanen will turn into a solid 2nd line winger, and I think Ehler's has the potential to surpass that by a fair margin but I don't think he'll reach it.

Virtanen was the wrong pick between the two in a vacuum but the right pick given our circumstances.

I also think Nylander will surpass both. But who am I anyways?

I believe Baertschi and Vey are two of our prospects that will impress this year, due to age,state of development,and physical maturity , so yes i believe"Sven Can" be top six!! Much like Naslunds early years, pittsburg did like wise.

Virtanen is just so young still , its in his best interest (imo) to get his game or so, then back down for a solid year and wjc . Go Canada!

Judging by how Virtanen presents himself, he seems intelligent to me, cocky yes, but I think he has high expectations for himself. Your own desire is the most important thing, I could see virt being a first liner, maybe not a 50 goal scorer, but a force of a player.

Baertschi McCann Boeser

Cassels Horvat Virtanen

Baertschi McCann Boeser

Shinkaruk Horvat Virtanen

Kenins Cassels Jensen

Gaunce Pettit Grenier

Stewart

That's a pretty good lineup if everybody reaches their potential. 3 lines that can score on any given night and a 4th line that can play the body.

EDIT:

Tryamkin Clendenning

Hutton Corrado

Cederholm Subban

Pedan

Defense needs work

I could see Virtanen being a top liner. Baertschi... well hopefully he turns out, i would be ecstatic if either were a top liner, but like said in other posts, both could be busts, be AHLers for life.

Baertschi McCann Boeser

Shinkaruk Horvat Virtanen

Kenins Cassels Jensen

Gaunce Pettit Grenier

Stewart

That's a pretty good lineup if everybody reaches their potential. 3 lines that can score on any given night and a 4th line that can play the body.

EDIT:

Tryamkin Clendenning

Hutton Corrado

Cederholm Subban

Pedan

Defense needs work

This is close to my opinion of what the all-prospect Canuck line up might look like.

As for forwards, I'm happy. With the addition of Boeser, I think there is the potential for a complete top 6. Mind you, that's only potential. Someone may not make it and someone else may surprise. As for 1st line, 2nd line, it's hard to say where anybody will fit in 5 years.

Add to the list Brisbois on defense.

Also, some players who may not be considered pure prospects may be around for a long time like Tanev, 26 this year.

And then there's Linden Vey. Seriously, I'm expecting a breakout year from him this year. Whether he fits the long term plans of the Canucks I don't know but by Christmas, some may have forgotten his sometimes shaky rookie season. How's that for sticking my neck out?

Jake looks like a power forward in the making. Great shot, can skate down the wing and not get taken out so easily, and seems to charge to the net hard. I do not care if he scores 50 goals or 100 points, as long as he keeps his power game and brings it to the NHL, then he is worth every penny. I would rather have a guy who is mean, fast and nasty to play against than a soft player who simply puts up points.

As for Sven, I think 2nd liner is his ceiling, he has displayed some decent skills in the bigs, he seems like a playmaker though and will be interesting to see if he can set up Verby for some beauties.

I believe Virtanen has the ability to play 1st line; I could see him as a 30 goal, 50-60 point player, consistently, that uses his physicality to clear a path to the net. Whether he will or not, there are so many variables that go into this kind of projection that you never know. Is he McDavid? Lord no.

Baertschi, no he tops out on the 2nd line, at best. Talent he has, but something about his drive (or lack of, at times) makes me top him out at 2nd. 20 goals, sure...30, maybe once or twice in his career, but only with the right linemates.

The future will answer this question.

I have to jump on the bandwagon. Projecting the ceiling for Virtanen and Baertschi at this stage is nothing more than a WAG (wild guess).

They both could be solid first liners or they both could max out at the AHL-NHL tweener level.

Even though Horvat is younger than Baertschi there is a lot more to go on in his case because he has shown he can play effectively in the NHL. But the high skill offensive guys who are not great defensively are hard to project, The AHL is full of players of that type (at least one per team and usually two -- offensive stars in Junior or college who could not transition to the NHL and become career AHL "stars").

We should have much better read after the 2015-16 year. Baertschi is at the age where he needs to show he belongs in the NHL as a skill player. If that does not happen this year things will not look for him. Virtanen, in his draft +2 year will be a bit below expectations for the #6 pick if he does not spend significant time with the Canucks this year. But that is not a big deal, Assuming he does not stick with the Canucks this year he needs a big year in Junior and he needs to do well at the world Juniors.

Too early to tell but you can hope they do. Virtanen probably has a better shot given Baertschi was turfed after a lengthy tryout on a team with no top two lines and starving for offense. But you never know. Odds say no, but it would be awesome if they do.

The Canucks haven't had the best of luck in having their draft picks pan out the way the way they want but given Horvats drastic improvement last season and a very good forward prospect pool it's likely that one or more of those picks will turn into legit first line players. The realist side of me says none of the forward prospects scream legit first line potential but the optimist side says a couple of those picks will become first liners. Too early to tell but the Canucks are on the right track. Me thinks management is trying very hard in the last two drafts to draft scoring replacement for when the Sedins leave given the position they have been in.

Archived